Cricket Part III

what did we ever do to deserve fleming, hodge and brayshaw. fmd. cretin central.

First time watching the BBL live. Texted my best mate as to which Melbourne team to support. His answer was Renegades as Eddie associated with Stars. Good enough for me! Go ā€˜Gades!

2 Likes

Yep.

If you have to do it,ā€¦ Itā€™s gotta be the Red & Black.

If they make the Final, .(thereā€™s a final right?), and I know about it, I might even watch with the TV muted.

1 Like

Interesting that the renegades selected Sutherland as a batsman

Stars for me. Picked them for 2 reasons- they had players that i liked and they play their games at the MCG

Problem is, we always lose our best players come finals time due to international games

Heā€™s cheap cos heā€™s there anyway renting his enormous noggin out as the sightscreen.

1 Like

Hurricanes!!

1 Like

Did it without painey.
Too good.

1 Like

Would he get a game with wade behind the stumps?

We need him in the national post in this our most perilous hour.
Iā€™d prefer him behind the stumps for tassie - I could see him reinjuring his finger at gully or something.

ICC marked the Perth pitch as average (the lowest positive rating it can give).

This is a test that was a battle of bat and ball, exciting and produced an result. You wonder what is wrong with international cricket, this is part of it. They want flat roads that donā€™t do anything.

2 Likes

Would that be international or Indian cricket council . Thereā€™s no difference these days.

6 Likes

I am happy with the rating of the Perth Pitch - The pitch had variable bounce from near the end of day two, and at times was potentially dangerous - It was an average pitch at best - The ICC put themselves into a bind when they mistakenly rated the MCG pitch from 2017 at the lowest rating of poor - Flat pitches may be boring but they arenā€™t dangerous.

Yeah but it was a lot of fun

1 Like

What a joke. Perfect pitch for mine

Plenty for the bowlers if they get it in the right areas.

Plenty for the batsmen if they are willing to dig in and work hard for their runs

Much More likely to get a winner on a pitch like that than some of the flat almost concrete like pitches that are prepared all over the world

2 Likes

I can sort of see where they are coming from. People shouldnā€™t think an ā€œaverageā€ rating means it was a bad wicket. I think the fact from the 2nd session of Day 4 onwards you saw some balls that reared up dangerously at the batsmen, thatā€™s what wouldā€™ve led to it not being rated as ā€œgoodā€ or ā€œvery goodā€.

The pressure is on Melbourne and Sydney now. Given the heat expected on days 2-3 (mid-high 30s), the MCG wicket could really dry out and become very difficult to bat on on the last day or so. We also need to get away from the attitude that a drawn match means the pitch didnā€™t deteriorate enough and that when a result is reached in a game that automatically means a fair contest between bat and ball. As long as the contest between bat and ball is fair across the 5 days, let the teams decide who is best.

3 Likes

The whole pitch ranking thing isnā€™t great.

2 Likes

Depends on what they class as good pitchjes. Some of the ā€œworstā€ pitches make the most exciting games. I mean how fun was that Test in Pune when it was turning sideways from day 1? 100 was almost 300. Perth pitch was a lot of fun too, whilst the flat ā€œsafeā€ pitches are boring. One thing that has become really prominent in the last few years is basically bat first and you win most games. I can see how they rated it as such even if I donā€™t agree with their rating - basically inconsistent bounce varying from a few cmā€™s off a half tracker to something that shoots up from a length ball, potentially dangerous and hurt and the one that hurt Finch.

They need to tell them what pitches they expect?

1 Like

Interesting stats on batting first here:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=1;class=1;filter=advanced;groupby=decade;orderby=start;template=results;type=team

Basically the 80s/90s/00s provided no advantage to batting first (actually a marked disadvantage in the 80s and 00s)

The 10s have seen it swing back, very much advantageous to bat first

The MCG last year got the same rating as this:

ā€œThe pitch prepared for the final Test was a poor one. It had excessively steep and unpredictable bounce, and excessive seam movement.

ā€œIt deteriorated quickly as the match progressed, which made batting extremely difficult and hazardous, resulting in the medical staff from both the sides having to come onto the field of play multiple times to treat their batsmen.

ā€œAs the on-field umpires are also responsible for the playersā€™ safety, they expressed concerns about the behavior of the pitch, and debated after day three if it was appropriate to continue the match.

ā€œIn the end, the umpires made the decision to continue and the Test reached its natural conclusion on day four. However, there was still excessive variable bounce and seam movement when the Test match ended.ā€

You canā€™t tell me thatā€™s right.

2 Likes