Cricket Part II

I must say I was a bit surprised when I heard Steve Waugh get on his high horse and condemn the players for not playing in the ‘spirit of the game’.
The teams he led knew all about mental disintegration and sledging. He led the pack.

11 Likes

Why should you be surprised when society abounds with hypocrisy - After all the Commonwealth Bank dropped their sponsorship with either Smith or Warner, the same organisation that’s been investigated for cheating customers.

4 Likes

Cook has been garbage for years. He made 3/4 of his runs for the Ashes in one dig, in a dead rubber. Made 80 runs in 6 digs whilst the series was alive. Walking wicket.

As for Sanitarium’s moral outrage in dropping its wheatbix sponsorship. It has income tax exempt status as a charity owned by the Seventh Day Aventists. Same mob going round the suburbs purporting to do community health surveys, but pushing books of its own version of nutrition and health cures.

4 Likes

I was surprised because I thought he might have more sense than to open his mouth in that manner, perhaps in the belief that people have forgotten his role in this area.
Trying to re-write history with a bit of spin.

Ian Chappell also getting on his high horse re sledging. His teams were well known for giving verbals, and given the standards back in the 1970s you can imagine the lines they crossed back then.

Mmmm interesting. I remember thinking at the time why the ■■■■ has he got sooo much tape on his fingers?, It looks totally ridiculous. I played myself for many years, and never seen that much tape on someone’s fingers.
Now, when you think about it.
1: if your fingers are sooo sore you need so much bandages how are you fielding in covers?
Then, 2: do you go from there to another position that puts your hands in even more danger of being injured? The slips?? No way. No wonder the the SA were suss

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/cricket/news/david-warner-australian-cricket-quinton-de-■■■■-south-african-test/15stn7vw1ybv01lj6ayq8ow22w

Have to agree. He has been a magnificent player for us for a long long time. But time catches up with everyone. His biggest strength was his work off his pads, now it’s turned into a major weakness. Played one of the greatest series I have seen from someone in the Ashes in 2010/2011

I would have no problem with him getting a farewell game back home- he deserves that, but it’s time to look for fresh blood at the top.

Taping fingers in cricket does ■■■■ all unless for split web, or sometimes you might have a crack in a finger and taping it to the next finger helps because it acts like a splint.
Putting big lumps of tape on the end of each finger, if you were that sore , you’d either not be playing , it at the very least you’d not be fielding in the number one hotspot like slips or cover. It’s completely suss

It’s not lumps of tape, he has thermoplastic protection which he is holding on with tape. I know because I broke my little finger this season, had 2 pins inserted and when I came back I had the same stuff, which I had to hold on with tape. Not pleasant I can tell you…

2 Likes

If you got hit on the same end of that finger it would not help much. Especially fielding where he was. It’s very suss. I have never seen a person with that degree of taping ever field in cover or slips.

Yes it does. I pretty much snapped my finger up near the first knuckle and have about 50% range of movement in that joint now. Pretty much have a feeling of pins and needles now. Anything that helps you feel more confident you will use to protect yourself. Especially at the highest level when the ball is travelling so fast. It would not surprise me if Warner was using sandpaper himself, as he didn’t deny it when asked the question during his press conference. But tape would do absolutely nothing to alter the condition of the ball.

Cummins posts his maiden Test 50, then gets out shortly after. lbw to Maharaj via DRS. 7/196, Paine nearing his half-century on 46. Was a fine 7th wicket stand.

1 Like

Paine has a hairline fracture in the thumb. Could have had his 50, opted not to take the run to farm the strike, then got stuck at the other end. Hopefully Hazelwood can hang on.

A six to bring up his half century.

Well played, skipper.

3 Likes

Lucky Hanscomb is in the team should we need him to take the gloves.

All out 221. Paine our to a blinder of a catch. SAf to bat again.

All out 221, Paine the last out on 62 to a good catch. Cummins the only significant contribution with a 50.

SA batting again with a 267 run lead.

So why wasn’t Maxwell in?

@Crazy_Bomber

1 Like

Well done Cummins and Paine. Showed a bit of fight.

1 Like