Cricket Part III

The one that I love is guys needing 3-4 days rest after every T20.
Can you imagine wanting to rest the day after batting for 8 overs, or bowling 2 x 2 over spells??

3 Likes

Yep. And I think in terms of the quick bowlers, there’s an argument to be made that only 4 overs is actually counterproductive. Pattinson for instance may not be “can’t even get through 4 overs” but rather “Is struggling because it’s only 4 overs” . And it’s even worse than that, as very often those 4 aren’t even in one spell. Give us one at 150 clicks, then go and cool down
, oh now it’s a powerplay, give us another flat out from the other end
cool down etc.

Then, after no 1st class cricket for two months, let’s ramp it back up to 20 overs in a day on a road in late February.

I’m not a bowling expert. Far far from it. But if D K Lillee reckons the problem is that the bowlers aren’t grinding out enough overs - in the nets and in game - to harden the body then that’s good enough for me.

We’ve got a lot wrong atm, in my view.

1 Like

From when I was ~14 to ~17 I was playing juniors (40 overs, Friday night) and school cricket (45 overs Saturday morning) and occasional seniors (40 overs per side one dayers).

So anywhere from 40 to 165 overs of cricket per weekend.
Plus training (tuesday and thursday juniors, would do some of the seniors training session after that, and wednesday for school).

The really good 17-18yo kids play for rep sides as well on wednesday nights, and T20s for club seniors on every 2nd tuesday night.

So I won’t cop that they couldn’t play two one-dayers a week, or T20 at the same time as shield.
T20 was specifically designed to fit in the same time a training session takes.

I heard one of the quicks on radio (probably Stuart Clark) talking about the bowlers only bowling 30 balls per training session.
It seems a pretty big leap to expect them to bowl 4 x 6 over spells in a day, if they only bowl 5 overs in training. And how can they improve, with those restrictions?

Baseball has a certain way they handle pitchers. Ramp up the workload over time, and very strict with rest. Eg 30 pitches today, 60 on Friday, 90 on Monday etc. And they get a good warmup, every time they pitch.

1 Like

Don’t recall ever hearing that one but average joe punter does significantly underestimate the physical demands of a T20 game. Players often talk about feeling just as fatigued after a T20 as they do after a full day of test cricket, such is the increased intensity in the game.

oh look, Finch is out already, I am shocked

Do we have anyone who can bat longer than 7 overs without getting out?

And Carey. 2-26

Now we need Khawaja and SMarsh to stay there for the bulk of the overs.

To at least 30.

Get rid of finch. He is the new Watson

1 Like

Not quite, he isn’t as good with the bat and he can’t bowl. But yes, I agree. I would rather they had Short and Carey at the top.

2 Likes

Average 1st innings score in the last 10 ODI games at Adelaide is 240

Although they have mentioned that the pitch has been cut shorter than it has been previously, it is also stinking hot.

cut shorter than the test match.

It’s dry and slow and taking some turn. Wont be the easiest surface to chase on, 270-280 could be a pretty competitive total again.

Where’d they dig this Mohammed Siraj up from? I had to check it wasn’t Umesh Yadav for a second there with the amount of 4-balls being sent down. What a pie-chucker!

1. Finch to 6, Maxwell to 1 (with a license to thrill)

2. Short in for Carey (has talent with the bat, hasn’t shown an ability to build big innings in 50 overs though), Handscomb to keep.

3. Then Warner and Smith in for Marsh and Usman

Gives us 5 genuine bowling options, 4 bowlers and Stoinis, with Maxwell and Darcy Short as part-time options.

Gives us an opening partnership (1. Maxwell, 2. Short) who can score quickly in the PP and a middle order (3. Warner, 4. Smith, 5. Handscomb, 6. Finch ©, 7. Stoinis) who can bat to the circumstances of the game with the ability to chase, rebuild and finish off an innings as required.

Warner, Handscomb, and Smith can all play spin well and are great between the wickets; Finch and Stoinis have the power hitting against both pace and spin but both can also build big innings when we have an inevitable collapse.

Maxwell does not open. You open with openers not use him in the wrong position. Carey and Short should be the openers if Warner doesn’t play, Maxwell at 4

Khawaja spent too much time ball watching instead of running. Brilliant throw though. Still run with your head down not watching the player throw you out. I see too many players that do that. Worry about where the ball is after you have got home.

1 Like

You’d think that if he were ball watching he’d have known he’d needed to put a dive in

1 Like

Why do they always have to compare different run outs, who the frig cares?