COVID-19 Round 17 - get vaxed, get waxed, get ready to climax

Given the push back here, there should be a considerable capacity for Australia, via CSL, to provide the AZ vaccine.

For storage issues that, AZ and Novavax (when all approved) should be the best options for these countries.

1 Like

When do PNG get significant deliveries?

I’m more along the lines of imagine if we didn’t have our Clayton’s lockdown here in Melbourne, we would be at 5000 already.

1 Like

Stats of donations could be available on WHO or Australian gov sites (DFAT could be simplest) .
IDK about special donations to West Papua ( which is a problem for PNG) although Australia has supplied AZ to Indonesia ( which I understand is mainly Sinovac).
In regard to actual vax supplies, the vax would need to be approved in the developing country, in addition to capacity to deliver the vax.
Where Australia has made donations in kind, the TGA has approved a particular vax not used in Australia to get around legal issues.

Yea still dont think thats a good thing as it means it can transmit to adults.

Never said it was. But that seems to be the trend over there at the moment. I think they’ll be back in lockdown at some point over winter.

Still 1000 dead in a week.
That’s the equivalent of 380 dead a week in Australia.

We’ll likely see numbers in the 100s at some point even at 80%+ fully vaccinated, I don’t think that is news to anybody.

1 Like

IIRC it was Gladys who said hospitalisation ( and length of stay ) should be a focus, not the actual case numbers.
Singapore, which bases cases on total population, could be the most relevant ( although I understand it has a different definition of hospitalisation from us - as we do in different States),

Is our issue capacity or are people just not turning up for testing?

NSW had mandatory testing for essential workers in LGAs every three days. Vic hasn’t done that. It shouldn’t be compared.

6 Likes

Would need to disaggregate tests of general population from those sectors subject to regular mandatory testing ( as well as mandatory testing to move outside an LGA) to get a comparative per capita figure.
For example, Casula area is the Australian hub for interstate freight.
Something about sentinel and surveillance testing.
ADD also stats for obligatory tests for close contacts from exposure sites , testing in HQ , returning residents etc
The best comparisons could be those rocking up to State testing sites on a voluntary basis.

I thought we introduced compulsory testing for some industries last year - has that stopped? I don’t think it was that frequent but wasn’t it something like 1/3 of the staff every week/fortnight?

Do you think the NSW mandate is something we should be emulating? It might be interesting to know what % of positives it finds especially in those that might otherwise have not been tested (no symptoms or known exposure).

1 Like

1007 NSW cases, 11 deaths, some at home , post mortem

1 Like

Vic vs NSW Delta approach.

Notwithstanding %vaxed this is quite compelling.

Supports human factors as well in terms of Victorian support for world record lockdown durations.

1 Like

lol

Think NSW doing the bobbing heads vid today, no journalists

3 more.

2 Likes

They’ve had many of these ‘tested positive after death’ events.
They really need to get to the bottom of what’s going on here.

I also think that given we are now at 50% vaxed, there should be some pressers directed towards what to expect when vaxxed.
It shouldn’t be down to the states. Probably do it as a national thing with ATAGI.

1 Like

Or it may just reflect how testing is being done in each state.

1 Like