Cricket Part II

Looks to me like Hodge clearly tried to lob that over the short leg’s head into the outfield. Still the wrong choice of shot given the circumstances, though.

Definitely didn’t look that way to me.

Replacing him with Martyn was stupid though…just one of the favoured sons who’d shown terrible temperament with that shot to lose an unloseable test. Got us close, then threw it all away.

I[quote=“Alan_Noonan_10, post:2044, topic:9769, full:true”]

Replacing him with Martyn was stupid though…
[/quote]

Could watch Martyn bat all day, purely from an aesthetic POV. Damn he could make the game look so easy

Hodge had serious flaws, all right — but I’d stll prefer him to the likes of either Marsh.

The Old Boys’ Club. We won’t see the back of the Marshes until their father’s mates are gone from the selection committee. This latest recall smells Masonic from here…

Anyone else think there are too many bowlers and not enough batsmen in this squad ? The way it’s set up, the two who miss out from the 13 will have to be bowlers — unless Starc is counted as an allrounder — because Paine is no great shakes with the bat. In other words, that focker Marsh is guaranteed his baggy green.

Australia Squad: Steve Smith ©, David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

Pretty standard for a home series now.
The big tour squads of 16-18 odd guys are a thing of the past, only takes a day to get around the world.

First time I got a chance to look at the squad

Surely that is the weakest ashes squad for some time.

Yeah, they’re gonna miss Stokes.

I still can’t believe Marsh and Paine. Both the wrong decisions.

1 Like

As the selectors said … Paine is easily the best gloveman in Australia.

Which I’d dispute strongly. And then you hear he missed two easy chances in the game against the Poms. I was pretty disappointed with his keeping when he played in England when Haddin was unavailable.

I’d almost rather tag-teaming Handscomb and Bancroft, with Bancroft taking the first stint to freshen him up to open the batting. Revolutionary, but still better than Paine and Wade.

1 Like

I can’t believe we haven’t had three ODI’s against…I dunno…Sri Lanka or someone, by this stage of the season.
I know four day cricket is important, but still.

Pretty sure CA changed the fixture to ensure there was plenty of shield games before the first test so they could have plenty of opportunities to see who succeeded and who failed and then pick Shaun Marsh anyway.

5 Likes

LOL.
And I do get that.
But ODI’s need a shot in the arm, and the way to do that is by playing them first.
It doesn’t stop Shield being played.

Edit: And to be honest, cricket needs a shot in the arm. The Ashes are about to start and I’m very meh. And that’s just weird.

2 Likes

Yep, ODIs seem to have died a quiet death since the Big Bash started. Problem is that CA are raking in the cash from BB are don’t really care about ODI unless it’s a World Cup year.

I’ve been hanging for the Ashes to start as I detest horse racing and don’t give a toss for soccer or the Rugby League “World Cup”. Glad we had a ripping MLB post-season and happy to watch NFL now that I have ESPN, but nothing beats having the cricket back.

1 Like

Must admit that ODIs are a dead duck to me, unless it’s WC time.

I heard something about Marsh being injured and Maxwell coming in. I hope I heard correctly.

Sounds far fetched.

3 Likes

Maxwell has come into the squad as cover for Warner who has a sore neck.

As for anyone wishing/hoping ODIs disappear soon please remember that TV stations pay massive dollars for the rights. Sellings 3 to 4 hours of afternoon ads for a day night match sure beats the sales for afternoon movie. Therefore one day Cricket survives even if it’s worthless to the people watching it.

Lack of spine.

4 Likes

I hope so (not that I want him in pain, I just don’t want us in pain either).