COVID-19 Round 18 - Dan Dictates you must get back to doing the things you love

Yeah, lots of Greek kids here go to catholic schools, even though they’re orthodox.

I know you’re a bit older than most BF, but surely there were more churches around than that as you were growing up.

They attended Catholic Schools just for their education, it was and still is pretty common, but they are still Orthodox.

2 Likes

Could be a bit more. While there is a schism, in particular Papal supremacy, there is recognition of liturgical rites (like communion) and of the legitimacy of Bishops etc.

Werder Bremen dismisses coach Markus Anfang because of forged vaccination certificate

links in german if you can read it.

1 Like

Wonder if they realise that not only does their religion not actually prohibit vaccines, but the official church line is to go and get the jab.

that may be the ‘church line’ but if youve ever been in an orthodox church, they make catholic churches look humble.

quite amusing to see the priest conclude the sermon, then jump into a 200k e-class. to pick their (up to 10) kids up from a 50k+ P/A highschool

2 Likes

Pretty sure they still do their own sacraments in their own church.

As a kid I can remember Greek & Lebanese Orthodox friends getting a blessing on the day, but not officially take part in the ceremonies at school.

Prior to the 90s, there weren’t too many Greek Orthodox churches here in Melbourne.
None that I remember nearby anyway.
Since then a few have popped up around my area.
One just behind Keilor Central Shopping Centre springs to mind.

Greeks from my school definitely were Orthodox though. Not Catholic. Farked if I know which churches they went to on weekends.

Round 19 and Grease is the word.

2 Likes

I know quite a few Greeks. They are all Orthodox. They were vaccine hesitant, but all the ones I know ended up getting the jab.

No he won’t. If you are even accidentally or unintentionally supporting vaccine hesitancy, he’s having zero part in it.

7 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I went to the Victory game in Geelong last night things almost feeling normal now

1 Like

there were a few around, but not as prominent as Catholic churches.

Found this, which also mentions the great schism which they still talk about. Can still be a thing apparently depending which church you got married/baptised in.

https://www.emelbourne.net.au/biogs/EM00672b.htm

In 1901 it built the first Greek Orthodox Church Evangelismos (Annunciation) in Victoria Parade, East Melbourne, thereby replacing the temporary occupation of Chalmers Presbyterian Church in Gipps Street (now St Andrew’s Place); ran after-hours schools; organised national and religious anniversaries and festivals; supported Greek national causes; and provided welfare assistance.

The cathedral of Evangelismos remained the only Greek church in Melbourne until 1950. By 1972 the number of churches and parishes had grown to 25, and stood at 30 in 2004. This proliferation of churches, however, accompanied a bitter contest of power that had been simmering since the 1920s between the Orthodox Church and community leaders throughout Australia. At issue were control of the new parishes and churches; the provision of welfare and the running of charity organisations; and the right to represent Hellenism in Australia.

1 Like

Lol taco thinking Chris would endorse his deluded opinions

I guess this means we have another wave of infections coming. Our trough wasn’t that great.

1 Like

took @theDJR’s yesterday graph and moved the VIC line to line up its peak with NSW’s.

VIC is plateauing out a lot sooner and therefore higher.

3 Likes

Question is why? Proof that Covid is more infectious here in Victoria? Or is it because we started with a higher peak?

Since Tuesday night I’ve spent maybe 10 waking hours at home. This definitely feel normal already.

Around St Kilda last night was like nothing has ever happened. Jam packed roads, jam packed pubs and clubs.

I love it. We’re normal.