Collingwood Pelican under investigation for gambling on Pies games

By saying the simple truth, that it is clear some of the security people have been inadequately trained.

You would know the scenario. When entering any training process, certain levels of attainment might be assumed. When that assumption is incorrect the reason for the lack of attainment is not the issue

Some people might not have the necessary background to form a basis for employment as a security person at a footy match. They might be eliminated at the interview or given initial training to bring them up to the necessary level of competency.

That is not at all racist. Its not saying they are incapable of doing the job. You cannot say a 10 year old cannot be a brain surgeon. Of course he can, after he has done all the pre-requisite training and demonstrated acceptable levels of competency. ( that will take him 15 to 20 years )

For instance any security guard who runs onto the ground to break up a fight between 2 players has not been adequately trained. A security guard who did not run onto the ground to protect an umpire from assault by a player or member of the public has not been adequately trained.

Howe had to tell. If this came out by other means it would have been worse for all. Plus if he knew and said nothing then he’d be putting himself in the p**.

3 Likes

Exactly

It’s almost Steve Smith / Warner & Bancroft esque

Smith turned a blind eye & then in the end copped it for doing so

If it came out later Howe knew about it and did nothing he’d have been in the gun also

Maybe clubs just need to do a monthly reminder to players what they can’t do - bets, stupid social media, drinking, whatever the rules are. Once a month at the start of the team meeting the designated club person comes in, puts up the slides and does it very seriously.

We all do dumb things. So Stephenson stuffed up badly - whether being dumb or whatever. Lesson learnt for him and others.

Probably why Howe told JS to take it to management, rather than straight to AFL.

Stephenson said that his parents encouraged him to tell the truth. However in his explanation he gave the impression that he voluntarily self reported due to feelings of guilt.

Another version circulating is that he ( involuntarily ) divulged his gambling on games to Howe. Buckley confirmed this version is true.

So Stephenson gave a different version in the press conference. Maybe to protect Howe, so at worst he lied, or at best was disingenuous in his explanation. So much for Mum and Dads advice.

1 Like

Agree with your post, but it doesn’t address what Jeff said. He talked about their issue being that they were (by some magical power Jeff has to detect?) ‘new arrivals’, who wouldn’t understand the game. Not really about training.

What you are saying is that he should have made a non-racist comment; that it should have been about capability based on training rather than capability based on race/culture as inferred by Jeff (ignoring that maybe they were perfectly trained and were doing exactly what they were asked). I agree with you on that. He didn’t, though. He made a racist comment. Changing to a non racist comment is not ‘framing’, it’s just not being racist.

3 Likes

Yep. 100% correct. I’m amazed that people are trying to frame this differently.

He definitely made the serious mistake of assumption that the reason for lack of training was “recent arrival in the country”. Foolish, unless there is evidence to support this, by checking what training was given, whether they were actually recent arrivals to the country, whether they had spoken english competence etc etc.

Jeff is more gaffe prone than Prince Philip. Its been a problem for a long long time.

There was no mistake. There never is with Jeff.

Pretty sure Jeff did not once in all this even use the word ‘training’…

I know a lot of people want to paint the guy as 100% bad. But very few people are.

I don’t know the exact circumstances, but Kennett founded “Beyond Blue” in 2000 and that organisation may well have saved many lives and helped de-stigmatise mental health issues. FCS in the past “loonies” were sent to asylums and shunned by their families. There have been massive improvements medications and in societal attitudes to this inescapable issue.

Sure the guy makes gaffes, but he has done significantly good things as well

I have nothing more to say about Jeff or this particular gaffe. The next one will come from one or other of the usual suspects. Alan Jones, Issy Folau, Andrew Bolt, Boris Johnston, Trump, Piers Morgan, Bernard Tomic, Mark Latham, Grant Thomas etc etc

I don’t buy the whole JS story of self reporting. In fact there is precious little about the AFL that I view without a healthy dose of scepticism. Just about everything appears massaged and manipulated to limit the damage to head office. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if an independent journo had got wind of the bets and had told the AFL they were going public.

Absolutely corrupt.

2 Likes

Beyond blue is a bandaid on a shotgun wound. He did alot of damage thats still being felt today…

3 Likes

How about John Setka?

1 Like

Oh. that’s not good. I am not across the detail. Its now up to Julia now. She has been president for 2 years. She should either fix it up or shut it down if it is not achieving good outcomes for the majority of people it sets out to help.

I think it was reference to shutting down everything in Vic in the 90’s. Funny, he starts “Beyond Blue”, yet closed all those mental facilities that we seriously could’ve done with today.

5 Likes

Man didn’t they get Nathan Hauritz a nice payday though. Got himself a three year contract out of that series I think.

1 Like

Its better than nothing. But Jeff basically threw alot of people out on their ■■■ so he could deliver a surplus and build things like “Jeffs Shed”. Coming from someone who has relatives with severe mental health issues, it was diabolocal and put their immediate families under unnecessary stress.

1 Like