Cricket Part II

Vics batting well, I popped in for a couple of hours this arvo whilst the wife went shopping.

Harris run out for 103

Then Finch came in and scored 33 runs off 2 overs from Zampa while Handscomb hardly faced a ball.
Now Finch on 33 and Handscomb 25

Tassie had Silk and Doolan make 40-50 odds while Bailey, Doran, McDermott and Webster made 1 run between them.
Bailey looks as if heā€™s done something horrible to his stanceā€¦got bowled for 0. Wade on 17.

Can put a line through Wade for the Ashes.
Was given 3 Shield games to make runs and has failed dismally in the first two.

Handscomb out for 44, c&b Lehmann, first first-class wicket
Finch not out 44

Again?!? Didnā€™t work last time. Wade gone for 17. Neville will be ā€˜keeping for Australia on Brisvegas unless something very dramatic happens between now and then.

Tassie were 1/92, now 9/122ā€¦5 ducks and Wade got 17 of those 30.

Feldman has 4.

Wow. Domestic comp bats are getting worse.

Was pleased to see Ian Chappell slap down Smithā€™s comments about wanting a vocal keeper:

ā€œNow I hear Steven Smith say: ā€œIā€™ve spoken to Pete [Nevill]; we had a chat and I said I probably just need a little bit more from you, and I need you to drive the boys and get the boys up and aboutā€.
ā€œIf that is shorthand for wanting Nevill to talk more on the field, then I disagree.
ā€œThe three best wicketkeepers Iā€™ve seen were Rod Marsh and Ian Healy from Australia and Alan Knott from England. All three had a few things in common: they were excellent glovemen, they were thoughtful and contributed ideas that helped the team take wickets, and they could bat.
That is the order of preference you should be looking for in wicketkeepers.ā€

Vics undoing their good work with a late collapse

Sorry Ian, but if you havenā€™t got Gilly in your top 3, then you havenā€™t been paying attention.

2 Likes

Sayers with 3 wickets in the last over of the day, on a hat trick tomorrow

Gilly wasnā€™t The best keeperā€¦he was the best keeper-batsman, not to say the other three were ordinary bats.

2 Likes

What does Lehman Jr bowl? His old man was useful with the ball.

Left arm tripe.
His bowling is pretty ordinary

Remind me of the famous self-deprecating quote from the legendary Arthur Mailey.

ā€œI bowled tripe, I wrote tripe, and now I sell tripeā€

1 Like

Gilly was our ā€˜keeper. Chappell lists batting as a key component of what makes a good ā€˜keeper. When he includes that then Gilly towers over all three he mentioned.

As the third factor.

Maybe the other three were much better at the first two.

Anyway, itā€™s his opinion. Itā€™s not a fact.

Yeah, the opinion of a man who hasnā€™t played at the top level for close to 40 years and one who loves to stick to his ā€˜old schoolā€™ values. Iā€™d be more inclined to put faith in what Stve Smith thinks the team needs than him, heā€™s with the team constantly and would probably have a good idea about what gets them up and about.

And : so nice of him to include a fellow Ch.9 commentator in his top 3, they really do love pumping up each otherā€™s tires, that lot.

Hrm, if a team of professional athletes with 11 ppl on the field who are all capable of talking need a vocal keeper to win, god help us.

2 Likes

Healy was one of the most vocal WK you will ever find. Just wouldnā€™t shut up. So I am surprised he included him as one of the three because it sort of defeats what he is saying.

I also donā€™t think Smith was just saying he wanted a vocal WK and nothing else, he was indicating that Nevill was struggling to be the support Smith was looking for. Marsh, Healy, Gilly, they were all really helpful to the captains, often adjusting the field or making suggestions, ones that proved to be right. I think Smith is saying the Nevill doesnā€™t do that, he isnā€™t a support much to Smith while Wade is very vocal and helpful.

I will also say that Nevill isnā€™t dramatically superior to Wade, certainly better but not brilliant. So if he is going to be quiet and not make runs and only offer a little more consistency behind the stumps then he isnā€™t a better player for Smith.