COVID-19 Round 17 - get vaxed, get waxed, get ready to climax

Yeah these cases are confusing. Are these people who showed no signs & went downhill so rapidly they died before anyone knew they were sick? Are these people who actively refused to get tested or seek treatment even when they were declining? Were they in any other way incapacitated & unable to seek medical assistance through physical or mental impairment or again is this choice possibly based on politics, religion or just a cultural mistrust of Gvt even medical assistance. Its bizarre & now seems more than isolated.

3 Likes

What I find frustrating is the lack of information that is forthcoming from both our elected officials and NSW Health. Surely we need more information that that tweet, which is all we will get. Isnā€™t there a cautionary tale to be told? I hope they arenā€™t covering up because the ambos are arriving too late, or something else that isnā€™t a good look for them.

Test 5 done. May as well go with a weekly test as I imagine PT exposure sites will explode. Iā€™ve been kindly reminded by my work colleague that I hold the record for tests.

4 Likes

Understand that all post mortems in NSW and Victoria are investigated by the Coroner.
The Coroner would also investigate some deaths according to other locations ( as happened with some Aged Care deaths in Victorian second wave)
They rarely get media publicity as hearings and findings are usually past their newsworthy date. Perhaps Coroner sites would have info.

A bit of clarity would be nice. e.g. an individual at home dying from kidney failure also happened to have COVID

Not specific to post mortem , but Kerry Chant did give an explanation of sorts about underlying conditions, - not obesity, could be diabetes ( which she had mentioned in the past, but not recently )
NSW does general categories occasionally - underlying, serious, significant. IIRC palliative have been identified.
There is also a privacy issue .
One Melbourne family went public, disputing the classification of a relatively young adult as a Covid death, referring to him as having significant injuries. The Coroner will work that one out.

1 Like

Snooze on now together with a Doggie member of Western Health and Jeroen

79% of cases aged 50yo and under.
CHO stats on site later this arvo will give detailed stats, including by LGA
CHO to have something to say later about Mitchell and Greater Geelong , will come out of lockdown at 11. 59pm
80yo death Hume LGA

1 Like

Mitchell has a large proportion of essential workers, including construction. Seeding from workplaces to social settings, including households.
Snooze saying that , from discussions yesterday, more ( emphasis added) certainty about Vics supply.
Now for the Doggies AFLW star Issy Hutchinson ( all awards mentioned)
Vax site to be set up at Whitten Oval next week, 12-59yo, bookings essential

Now Jeroen facts and figures. Pleased that skewed vax supply within LGAs being cured, uptake in the LGAs of concern

• pleased to get Fed confirmation of supply in October, GPs to do more Pfizer, pharmacies more Moderna.

Majority of Hume cases in 5 postcodes. Take that you Hume knockers
One Lara case a refinery worker.
Another one in a regional abattoir , through surveillance testing, subsequently tested -ve , taken off list.
Shepp case was probably someone from Melbourne.

I think Geelong and Mitchell will be extended. Surf Coast comes out tonight.

1 Like

I think the difference in results in undoubtable. Numbers have grown faster in our case. Though to be fair, that chart should really start at LD5, not LD6, as that is when our Delta wave started.

What is debatable is why it occurred. Itā€™s the easiest thing in the world to pick one, or several things that suit whatever narrative you want to build, but there are so many differences between our two states, I donā€™t think you can realistically untangle one reason from another. There is no doubt there was more lockdown fatigue at the beginning of our LD6 than any other state, and we have seen the difference in media and political responses to VIC vs NSW. Those things have an influence over and above simply the measures implemented by both governments.

5 Likes

Assuming (and thereā€™s a lot of them) by 2022 we reach a high enough vaccination threshold that we do away with internal movement restrictions* youā€™d expect next year weā€™d see 3000-5000 deaths before it drops away due to a combination of acquired immunity and the highly vulnerable having already succumbed to the virus**.

*this would be open, state borders, visitors in homes etc but still masks in some settings, QR code entry etc
**presuming Delta is still the dominant strain and weā€™re not dealing with something worse

1 Like

Journos probing supplies, asking if dose interval of 6 weeks will be revised.
Snooze says shortfall in September supply, but horizons pitch of Commonwealth ( his words) donā€™t give enough confidence as yet, Aim is first doses, hopes to revise interval in October, confirms that second dose date could then be brought forward.
Journalists ask what about Singapore, Snooze said Singapore goal was 90%.

Site emphasises that not all listed.
I have assumed that if all contacts established, it wonā€™t be listed.
Tier 3 donā€™t get listed.

Thereā€™s heaps of reports re: delays being listed.
Near me weā€™re at 4-6 days after something popping up on the YV noticeboard to reaching the website.

1 Like

Tier 1 not always specific listed - e.g. Tier 2 with reference that some tier1 who have been contacted directly ( often apartment blocks)

Captain Snooze trying to explain why we miss the 80% threshold tomorrow.
Lots of waffle.
Just had to say they incorrectly projected.

ABC Sydney decides to cut live stream on both TV channels.

Why didnā€™t he say. ā€œWho cares? Itā€™s not like anything changes at 80%ā€