Cricket Part II

So when I replied… rather than explain it was a joke… you dug in your heels.
Makes sense.

The part about his training standard was fact though not a rumour and was directly from Boof

And I’ve heard not one, but two of his previous coaches single him out as one of the hardest trainers in the respective squads.
They clearly can’t all be right.

I am not sure Maxwell is an automatic selection anyway. Seems a lot of fuss about not much. People saying politics is what is keeping him out is kind.

1 Like

Maybe they are all right?
Perhaps he trains differently at State level to what he does when he attends national training.
Who knows the truth but I trust Boof and if Maxwell is on his wrong side he will find it very hard to get back in

My feeling is that it means not much. Maybe in hindsight it will, but I think we need to prove it against tougher opposition first. We don’t have to wait long to find out.

I think Cummins getting through 5 matches bowling as well as he did is a great sign. Our fast bowling stocks are in very good shape and there is every reason to assume Lyon should hang around for a few more years yet, so we have a good base in the bowling ranks.

Batting I don’t think we really learnt anything.
Smith is awesome obviously and Warner is still good.
Khawaja is still hit and miss.
Bancroft is still well and truly unproven.

Good signs for the Marsh brothers, but I’m reserving judgement on them until this South Africa series. I don’t expect them to back up again with multiple hundreds each… But I want to see something to show that they’re not just flat track bullies against crap opposition.

Paine I agree, but he’s really only a stop gap for a year or two you’d think at his age and with his injury history.

1 Like

I wonder if the problem with Maxwell is that, like his namesake Nick, he just has a face that says “punch me”.

That would be absolutely bizarre.
He’s now played for Australia under 3 different coaches, M Arthur, Di Venuto (T20) and the last 3 years under Boof. Arthur was all about ‘dat training, and he picked him a fair bit.

It can’t even just be a Lehmann thing, he’s been a mainstay in the limited overs squad (most of the time in the XI) and fringe of the Test squad - both of which are about right - from when lehmann got tjere until now. If he didn’t rate him, or thought he bludged at training, why pick him at all?

1 Like

It seems to me that it stemmed from a training camp earlier in the season. Up until that point Boof had no issues with him so not sure why the change. He wouldn’t diverge anything further but I know that Boof did rate him beforehand so something has changed

Yep.
That at least makes some sense.
Still incredibly unprofessional to go to the media, much less punters, with criticism like that, without telling the guy himself first.

And Smith has another 22 with an average of 64 in Test cricket. That’s Maxwell’s only ton (the only time he’s passed 50 in Test cricket btw) and he’s averaging 26. What’s your point? That he had a good day in India? Marvellous.

Do any of us have a point?

If he got 15 more games, like MMarsh, got given one spot to settle in, and backed in - and got to play in australia, not just on Indian & Pakistan tours - who’s to say?

2 Likes

Faulkner is not a great T20 batter it has to be said

He has turned to garbage in T20. His batting has really fallen away, and his bowling is hit or miss. A lot of players are now able to pick his slower ball which was his main weapon

1 Like

Well if you look at the runs this season he has made in all forms of the game, the fact that an injured player was selected above him, the fact that he was effectively dropped not just not selected, it can’t help but raise an eyebrow. That is unless you are having a serious botox incident.

@Henry_s_Angry_Pills

1 Like

That 6 by bravo was as close as I have seen someone from hitting the roof

1 Like

Seeing White, Finch etc watching the game, why wouldnt you let them play. The BBL loses some impact once the international one day players leave, so they should be tring to maximise the games they play. A T20 game is hardly going impact their performance 2 days later.

Punter: “Oh my gawd!”

Magnificent catch by Pops in the stands.

Maxwell has been harshly treated. He clearly isn’t in the inner sanctum of Aussie Cricket which makes his non selection even more frustrating. Politics shouldn’t play a part in picking our best 11 cricketers no matter what the format. The fact he played tests in the sub-continent but was thrown out with the rubbish when back home suggests he isn’t respected which is disappointing. I’m no huge Maxwell lover but I expect the Aussie setup to treat all cricketers fairly.

@Aceman if what you say is true about Lehman holding a grudge it’s very disappointing. I would have thought a cricketer who was often over looked during his career would have gone above that and recognised that picking the best 11 is the most important thing. Maxwell is easily in our best 11 ODI players and arguably in our best test team. For him to miss out because of non cricket issues stinks.

It won’t surprise me if Maxwell goes on the T20 circuit. I saw a chart yesterday showing you can now play domestic T20 comps virtually all year round. He will probably earn a lot more cash.