Cricket Part III

No they don’t. At the moment there is a disparity due to the girls poor broadcasting arrangements, sponsorship and scheduling. It’s like AFLW, it’s going to take time til there is equal pay.

1 Like

Won’t ever be equal pay in my lifetime IMO. It comes down to supply and demand. TV rights are helping in the parity stakes but at the end of the day if only a handful of people rock up to watch then it’s hard to justify a huge pay increase. Women’s cricket still gets very poor crowds which hopefully for them will change one day but for this to happen there needs to be a pretty decent raising of the standard which I believe is being worked on currently by the states and junior pathways

It’s a tough road to equal pay but sometimes it is made even more challenging by the networks. Today’s final is a classic example of this. It was being played 1030-1430hrs AEDST, it could have been on a sub channel but it was only available on the cricket channel.

CA assigned all rights over to Foxtel pretty much. Same reason why we haven’t seen any of the men’s games on FTA

Most important factor in equal pay in women’s sport is engaging and building female audiences; there are just as many potential female viewers as there are male ones.

Congrats to the girls, at least they’re holding up their end of the bargain.

3 Likes

Yep, massive room for growth if they can tap into the female population and get them to attend.

1 Like

Was on FTA today in Melbourne. Gem i think.

I don’t know how much the high profile girls like Perry, Lanning and Healy earn, and I don’t expect it to get anywhere near the million or more that high-profile male players get, but $200k pa shouldn’t be out of reach.

Those are two pretty big ifs right there.

Of course. Plenty of women attend men’s Aussie rules around the country, need them to attend the women’s aswell. Cricket is a much harder task as I legitimately don’t know any women who enjoy cricket at all lol

Perry would easily as she’s a highly marketable athlete due to the fact that she’s a very attractive girl. I doubt Healy or Lanning would get paid as much, maybe purely off cricket but in terms of endorsements I wouldn’t think so. TBH I think the standard of women’s cricket is pretty good. Skills wise they are technically pretty sound, but clearly they can’t bowl at 150 kph or hit the ball as far as a male cricketer.

Male cheer leaders

My understanding is that the 3 elite players you speak of would earn in the $150-200k region which is about equivalent of what a male State contract is worth

A lot of sports could look to what the matildas are doing, womens soccer seems to be well attended.

It also helps having someone like Sam Kerr being the face of your sport, by being the best in the world at such a young age.

I channel surfed, couldn’t find it but I may have missed Gem. It wasn’t advertised well.

Support for the Matilda’s has been phenomenal. Hasn’t quite filtered down to the W-League just yet but I think it will eventually

1 Like

Sandakant for Sri Lanka in the last 30odd minutes has gotten stokes out twice, yet has bowled a front foot no ball on each one. Stokes somehow survives

1 Like

Wickets off no-balls are absolutely morale sapping. Spinners should never overstride. The Test is just about over. Another 100 runs and England should comfortably defend a lead of 300…

1 Like

And they were lucky to get away with three or four in the first dig. Inexcusable as the spinner just doesn’t need to touch the line.

2 Likes