Cricket Part II

Different players it depends what the team needs or wants. If you are picking a guy as a batsman only then Maxwell is it, if you are picking a guy to bat and bowl a few overs of spin then Maxwell again is it but if you are picking a guy to bat middle order and bowl 10-20 overs of mediums and push up into the Fremantle doctor then someone like Marsh, Stoinis or Henriques is the man. The alternative is to push everyone up a spot and bring an extra bowler in as Cummins is a better all rounder than Marsh IMO

3 Likes

Maxwellā€™s form in the past few weeks has been outstanding, but there is no way he can currently be ranked as the 6th best batsmen in Oz; and heā€™s not an all-rounder at test level.

If he bowls 20 overs itā€™s because weā€™ve bowled 200 in the innings, and weā€™re losing anyway. I just donā€™t think he makes the bowlijg any stronger and he definitely weakens the batting if heā€™s in at 6.

The gameā€™s the same length, the sessions are same, still 2x10 wickets to get. Donā€™t get it.

1 Like

Details, details. The important thing is that the selectors are going to show they were right all along in selecting him relentlessly last time.

Thatā€™d be pretty good for a number 8. Who is a real wicket taking threat. Do,we have anyone else who can do that? Not sureā€¦

1 Like

Agree. We have three high quality seamers and a high quality offie. We really just need someone who is a decent part timer who can jam up an end and give the pace attack a breather like Mark Waugh used to do. I dunno if thatā€™s Glen Maxwell exactly but give the guy a chance.

Iā€™d pick him over Handscomb and Khawaja on current form. Realistically we have 2 world class bats, then thereā€™s about a dozen guys on the borderline of test level - everyone from SMarsh to renshaw.

And no, heā€™s not a real all rounder, heā€™s a useful change bowler. We donā€™t have a full blown all rounder: Marsh canā€™t bat higher than 7 in Tests, the others are all bats who bowl a little.

My question is, do we need 15 overs out of our number 6? Or a couple of 3-5 over change/freshen up spells?

Has been served the ultimate ā– ā– ā– ā–  sandwich. Played in just about every position in the order - opening, 3, 5, 7, 8 - in the typical ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  India/subcontinental touring sides. Doesnā€™t get a look in at home, no matter what form heā€™s in.

1 Like

WACA will be flat as a tack and wouldnā€™t be surprised if the bowlers spend a fair bit of time out on the field

I donā€™t mind your idea of picking an extra bowler. Both Cummins and Starc are handy with the bat. Iā€™d like our keeper to be a bit better bat though

Its a bit crazy. Select the guy who is pigeon holed as a loose cannon to do a job in India in place of Usman. He largely succeeds by knuckling down and getting all of the silly ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of his game and then gets nada at home if he gets another tonne before Boxing Day heā€™s itā€™ll be quite tragic if he doesnā€™t play.

The selectors and coach donā€™t see him as a top 5 bat though at International level. If he comes in he would probably bat at 6 or perhaps 5 at best.
He will get a chance, there have been and still are a lot better players in the comp than him that didnā€™t get a fair go. No more Shield games until February so he wonā€™t get another chance to put his case forward

And he has just peeled off his 2nd First Class 100?

But he has played 20 odd Test matches as a batting all rounder!!!

How the ā– ā– ā– ā–  does someone get selected as a batting all rounder when they have scored 1 ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  first class hundred??

1 Like

ā€œNow that heā€™s back bowling, heā€™s always going to be pretty close to the mark of playing for Australia. Heā€™s a medium pace allrounder and Iā€™m an off-spinning allrounder; going to the WACA you probably donā€™t need that extra spinning option and you can completely understand why (selectors) would have gone that way. ā€œAll I can do is wish him well, heā€™s a very good mate of mine. Weā€™ve played in a lot of teams together and shared in a lot of success together. Hopefully he and his brother can go really well.ā€

Mark Waugh was a high-class batsman. (He also drank beer, smoked nicotine and bowled a bit.) I wouldnā€™t compare him with Marsh Minor.

Was more comparing him with Maxwell.

I see. All the same, Maxwell is hardly the batsman M.Waugh was, either. I donā€™t know about Maxwellā€™s beer and ciggy consumption, but his bowling is perhaps on a par with M.Waughā€™s as far as effectivity goes.

They wonā€™t select Maxwell for two reasons:

1. He opened his mouth and had a go at them; and
  2. Heā€™s not a son of Swampy Marsh.
1 Like

Both great fielders, thatā€™s for sure!

All this talk about the Aussies going too far in their sledging of Bairstow. Any idea what it is about. Couldnt be the headbutt surely

Itā€™s debatable whether or not it was even a headbutt.

(That probably answers your question)

1 Like