Cricket Part II

Spot on.

They changed that rule a couple of years ago.

You’re not allowed to change your line to get in the way.

I thought it was clearly and unequivocally out.

But two years ago, it was good running.

The ball did hit him?

But that’s the thing, I don’t think he did. If he had of held his line, he would have been more in the way.

Why the hell did he try to cross the pitch? Quickest way is to run straight.

Looks to me like he was trying to clear a possible line at the stumps for the fielder, so as not to be accused of obstructing.
Interesting rule change, and I hope that makes players aware of it because it would be a much bigger issue in a Test.

Out of interest, what is a batsman supposed to do if a fielder steps into (or refuses to move out of) his line?
Run through him?

1 Like

Did it? I honestly missed that.

If the ball didn’t hit the stumps, would they still have appealed?

1 Like

That or being hit by a ball that has been thrown at pace from 60m out.

Yeah. Hit him on the glove. Wade was standing in the right place to take the ball.

Interesting question! According to Bailey, the answer is no. But, I wonder.

Here’s two other similar obstructing the field dismissals for those interested
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hk5ff

1 Like

No real problem with either of those.
The first one is worst. Looks over his shoulder and then covers the stumps.
You could argue the English one was just a wide turning circle, but not very convincingly.

I don’t have a problem with the new rule, so long as fielders get out of the way.
I also hope some allowance is made if a keeper is in the batsman’s line. He should be able to run at full speed.

I reckon the Roy one is clearly out, - no doubt he knew what he was doing. The Hafeez one is not as clear-cut imo, but I would have given him, he moved too far in front of the stumps for my liking.

1 Like

Hurricanes win four in a row. I was thinking that the top 4 had been settled remarkably early, but they’re added some interest now. Good squad that seems to be getting better the longer the tournament goes.

And: If the selectors are going to be picking Lynn’s replacement on BBL form, there is only one player: Darcy Short. He is on fire.

This rule about the batsman “obsructing the field” by changing his line to cover the stumps is one big crock of stinking shyte. What about the bowler deliberately obstructing the runner’s path ? You’d think the ICC was being run by the AFL bosses.

If they want to act in this area, they’d be better off painting a pair of tramlines down each side of the pitch, and require the batsman to run in between them and ban the fielders from going inside them. It might look ridiculous at first, but it would be fairer and work better than this “obstructing the field” bulldust.

D’Arcy Short ? Fine batsman, blood oath. I wouldn’t mind him getting a Test try-out. At least he’s a wrist spinner — bowls chinamen in fact — what the PC brigade call “left-arm legspin” (which is a contradiction in terms) or what Pommy immigrants call “left-arm unorthodox” (as if there’s something intrinsically wrong with wrist spin). Takes wickets, too.

1 Like

Six FC games with an average of 22.

Two things on the Ross incident:

1. why the hell did he change direction when running down the pitch? Basic 101 is that you run straight as it reduces the distance you have to run as an angle can mean you get run out. Also they say that if you run straight it is more likely that you will get in the way and that’s okay, better the ball hit you than the wicket and, if you haven’t changed direction it isn’t obstruction.

2. How the hell was Bailey able to appeal for obstruction AFTER WATCHING THE REPLAY (which he states he did in his post match interview)? That is not allowed under the laws of the game so the umps should have rejected his request and just decided on the run out scenario.