Cricket Part III

He’s another back injury away from career over. Such a shame given his talent. He could easily be as good with the bat as Mitch Johnson, average low-mid 20s coming in at 8 or 9. He needs to have a good run at it and get some cricket into him. He had a ridiculously good 2017 County season at Notts (I think) before this setback.

Starcs batting is closer to Johnsons in my opinion good hitters that don’t want to be in there for a long time. Johnson could have been a genuine all-rounder if he applied himself to it though.

Patto and Cummings both have better defensive techniques and value their wickets more than the other two, albeit at the expense of expansive shots.

1 Like

Johnson’s average was 22

Pattinson’s is 27

And he’s concentrated a lot more on his batting (again - he was a top order bat as a junior) since his back injuries.

Correct.

Forgot about Pattinson.
Fricken lunatic but handy

Pattos average was aided by a bunch of ‘not outs’ if memory serves, which just shows his batting mentality

7 not outs in 19 innings
Highest score 42

1 Like

Tremain made a ton last year.

Patto should always bat at least two spots ahead of him. Made quite a few tons at Premier level.

Looking forward to watching Peter Dickson’s doco that will screen on Fox Cricket over the next two nights. It is all about the rivalry between India and Australia.

@Alan_Noonan_10 some Carnegie players were interviewed for the show on the basis 90% of the club’s players are now Indian.

1 Like

With the proximity to Monash Caulfield campus, and access to young Indian men, it looks like Carnegie took full advantage, but North Caulfield-Glenhuntly found that we were getting little benefit. None of the players ever came back to the club, rarely turned up at training, essentially were a big cost to the club.

How has Carnegie handled that? How do they curry favour?

Incidentally, caught up with the two older guys who used to watch games up at Koornang Park overa couple of cool drinks. Had a good chinwag in the backyard.

1 Like

In the 3 years I was actively involved at Carnegie I saw a distinct move towards embracing the Indian players. One of the first things was ensuring there were plenty of teams meaning those who wanted a game and showed commitment by training and paying subs got a game. It also meant players could play both days of the weekend - which a large number embraced.

Off field there was also the recognition that it wasn’t just about BBQs and beers. Regularly after training there would be an Indian style dinner for the entire club to eat. This would alternate around with pizzas and BBQs, but there was always a vegetarian option. With regards to the beers it was accepted that only a few were likely to stick around for more than one post game drink. Therefore the culture moved. In saying that there were definitely a number of the Indian players who loved a beer and a night out!

Other things which probably helped were the fact that the coach and many of the best players were Indian. This naturally broke down some barriers. Also of the 7 senior teams at least 5 would have had an Indian captain. The committee also included at least 2 or 3 Indian members to ensure any concerns were raised in the correct forum.

One of my favourite cricket social events in my 20 plus years of playing would be the Bollywood theme night I attended last year. It was amazing and so much fun. A great deal of laughter was directed at the silly non-Indians trying to learn how to dance Bollywood style. Absolutely everyone dressed up meaning the room was just so bright and colourful.

So it basically was the entire club had a general willingness to embrace the Indian culture. Without these players it might be difficult to see how the club would have survived. There is now a good crop of juniors coming through so the next challenge is to ensure their integration into the senior grades. With this I foresee more of a balancing out in the mix of Indian players.

5 Likes

Lynn went ballistic and Finch got out after starting well and grafting a decent start.

whats wrong with normal cricket shots or cant they play them lol

The way of the modern player, they have a fascination with silly ramp type shots.

maxwell playing normally whats going on here!

that umpire watching a different game not to call that no ball?
Big Show on fire!!

Light rain hitting the ground now

Stoinis just dropped

Game stopped due to rain