Coffee Places

I can’t believe ASADA hasn’t shut this thread down yet.

There’s a book called ‘The Speciality Coffee Book’ for about $40 that is filled with all the good cafes in Victoria, and the stories behind the owners, origins, passion etc. Always good to flick through and find cafes to try out.

We found a great little cafe in Bermagui, NSW called Mr Jones.
Easily the best coffee of our January roadtrip to Sydney & back via coast / high country.
And for extra appeal, its next to an artisan Gelato place run by ex-pat Italians.

Starbucks.

Quoted Post

Starbucks.

modz plz ban

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Starbucks.

modz plz ban

got one!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Starbucks.

modz plz ban

got one!

I tried them for the first time last week.
Because I thought it was wrong of me to slag them off all the time without ever having tried them.
And I went for the flat white, because I’d read that was their attempt at real coffee.

Now, I know this has all been done before, but it’s still a shock when it happens to you.

“What size would you like?”
You shouldn’t even be asking that question. A thing is a thing. It is not that thing if it comes in different sizes, but okay…
“Small. Smallest.”
And I can see the guy’s…oh, btw…did I mention the cough ‘barrista’ looked like he should be at school?..anyway, I can see his embarrasment
“So…a tall.”
This was a bad idea. This was a really bad idea.
“What size is that?”
“This one.”
Points out the smallest size bucket they have
Walk away! Just walk away!
“Sure. Whatever.”

So I tried it.
It was ■■■■.
It was beyond ■■■■. It was the worst coffee I have had since I made myself a ‘corporate blend’ instant coffee at 3am on an overnight shift.
You know what? That was actually better.
Because even in its awfulness it was still strong.

I’m not a coffee snob, I’m really not.
But every Starbucks should be razed to the ground by the general public.
Just don’t.
Not even out of curiosity.
Don’t fall for ‘maybe it’s not as bad as they say.’
It’s far, far, far worse.

I don’t doubt that they can make good milkshakes.

Starbucks don’t do coffee, they do cups of sweet warm milk.

Quoted Post

Starbucks don't do coffee, they do cups of sweet warm milk.

thats something i’ve noticed a lot with seppo coffee, extreme amounts of milk.

@ wimmera1

The Lilydale General (Coffee Supreme/Capulus)

Stirr It Up - Ringwood (Axil Coffee Beans)

The Storehouse - Mt Evelyn (Capulus)

Binario - Nunawading (Four Rascals)

Dark Horse On The Brit - Mitcham (Madamimadam)

The Village Foodstore - Heathmont (Promised Land Coffee)

CoffeeHead - Camberwell (Stock Toby’s Estate, Promised Land etc)

Yes, I work with cafes and love my coffee. I could go on alllll day.

Mt Evelyn also has Billy Goat Brasserie or something. Worth a look. Good food, too. Between them and Lilydale General they employ about 98% of local hipsters.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Starbucks.

modz plz ban

got one!

I tried them for the first time last week.
Because I thought it was wrong of me to slag them off all the time without ever having tried them.
And I went for the flat white, because I’d read that was their attempt at real coffee.

Now, I know this has all been done before, but it’s still a shock when it happens to you.

“What size would you like?”
You shouldn’t even be asking that question. A thing is a thing. It is not that thing if it comes in different sizes, but okay…
“Small. Smallest.”
And I can see the guy’s…oh, btw…did I mention the cough ‘barrista’ looked like he should be at school?..anyway, I can see his embarrasment
“So…a tall.”
This was a bad idea. This was a really bad idea.
“What size is that?”
“This one.”
Points out the smallest size bucket they have
Walk away! Just walk away!
“Sure. Whatever.”

So I tried it.
It was ■■■■.
It was beyond ■■■■. It was the worst coffee I have had since I made myself a ‘corporate blend’ instant coffee at 3am on an overnight shift.
You know what? That was actually better.
Because even in its awfulness it was still strong.

I’m not a coffee snob, I’m really not.
But every Starbucks should be razed to the ground by the general public.
Just don’t.
Not even out of curiosity.
Don’t fall for ‘maybe it’s not as bad as they say.’
It’s far, far, far worse.

I love* that it seems to be all the foreign students who keep them going. I'm sure they look at brochures and websites about where to spend a couple of years living and studying, and pick Melborne because of the somewhat decent coffee and food culture.

And then go to beyond crap American chains.

*hate

Quoted Post

We found a great little cafe in Bermagui, NSW called Mr Jones. Easily the best coffee of our January roadtrip to Sydney & back via coast / high country. And for extra appeal, its next to an artisan Gelato place run by ex-pat Italians.

Both of those places are superb. Bermagui is a great food town. Did you get fish and chips from the Saltwater Cafe too?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
We found a great little cafe in Bermagui, NSW called Mr Jones. Easily the best coffee of our January roadtrip to Sydney & back via coast / high country. And for extra appeal, its next to an artisan Gelato place run by ex-pat Italians.

Both of those places are superb. Bermagui is a great food town. Did you get fish and chips from the Saltwater Cafe too?

Sure did. To be honest, Saltwater F&Cs didn’t meet expectations. Perhaps it was a bad night…
Great part of Oz though, Southern NSW.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Starbucks don't do coffee, they do cups of sweet warm milk.

thats something i’ve noticed a lot with seppo coffee, extreme amounts of milk.

Except for their diner-style brewed coffee. Which is just drinkable if it’s fairly fresh.

When I was in Sacramento in 2010, there was a Westfield mall (half-empty) next door which had a Starbucks. Useful for free wifi. After a month without our coffee, it was drinkable.

Ahhhh I remember my first coffee in America
It was from a McDonalds in San Jose CA, at about 6am after I’d driven non-stop from LA airport after my flight was delayed and I missed the connecting one (this is after I almost topped myself at missing the opportunity to spend the night with a lovely lady from Chicago who was in the same situation as me)
It was about $1 (me not realising their standard coffee was black) and tasted like tar lol

There was a place in San Diego called Pacific Bean at the end of Garnett St in Pacific Beach that was pretty close to “Australian” coffee. Everything else was garbage

Still the first rule for me is…don’t go to coffee places with Asian baristas. Wogs and hipsters only.

there’s a lot more espresso in the US now. In Seattle last year had a a few good brews, especially at a place called Moore Coffee, Mexican baristas who knew their stuff.

As AN said if the drip stuff fresh it can be ok and I did get partial to the cream they use as opposed to normal milk.

I spend at least $50 a week on coffee. Is this normal?

depends was it good?