Cricket Part II

And stats show that there has been minimal difference in averages.

1 Like

So how do we fix our problem with swing bowling?

V.impressive century by Shane Watson in IPL final. Scoreless first 10 balls then gets 100 off next 41 balls.

Shane Watson smashed 117 off 57 balls in a stunning, unbeaten century as Chennai Super Kings won their third Indian Premier League title with a thumping eight-wicket win over Sunrisers Hyderabad.

Chennai cruised to 2-181 in 18.3 overs against a team known for successfully defending their total.

Watson’s incredible knock was made all the more impressive after the former Australian Test player failed to score off his first 10 balls.

It was a perfect comeback for Chennai after a two-year ban due to corruption charges.

Chennai, playing in its seventh final in the world’s preeminent Twenty20 tournament, had previously won back-to-back titles in 2010 and 2011.

“Every win is special, so difficult to pick any one win,” Chennai captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni said.

Earlier, after being put into bat, captain Kane Williamson (47) missed out on his ninth half-century in this year’s IPL and Yusuf Pathan made an unbeaten 45 to lift Hyderabad’s total to 6-178.

Watson, 36, smartly orchestrated the run-chase by hitting 11 fours and eight sixes while keeping strike bowlers Bhuvneshwar Kumar (0-17) and Rashid Khan (0-24) wicketless.

Together with Suresh Raina, who scored 32, Watson featured in a 117-run second wicket stand and took the game away from Hyderabad.

Watson, after setting himself in his scoreless opening spell at the crease, took charge against seamer Sandeep Sharma (1-52) and Sidarth Kaul (0-43) with his exquisite pull shots and deft cuts.

“Things fell my way nicely tonight but to be able to do it in such a big game, it’s very special,” Watson said.

“After those first 10 balls, I was hoping to catch up … once the ball stopped swinging, it got easier.”

Watson raised his half-century off 33 balls with a six over midwicket off left-arm spinner Shakib Al Hasan.

He then smashed two fours and three successive sixes off Sandeep in the 13th over, which went for 27 runs as Williamson ran out of ideas over how to stem the flow of runs.

Watson completed his second IPL century of the season off 51 balls with a single at cover off Rashid’s last over before smashing the Afghanistan leg-spinner for two consecutive boundaries.

Hyderabad’s innings lost its momentum once opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan (26) was clean-bowled by Ravindra Jadeja in the ninth over with the total on 64.

New Zealand skipper Williamson became only the fifth batsman in IPL history to score more than 700 runs in a season, but he was outfoxed by leg-spinner Karn Sharma and was stumped by Dhoni in the 13th over.

Williamson was the top-scorer in the tournament, with 735 runs at an impressive average of 52.50 and strike rate of 142.44.

“We thought it’ll be a competitive total but the pitch did hold a bit,” Williamson said.

“The boys are hurting at the moment but we’ve fought hard.”

2 Likes

No, apparently a bookmaker is trying to claim that and both the ICC ans CA have said there is zero evidence of that happening.

2 Likes

From the article I read on the cricinfo website it said CA have asked for an unedited version of it. Wouldn’t let mepost the link here. Maybe it’s been updated since?

I think one claim is that Maxwell overally defended the over before lunch in the test he made a 100. I would have thought given the Australian batting order’s propensity to give up wickets before a break is on par with Essendon giving up red time goals it was a smart move. Apparently he was defending in such a way to ensure he didn’t score any runs.

1 Like

Not like the media to go off half-cocked and run with claims that have no basis in truth because they have a dodgy witness who is trying to butter up a potential income source.

“hey I can get anyone to do anything in a test. Look at this test, they went slow during this over, that was because i made them do that”.

Nice evidence if you can use it.

We could make ball tampering legal in Shield cricket.

But seriously, it’s too early to tell if the Duke will make a difference, two half seasons is not enough to gauge, especially when it’s the second half of the season when the pitches tend to be a bit drier and harder.

Why do they do it for half seasons? Surely a full season makes more sense.

1 Like

I agree. I’m not sure what they’re planning next season but hopefully they do.

A full season would arguably mean we lose our home advantage. Imagine getting picked to play a test and having not played a game with a Kookaburra in recent times in Australia.

1 Like

One of the reasons for this setup but also contractual.

More guys, and I mean our batsmen, need to play County Cricket. But they don’t, they play franchise T20. More money. Are you gonna knock back hundreds of thousands, possibly even in excess of $1 Million for six weeks work ahead of being paid a fraction of that to play County? Also with International schedules so packed they might only have 2-3 months tops playing over there before having to go on tour. Back in the 80s and 90s the Test program was nowhere near as cramped. The likes of Border, the Waughs, Boon, etc played many seasons of County Cricket to enhance their games and gain experience in England. Unless you’re someone like a Chris Rogers who didn’t play Test Cricket for nearly 6-7 years and you had to play in England to earn a living, you just won’t have a Test regular get that body of work in…

1 Like

Yep, agreed. Renshaw is over there at the moment, Handscome is another who should be over there as well.

If you playba full County season, in terms of 4-day games you play double the amount just about. I think it’s a 16 game season (2 divisions of 9 teams, play each team once home and away). A friend of mine by the name of Adam Rossington, who plays for Northants, said you could theoretically play cricket 6 days a week almost for 6 months solid. I think the ECB changed the format now, but pretty much on the Monday you’d start a 4-day game (Mon-Thu), once that game is finished you’d sometimes have a limited overs match on the Friday. Then if you wanted to you could play a game for your club on the Saturday, with the Sunday used as a travel day to prepare for the next 4-day game. Rinse and repeat. If you played both formats you’d be knackered!

2 Aussies and 3 Poms are set to be interviewed once the ICC knows exactly who they are.

Some pretty conclusive proof given by the match-fixers.

Which overs are they going to bat slowly(carefully)?
The overs before lunch or tea breaks.

Oh, that’s never happened before.

It should be quite legal to kill Indian bookmakers.

5 Likes

Pakistan 2-24 at drinks after winning the toss. Broad with both, the first after having an lbw overturned, got the guy caught at third slip later in the over.

Poms have brought in Sam Curran on debut, Jennings and Woakes to replace Wood, Stokes (?) and Stoneman. Curran the 7th youngest to play for England…younger brother of Tom who toured here.

Broad has it doing a bit. We’d be 8 down by now.

1 Like

it was certainly moving about. the poms might have been in strife as well if they had batted .great to see the ball swinging

James Sutherland has stood down as Australian Cricket CEO. The game will be better for it.

3 Likes