Cricket Part II

And WA last year had a couple of really major collapses that weren’t due to the wicket.

Got off the track after training last night thinking “she’ll be all over” but at that point we were 4 down and Head had just been dismissed. I thought “we couldn’t save this, could we?” and all the way through as we got closer and closer you just thought that a wicket would bring the whole house of cards down. There was a late scare but job well done, one I didn’t think this current team had in us. Hell I wouldn’t have backed us to save it even if we had Warner and Smith! It was a strange way to save the game because we still played our shots to a large extent. When South Africa or England play for a draw, they pretty much refuse to play any shots at all. I’ve seen AB De Villiers make 36 off 250 balls to save a Test. But Lion-hearted efforts from Khawaja, his finest hand easily, and Paine. Lots of discussion whether he’s worthy of his place in the XI, let alone as skipper, but we saw the qualities that he brings to this team. He will never play in Gilchrist fashion, but he is technically sound, discipled and a batsman who can dig in. Still plenty to think about for Abu Dhabi. Do we recall Renshaw and put Khawaja at 3 and drop one of the Marsh brothers or Labuschagne?

2 Likes

Hard to imagine a Mitch Marsh led side, stacked with Test players like Cartwright and Agar, being fragile.

1 Like

Fair enough.
You cant argue that he turned around a shi te organisation in WA into something half decent.
Which is the kind of thing the national team may be after.

■■■■-hot T20 side but!

2004 SCG Test against India too. It was an epic game. India made 705 in the first innings with a Tendulkar double century. It was also Steve Waugh’s last game and he ground out an 80 in the last innings. Katich pretty much got us home in the end.

1 Like

I won’t say Warneys emotionally intelligent as a four year old but constantly ripping into Steve Waugh because he dumped him once makes him look as emotionally intelligent as a four year old.

5 Likes

Gotta give credit where due, great effort to hold onto the draw. Excellent innings from Khawaja and Paine.

1 Like

the question is who does he hate more Waugh or Buchanan?

1 Like

Warney hates anyone that calls him out for who he is and will throw scorn down on that person accordingly.
No one else bothers because everyone knows how painful a whinging 4 yo is.

How selfish of him.

I tried to use my reciprocal MCC membership to get into the SCG for that game. Minimum $85 and that was well over 10 years ago. Bugger that…paid general admission.

Pretty sure the MCC is far more generous with reciprocal members.

I’ll join Warne. Steve Waugh is a flog.

1 Like

The last person that said I’ll join Warne ended up front page of the daily mirror.

1 Like

The only disappointing thing about Steve Waugh is that he didn’t record enough of his career for public consumption.
A real enigma.

Shane Warne has more positive drug tests than the entire EFC, in its history.

I agree, @Reboot.

His reputation as a captain was attained simply because our team was head and shoulders above everyone else.

1 Like

Bit like Buchanan’s

1 Like

Marsh brothers averaged 5 runs a dig in that test

That’ll be enough to ensure they are selected in the next tour squad

1 Like