Cricket Part II

That’s very honourable by Steve Smith

It’s still a stupid ban CA should be ashamed

4 Likes

Both Smith and Bancroft accepted and not going to appeal

Warner I can’t imagine is going to lay down on it. He loves a fight. It’s career ending really for him whereas the others much younger.

Say he appeals and gets reduced to say 3 months, you can guarantee that they just won’t pick him for 12 months

3 Likes

Seemingly, Warner is also attempting to inject some transparency in the decision, in regard to evidence from interviews ( not all players were interviewed).
What gets me is that Peever rang Turnbull from South Africa and Turnbull leapt into a media spray before there were any CA integrity investigations.

Very surprised at this. Fully expected the 12 month ban was for a warning shot/optics, and after empathy had been installed via contrition and the Media spin, and things had blown over, … an appeal would see them out for 3 months or so, … which everyone with any brains would have been fine with.

The only way it works now, is if the ICC or some other body appeals or intervenes on the sanctions.

Can they? :thinking:

1 Like

Imagine if Warner appeals and get his ban reduced to something like 3 months or completely overturned, the media pundits congratulating Smith and Bancroft for taking it on the chin, will turn around and laugh at them for not exercising their rights to a full hearing/appeal.

Hannah Mouncey had an article about Dave Warner and him not being such a bad guy. Started off with a line about how Australians love to bully…which I thought was ironic given that is exactly the role Warner plays on the cricket field.

CA processes are outside ICC jurisdiction. The only ICC link is that the ICC is considering tougher penalties for ball tampering etc as a a consequence.
Bruce Francis is having a spray at CA on Twitlonger. Can be accessed if you google The Governor twitter.

1 Like

Yeh fighting disrepute type clauses when you are guilty of something is near impossible and the small chance of victory is overwhelmed by the downside of having the governing body, media and public all against you.

It is true and from what I have heard some clubs in county are very interested in having Smith join them. Bancroft isn’t that good, Smith however was the best in the world.

Its not true because CA don’t have the authority to ban him from playing county cricket. So they CA aren’t letting him do anything. He may well get an interested county but it has nothing to do with CA.

1 Like

the irony of the mindless sheep of australia, as posed on some facebook memes.

3 people convicted of ball tampering, get a years ban.

5 odd cops beating the living ■■■■ out of a disabled person, where’s the outrage, other than 5 mins on one news night ?

The disparity between reactions to something actually repugnant and effecting of everyday life just goes to show how ■■■■■■ this nation really is.

11 Likes

CA have sated that they will “not stand in the way” of him playing county cricket. They can ban him from doing so.

CA rules ( as published on its site) apply to Australian international test, BBL representation and interstate games ( Sheffield Shield) . They do not apply to grade cricket or domestic events in other countries, like county and IPL.

And yet they can block a player playing in IPL and CC and have done so in the past.

What their rules “may” state and what they do are two different issues to be looked at.

Ah… so their ‘rules’ are similar to AFL ‘rules’

1 Like

Well the fact that they released a press release stating “they wouldn’t stand in the way” of him playing CC should tell all the armchair experts what they need to know about how CA operates. If they couldn’t block him, they would not have said that.

l am firmly opposed to bullying wherever and whenever it happens. Bullies have to be called on their behavior, it is unacceptable. An attitude of acceptance paves the way for thuggery, something l am glad the AFL has managed to stamp out.

1 Like

I hope England don’t let him play county cricket, I don’t want him being given any advantage before the ashes

1 Like