Cricket Part II

I was watching the final of the eNG/AUS/IND triangular T20 women’s before (hey, Collingwood were playing)…Australia had made 209 in the 20 overs (Lanning 86*) thanks to some putrid English fielding.

England needed 70 in 14 balls when the Pom and curry commentators finally conceded the nail in the coffin.

Optimists. considering they were only scoring 8-10 runs an over.

Conn of CA, who stage-managed the media show, shut down the questions, but Warner gets the blame by all the media, including by those who were there.

2 Likes

Funny I could have sworn I saw Davey’s lips moving on those stonewalling answers

There is history between Conn and Warner - Conn would have been the last person Warner wanted to run that show.

Pity some are so stubborn they deny facts given by a poster - Yet another presser and yet more wasted time - And the hypocrisy of the public who demand a presser, then feel sorry/guilty after players are distressed - Current society is a disgrace.

2 Likes

Getting ground into the dust now. This will happen a lot now for the next 12 months +.

5-fa for Cummins. Love this bloke.

Hazelwood is out of form, which makes things awkward. Bowling ok but not getting wickets.

I don’t think our bowlers are the worry over the next few tours (injuries permitting).

The batting line-up is highly fluid though. I’m not sure a single one is an absolute definite for the side in 18 months. Opportunities abound for them all though.

3 Likes

We are in so much trouble…

Starting the rain dance!

Sigh.

Both openers gone.

And Handscomb first ball.

What gets me about the whole issue , someone can smash the glass door in a jewellery store, terrify the staff with machetes and steel pipes , cause thousands of dollars damage, get caught ,let out on bail, rinse and repeat . Scuff a cricket ball and you get fined $2 million or more ,banned for a year ,splashed over every form of media known to Christendom and reviled by all. FCS it was just a game. Biggest scandal since Dad pocketed the Go to jail card when we last played Monopoly.

5 Likes

Candice Warner accepted more responsibility than her husband. Not sure the world needed a press conference from her.

3 Likes

Sheesh. When I went to bed, Usman was closing in on 50. Wake up and the middle order has vapourised. Again. I know that for several obvious reasons this is not a typical Test match, but we see this regularly anyway. Mitch Marsh is not the answer at #6 in most situations, but it’s not just him. The whole batting line-up is fragile even on a good day and heavily protected by Smith’s incredible two years.

3 Likes

When Smithless our batting is woeful. The bowling is also overrated as what we have is a group of fast bowlers who are excellent playing at home; but that’s only 50% of the time.

If we get rid of the ridiculous over-the-top sledging then something good will have come out of this. But the public and CA will tire very quickly of a nice Aussie team that loses - and we will have some more heavy losses given the best 50% of a fragile batting lineup has been suspended.

Nothing will change in world cricket as this is the ideal time to lay bare the box of tricks that are used to make the ball reverse but nobody appears willing to have the discussion and to change the culture of going beyond the rules in more subtle ways.

I don’t know if others noticed but there was a celebration of sledging in the print media over the summer, before and during the Ashes. They were celebrating funny and incisive sledging, but it was still tacit reinforcement of the mental disintegration tactic.

I just wish a journalist would get hold of the ball tampering issue and expose it for what it is.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion our quicks are going to be considerably less effective going forward compared to what they have been over the last few years, mainly as a result of considerably less reverse swing.

I agree PB and after the hysteria is forgotten and we incur some more heavy defeats we will naturally default back to whatever is standard practice among the top cricketing nations, with the authorities assuring us that teams are playing within the spirit of cricket.

I thought it was established that sandpapering the ball does nothing to help reverse swing, and that the intent was to get a new ball?

Seems really odd.

Like she’s taken the blame over the SBW thing & opposition/fans getting into Warner to then be feeling so much pressure to win that he resorted to instigating sandpapering the ball.

If Warner wasn’t such a mouthy c@nt onfield he’d have never have been copping it back in the manner it ended up. Not her fault at all.

1 Like

They have Roxy Jacenko guiding them. Safe to assume that everything is choreographed. Her accepting the blame will be part of the plan.

I reckon this will be Cook’s last series. He’s done.

England in a dominant position against the Kiwis, they are 125 in front with 9 wickets still in the shed.

2 Likes