Collingwood Pelican under investigation for gambling on Pies games

Has no-one at the AFL ever had a bet on an AFL game? Has no-one at AFL House ever accepted hospitality from a betting agency?

Has anyone ever served their suspended part of their sentence or paid the suspended part of their fine? Honestly what is this crap, 22 weeks suspension but you only do 10?

1 Like

Did Stephenson lay a bet at the start of the season for Joey to take Mark of the Year?

Is this what annoyed Howe perhaps to dob him in?

5 Likes

And much like that species he now has a giant bill in front of him

9 Likes

You usurper

10/10

2 Likes

7 Likes

Off topic, but in reference to earlier comment in this thread.

How dare JellyGoose defend the indefensible “racist” profiling comments by an ex politician hated by about 50% of the population of Victoria. JG was on an absolute hiding to nothing and copped a lot of abuse for his trouble.

Jellygoose had the temerity to suggest that the comments might not be “racist”. He is entitled to his view, however, hopefully he now realises that a lynch mod mentality exists on social media, and a person can be howled down by the internet mob, which is not as bad as being frog marched to a tree with a nice strong horizontal branch.

But Kennets comments prove that he has not learned much over the years in terms of how to frame comment so it does not give offence and or make himself the target of an avalanche of condemnation.
There may be a degree of validity in Kennets comments, but it was always 100% guaranteed to be called out as being 100% racist and earn him widespread condemnation.

No doubt he is past it and for all the good he has done in terms of his foundation of and leadership of Beyond Blue over 17 years he now risks terminal damage to his reputation. He needs to stfu.

As for Jellygoose. Shame on him for expressing a contrary view.

Would the 10 week suspension be counted towards the 14 game deregistration threshold? I know our guys were exempted because WADA isn’t an Australian Rules organisation. If it is counted then he can only rack up 6 weeks suspension for the rest of his career. He will need to be careful.

May be one of the reasons they bargained the suspension down to 10…

Why is it that the people saying he was wrong “howled him down”? I was simply pointing out that the comments were most definitely racist. That’s called a discussion. Or did i miss some nastier posts somewhere along the way?

Off field issues don’t count towards deregistration

2 Likes

How do you frame a racist comment so it doesn’t give offence?

A passing comment to Collingwood teammate Jeremy Howe was how Jaidyn Stephenson’s betting scandal began to unravel.

The Age has revealed the dressing room exchange, after Stephenson was banned for 10 matches (with a further 12 suspended) and fined $20,000 by the AFL.

“It was in the rooms at the MCG after the Magpies had just beaten St Kilda by 41 points in round nine – a game in which Stephenson kicked three goals – that the 20-year-old made a passing comment to Howe that one of their teammates had cost him a multi,” The Age reported.

“Stephenson was remarking on the fact one of their teammates hadn’t delivered the number of disposals that he had earlier bet on.”

Howe, part of Collingwood’s leadership group, urged Stephenson to disclose his actions to Pies footy boss Geoff Walsh; who then referred the matter to the AFL.

Stephenson was given a lighter punishment due to his self-reporting and cooperation with the AFL integrity unit. He could return for the finals this season.

In one of the games he kicked a 65m torp goal in the last two minutes. It was his only goal of the game. Him kicking a goal was part of his multi.

Nothing to see here guys, just move along okay?

4 Likes

There’d be a lot more heat on him if he missed it. Lucky.

No, he bet on himself to kick 3. That was his 3rd goal. Many were shocked at the time that he went for the torp with nearly 3 minutes remaining. It also put the margin over 40

1 Like

I’d be ropable of i was Howe being put in that position by someone being that dumb.

The exchange also highlights just how much he could have influenced this bet himself. If that’s all he needed to get he’d have been looking for that player to give the ball to.

2 Likes

Good to see Howe be a real leader. Might have saved Stephenson his career in the long run.

Does JS see it as that or Howe being a snitch?

As i said what an awful postion for Howe to be in

2 Likes