COVID-19 Round 18 - Dan Dictates you must get back to doing the things you love

And I understand why they’re not doing it. But I would really like to know how many new cases are vaccinated and unvaccinated.

4 Likes

Why do you understand why they’re not doing it? It doesn’t make sense to me

CFR looking good.
Even deaths/hospitalisations is down to pre-vaccine level CFR from 10% or whatever scary figure it was.

1 Like

Because I’m guessing more vaccinated people are catching it than unvaccinated people. And antivaxxers will jump on this data. But its meaningless without looking at the proportion of unvaccinated and vaccinated currently in our population.

2 Likes

And if they reported it as a percentage or a relative risk ratio the anti-vaxxers would complain about that as well.

1 Like

More cases in hospital than daily cases.
Good indication that people aren’t quite testing and isolating with symptoms (as expected).
The death ratio to cases has been far higher than ours. Not sure what it means, but it’s interesting to note.

A lot of talk about Greeks here. My brother has heard a rumour that 25% of the fatalities in Victoria have been Greek and that makes me incredibly sad, if true. I know the St Basils would skew these figures but still. There was also rumours of a Greek priest who doesn’t believe Covid that infected a stack of parishioners.

1 Like

It’s a reasonable guess, simply because the vaxxed to unvaxxed population is close enough to 10:1.
Also, there’s a fair amount of vaxxed who really should have had their boosters by now but haven’t, dropping their protection from contracting it from…I dunno…probs 90s percent to 80s.

Getting the ‘rona at all is best avoided.
Kinda funny that people are talking about unknown long term vax outcomes while ignoring long term ‘rona outcomes, which we really, really, super do not know about.

But the most important thing is outcomes.
The most important thing is the difference between feeling a bit crook and having a machine breathe for you.
And guess what the biggest factor in that difference is.

Edit: lol, media would probably say ‘obesity.’

3 Likes

I would argue that we do have data on long term effects of mRNA vaccines. We have been working with these vaccines for decades, and many of the test animals have lifespans a lot less than that. So we get to see how things play out over the full lifespans of several different species of animals.

This kind of lab testing on multiple species of animals is fairly well established and understood, and would be very likely to show signs of any significant long term effect from mRNA vaccines.

Secondarily, to my way of thinking at least, the beauty of the mRNA vaccines is that they use the same method of replicating in the body that viruses use, which our immune systems are ideally set up to effectively eliminate. Unlike viruses, however, the vaccine can’t fight back and wage war with our immune systems, making the fight very one sided.

Yes, the vaccines have side effects, but as I understand it, those side effects have more to do with our immune system response than the vaccine itself, and this type of side effect is the type we’d expect to see very quickly, not years or decades later.

6 Likes

It really is out of proportion, people worried about any long term affects of mRNA vaccines, the AZ vaccine using genetically modified kidney cells from an embryonic stem cell harvested in the 1970s, AZ clots. And [insert some other reason why you should not get vaccinated here]

While the vaccines very significantly protect against hospital and death, mild cases can still be quite unpleasant.

And if it’s super mild first time around, no guarantee that it will be the same if there’s a second infection.

We can never know if you had it mild vaccinated, what it would have been like unvaccinated on an individual basis. But the hospital, ICU and death stats don’t lie.

I hear, in the media, plenty of people who haven’t being vaccinated objecting to be called antivaxxer, however it’s hardimpossible to look at the data and draw any other conclusion that vaccination is strongly in someone’s personal interest and in the interest of society as a whole.

3 Likes

The permanent loss of sense of smell, which it seems to me is being categorised in the media as a minor thing…
I mean, it completely changed Michael Hutchence’s personality and you could argue ultimately led to his death.

On a purely selfish level, the odds are strongly in your favour with vaccination vs none.

In the interests of society as a whole, including all the people you personally care most about, there is no debate. Vaccines are the only responsible choice.

Aside from a very, very few people who have been advised by medical professionals not to take any vaccination, I cannot see those who choose not to take the vaccine as anything but incredibly selfish human beings who show a complete lack of care for others, as they attempt to keep their own health (in their minds) in tip top condition while placing all those they claim to care about at greater risk.

1 Like

A friend of mine lost his sense of smell due to a bike accident when he face planted the road. He is a different person now, it altered his personality too. It isn’t a good thing.

5 Likes

Not to mention what it did to Kepler Bradley’s disposal under pressure …hang on, what…

Exit: this looks particularly unthoughtful coming straight after @Hoffy s post. I should have read ahead. Sorry. That sounds sht.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. :frowning:

1 Like

DFAT are very sporadic with updating their data, but looks like another ~2.4 million doses of CSL AZ have gone to Indonesia over the past two weeks or so.
Still a long way to go there, they are about to hit 50% of the population with at least one dose.

Thing about losing your sense of smell is that your sense of taste is often badly affected too. My mum had a bad cold about a decade back, lost both sense for years, though they returned eventually.

I’ve seen vids etc of covid survivors in their teens who say that everything now tastes/smells like petrol or crap. A lifetime is a long time when eating is repellent.

3 Likes

Everyone knows you’re not a great big meanie.

2 Likes

A friend of ours whacked her head whilst ice skating and lost her taste.

She said it has been a nightmare. So many social occasions that revolve around food and drinks and she couldn’t enjoy any of it.

3 Likes

It’s amazing how much enjoyment losing your sense of smell sucks out of your life. Often goes hand in hand with diminished or complete loss of taste as well which is a diabolical situation.

2 Likes