Cricket Part II

in 12 months

About time

2 Likes

Credit to ā€œUrthorā€ on r/cricket

So we have gone from bad to worse?

ā€œand then lastā€™s yearā€™s hot-tempered MoU dispute, a process he was kept out of by Peever before ultimately intervening late in the piece.ā€

Hmmmm

(thatā€™s from Cricinfo)

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

7 Likes

Amazing win. Makes the 10 team World Cup even more of a joke.

3 Likes

Good on them, they were better than us and deserved their victory. Almost chased it down

Reckon a few poms had money on the scots

Only when they start doing it consistently. The first round of the world cup was irrelevant when the minows were involved

Completely disagree. The early rounds were super important for making sure you didnā€™t trip up against the so called minnows. Look at back at the performances by Zimbabwe in 1999, Kenya (and also Zimbabwe) in 2003 and Bangladesh/Ireland in 2007. You could also throw Bangladeshā€™s qualification for the knockout stages over in England in the last World Cup as one of the highlights of that tournament.

2 Likes

Yes those are great to see but for every 1 of those there is 4 one sided beltings

Kenya and zimbabwe in 2003 great. How about Namibia? Losses of 86 runs to zimbabwe (in a shortened 25 over match), 171 runs to pakistan, 256 runs to australia and a credible 55 runs to england. Canada got bowled out for 36 in that cup, plus netherlands and Bangladesh were complete pushovers

The problem the cricket world cup had it was too long with too many irrelevant games they had to lower the number of teams (though 12 would have been a better number)

Itā€™s not just about the results. Canada whilst not competitive provided one of the all time great World Cup highlights - Jon Davisonā€™s 100 against the West Indies in 2003. There are also numerous one sided games between the so called established nations.

I will argue that a single pool of 10 matches will provide far more less interesting and more irrelevant games than we had in the last World Cup given every game basically meant something. Now there may be many matches played in the back half of the tournament that have no bearing on who makes the semi finals. Hence just playing for the sake of playing.

My biggest issue is that the 2019 World Cup still basically has the same number of matches and goes for just as many days yet we have 4 fewer teams. The 2007 World Cup where both Pakistan and India failed to get to the super 8s have caused this. Unfortunately itā€™s all about tv dollars and the 10 team format ensure India get at least 9 matches.

1 Like

Shower thoughts:
What if Australia, England and South Africa only gave India two game Test series until they stopped acting like jerks?

1 Like

Iā€™m not suggesting the new format is better, just that there should be less minnows (which i think weā€™ll agree to disagree on).

I donā€™t think they add anything but fluff big team averages more often than not. Didnā€™t even mention Bermuda, what a disaster they were but Iā€™ll never forget this

1 Like

See my argument is that moments like that make the World Cup. Try remembering a match involving Australia vs India or any other big nation at the group stage from any World Cup. They have meant little in the past and now will probably mean even less. Whereas a game against Bermuda or whoever else was a banana skin you had to avoid. These individual highlights create memories that are needed.

1 Like

India would just say we donā€™t care. If you donā€™t want to play us we will just play more IPL and even fewer tests. Unfortunately they have too much power and Australia and England have taken the view they are far better off joining up with India than fighting against them. The gravy train is huge but go against India and all of a sudden the revenues might dry up.

Not going to happen because each country makes most of their money when they play India

2 Likes

Personally, I think the ideal World Cup format should be:

• 12 teams
  • 2 pools of 6 and everyone plays the other 5 teams in their own pool in the first stage. 30 matches
  • super 6 stage with the top 3 from each pool playing the teams from the other pool. 9 matches
  • semis with 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd
  • final

Less games overall than this team 10 team format with everyone playing everyone else.
2 more minnows get a go.

The minnows are getting more competitive in ODI cricket because of the introduction of T20 imo. If that trend continues the value of including the minnows will continue to increase. So you could easily keep the above format but slower increase from 14 teams then 16.
I canā€™t see a need for more than 16 teams anytime in about the next 20 or 30 years

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no way thatā€™s true for England and Australia.
Unless CA get Indian telecast revenue?