COVID-19 - Stay The F**k Home, says Dictator Dan

I doubt many surfers ever surf within 1.5 metres of each other.

I would be all for a tracking app. Many wouldn’t.
Civil liberties and all that.

1 Like

Nah they are doing it. I’m in Langwarrin South and I’ve seen the press release

1 Like

It’s nice that you’re allowed to wave.

I am almost done eh. Geez just came back from my supermarket. First walk through normally bustling busy mall. Everything shut. Even the bloody chocolate shop at easter.

Some bird checking people in and out of the supermarket, everyone in masks. Depression just hit me like a bloody brick.

At the point Id almost take a risk, head down to the local hospital and hug a covid patient. Get the bloody bug and pray im the 8/10 who just deal with it easily…be done with it.

I know that all sounds selfish…

Yep - finding the balance is the tricky bit. Some states might go to far, some might not go far enough. Some individuals will be fine, some will struggle. I don’t envy the balancing acts that are going on.

Not if you self isolate afterwards.
Problem is it might not help all those shops open back up.

Oh and can I say the real heroes of this ■■■■■■■■■■■ are the poor people on the dole queue as a direct result.

Health workers are doing their job.
Politicians are doing their job.
Cops are doing their job.

If you have a job, be ■■■■■■■ thankful and give a little more to a charity this easter.

Id recommend someone like the Salvos.

10 Likes

Can you do a graph of some sort please?

If you’ve got corona and you go surfing and a shark eats you, will the shark only catch the virus if you cough on/in him? Asking for a friend, I mean a shark.

3 Likes

Edit: I started to type this in reply to Odoyle for the previous thread but it was closed before I finished.

Look, I could give you an account of molecular phylogenetic analysis but it would be too dry for most here. Suffice to say that a relationship between different biological entities can be inferred by examining their genetic variation. Given enough examples, especially with timed sampling, it is possible to build up a “family tree” where the most related individuals are closest to each other. The founders of the family tree have the original ancestral sequences.

Generally, where these ancestors arose is inferred by the place that exhibits the most genetic variation. Individuals leaving these areas and having descendants in other areas would have a small sample of the total variation of that original population. This is known as a bottleneck effect. In the case of humans, there is more genetic variation (as can be measured by comparing DNA sequences) in Africa than there is outside Africa.

As you say, it is possible that a place may have increased diversity due to a wide variety of immigrants.

There are reports that the US has the greatest number of strains. It certainly has more than China. BB has shown little interest in these family trees, but FWIW, here is a family tree inferred from sequences of over 3100 isolates, which is a phenomenal amount of work from researchers worldwide. In this, the US samples are red, China’s in purple; for clarity I have not shown other countries.

There are three major arms to that family tree. None of China’s ~300 samples were in the left arm until a single isolate was found in late March. ALL of the Wuhan samples are at the base of the right arms.

Sequencing of US isolates did not start until late January but as you can see they have samples in all three major arms. If you are saying that the non-China variants were imported to the US, you are deferring the problem as to another location where they arose since viruses of that major left branch was not found at all in China till late March (and then only a single example).

If you are taking me to task for one word in my post then this is a very high standard not expected of most people here. The answer will come when samples of people who had the “unusual flu” in the US in their fall are recovered and sequenced. The CDC has already acknowledged that some deaths attributed to flu were misdiagnosed and they now say they were from covid19, but they have not disclosed how many or when they were infected. CDC figures do show over 160,000 samples of people with flu symptoms last fall were tested of which 4% were either influenza A or B. That means a lot were possibly due to cold virus infections; coronavirus is one such and it is possible that a covid19 like virus could have accounted for some at least of those undiagnosed 96% of cases.

19 Likes

Virgin Australia suspend all domestic flights except an once day Sydney - Melbourne route Sunday to Friday.

My local place where i get my hair cut for $10 is closed to this ■■■■ virus I now have to go to a hipster barber shop where they will most like charge me $50

2 Likes

Awesome response and i thank you for it. Again just from a layman’s pov, does the red extensions from the purple branches suggest a mutation or variation occuring in the US beyond something that had happened in Wuhan/imported from what was occuring in Wuhan?
I apologise if this is an idiotic question.

[assuming this is true …] ■■■■■■■ morons.

3 Likes

My hairdresser has closed down for the duration too, but farked if some tatttoo smothered hipster smelling of beard conditioner is getting anywhere near my hair. I’ll just have to dehippy when things get back to a bit closer to normal.

5 Likes

Tell 'em they’re dreaming.

1 Like

Good stuff Thurgood, maybe even as good as your place kick of 107 yards 2 feet 1 inch.
I wonder how much of the analysis and our understanding of covid-19 will be lost or false as we started testing for it well into its spread, starting from the assumption that Wuhan as the first acknowledged epicentre must also be the origin?

Great post!

I learned something from that. I have read your other ones, but that’s the first time I’ve fully grasped it.