Coaching Team Review - please make new plans for 2019

Skipworth wins the Devon review

it was the point we needed but not the point we deserved

1 Like

And strangely, no one has pointed that out before.

1 Like

i see your point

Why does this coaching panel have such an opposition to playing youth? We barely do it during the real season, so you’d think we’d do it in pre season.

But no, instead of having a good look at players like Ham and Draper and Clarke who are apparently looking good on the training track we give them 10 ■■■■■■ minutes in the last quarter of the last practice match.

We have one of the oldest lists in the league and no desire to get youth in.

Just what is this coaching panel about?

2 Likes

Obviously they believe our list is in the premiership window.

We don’t have one of the oldest lists in the comp and obviously they thought the players that are most likely to play round 1 needed more game time.

2 Likes

Probably need to review what the coaches are doing during pre season.

1 Like

It worked last year , so sack one of the ■■■■■■ pre game rd 1 , hopefully that’ll wake up the players.

3 Likes

Bombers get Shaw, Elshaug in part-time recruiting roles

Jake Niall

By Jake Niall

March 13, 2019 — 1.27pm

Essendon have hired former Fitzroy and Adelaide coach and long-time club stalwart Robert Shaw and ex-St Kilda recruiting boss Tony Elshaug in recruiting roles.

The Dons have hired Shaw and Elshaug - both former Essendon players - as part-time scouts.

Robert Shaw is back at Essendon.

Robert Shaw is back at Essendon.CREDIT:CRAIG ABRAHAM

Shaw, a school teacher, will focus on recruiting from the school system, which includes private and Catholic schools, having coached Brighton Grammar’s football program for many years.

Shaw worked as an assistant coach with the Bombers in the late 1990s and 2000s, including for the premiership under Kevin Sheedy.

Like Shaw, Elshaug will report to Essendon’s long-time list and recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro, who has brought in a raft of sought-after seasoned players over the past two post-seasons, headlined by Devon Smith (traded in 2017) and Dylan Shiel (2018) from Greater Western Sydney.

Shaw coached Fitzroy from 1991 until the end of 1994, before crossing to the Crows for the '95 and '96 seasons.

Elshaug played in Essendon’s 1985 premiership side, having crossed to the Dons from Melbourne. He went on to briefly play at Collingwood before making his name as an assistant coach under Denis Pagan at North Melbourne. He finished up with the Saints after several years as the club’s head recruiter.

St Kilda revamped their recruiting structure last year, bringing in a new list manager in James Gallagher, who in effect replaced Elshaug but in a role that placed greater store in contracting and list strategy. Chris Liberatore is national recruiting manager for the Saints.

5 Likes

Shaw has a great eye, I’ve never been completley sold on Tony but I don’t know how much autonomy he had at the saints

1 Like

There is always a few really good prospects hiding in School footy, so it’s good to have Shaw in an official role as opposed to his unofficial one.

It’ll also be good to get some experience in the team in the absence of Keane.

Shaw has a good eye for talent and will be a good asset if they can keep his ego and penchant for politics under control.

Elshaug has an enormous array of contacts.

Two decent gets.

13 Likes

I used to like the game previews he wrote for the Essendon website in 2017. They were usually pretty spot on.

4 Likes

Me, too, man. I really dug the Shawry Analyst’s writings.

5 Likes

Nah.
We’re middle of the pack. We’ve shed a lot of old guys over the past 2 years.

Must’ve been hard to convince R Shaw to report on the school footy!!!

He actually tried to get out of school footy and back into clubland a couple of years ago.
Missed out on the job.

Does this mean we won’t have a head recruiter post Merv. These two and our other existing ones(rob forster Knight) report to Jackets. Or did I miss an announcement.

Rob Forster Knight is head recruiter

5 Likes