Cricket Part II

Except, Kohli has 20 test centuries - 10 at home and 10 away which is a good break up - Has a higher average at home because he scores big hundreds - The blackmark against hs name is his form in England.

When you say 10 test centuries away, how many in Australia, NZ, SA and England? Heā€™s still young so had a while to rectify it anyway (if it is indeed poor)

Five in Australia and one in NZ and SA.

Not a ā– ā– ā– ā–  record. Reckon his away form (out of subcontinent) would be better than Warnerā€™s

Aus 5 (2 50ā€™s)
Sri Lanka 2 (1)
NZ 1 (1)
Saffas 1 (1)
WI 1 (0)

Six out 21 centuries for Warner have been away - three against the Saffies, two against Bangladesh and one in Dubai against Pakistan

For counter point

Smith
Poms 3 (3)
India 3 (1)
NZ 1 (2)
Saffas 1 (1)
Sri 1 (10
WI 1 (1)

Warner
Banger 2 (0)
Saffas 3 (2)
Interestingly he has 6 50ā€™s v Poms but hasnā€™t converted them.
According to SA above he also has one in Dubai against Pakistan.

1 Like

For me, we need to bed down the opening batting position well in advance of the 2019 Ashes. It seems as if Bancroft has support, at least publically, from the key powerbrokers within the Aussie team. From that Iā€™m tipping he will be in the team for the 1st Test in South Africa, however Iā€™m not convinced of his technique. Steyn (if fit), Rabada, Philander and Morkel is about as formidable a pace attack you will get in world cricket. If he can get through that then fair play to him. However if I was going to select a batsman, and a technique, for South Africa and England, Iā€™d be picking Renshaw. Khawaja has probably done enough to keep the #3 spot for now, but his average away from Australia is a concern. Looking at the XI from the Sydney Test and who will be there for the 2019 Ashes:

Warner - Yes
Bancroft - ???
Khawaja - ???
Smith - Yes
S. Marsh - ???
M.Marsh - ???
Paine - Yes
Cummins - Yes
Starc - Yes
Hazlewood - Yes
Lyon - Yes

The bowling unit takes care of itself unless injury intervenes. I have only Smith and Warner as the 100% sure-fire picks out of the top six. The rest have question marks due to either age (S.Marsh will be 36 come 2019), ability (Bancroft) or a lack of proven track record away from Australia (Khawaja, M.Marsh). If we are chopping and changing between now and 2019 we will be in trouble. The Poms drafted in a new opener, #3 and #5 batsmen for this tour and really only Malan delivered on a consistent basis. We canā€™t make the same mistake when we are next in Englandā€¦

3 Likes

Officially classed as a neutral venue. So wether you want to recognise it as an ā€œawayā€ century is open to debate. I would.

1 Like

Dubai is an away test venue unless you play for Pakistan.

1 Like

ā€œThe axed allrounder has been given a ringing endorsement by close friend Aaron Finch.ā€

Run glut? But you and WOB told us last week he couldnā€™t make a run in any format?

Is it just possible that a 278 and a 90 and a 50 and a 60 are actually runs that count now?

Wonā€™t get in. For whatever reason they donā€™t want him which is why they picked an injured player ahead of him.

Not sure I said that! His form hasnā€™t been great in the BBL till last night. Great innings from him and was playing some shots only he can when heā€™s on. The reverse sweep off Siddle was the shot of the tournament. Ridiculous. Hopefully he can keep backing it up.

Ricky Ponting stated he would select him, I think you may find that was a way for them to say that they might just pick him.

5 Innings in the Big Bash for scores of 60, 33, 50, 4, 8.

And the 5 Shield Games before that; 96, 278, 16, 4, 45*, 60, 64, 20, 7.

Certainly not Steve Smith form, but certainly not terrible. Also note that his form in the BBL has been affected by the fact pretty much every game the Stars top order has crumbled and he has come in and 3/4 down for not many during the powerplay and has been forced to rebuild innings so has not been able to bat with the freedom he may usually like to.

Yet the selectors are debating joe burns or stoinis for the test squad to south africa

Yeah, like I said, until his 60 last night, his form hasnā€™t been that great in the BBL. I think heā€™d be the first to admit that. Even the 50 he got was pretty laboured compared to what the top batsmen in the comp are doing. Heā€™s in the top 5 for his team and they havenā€™t won a game - not entirely him s fault, of course, but heā€™s part of it.

Itā€™s pretty obvious Sniff doesnā€™t want Maxwell. A NSW batsman will get the job (of understudy to Marsh Minor).

Short just showed he might be the one to pick