Cricket Part III

Maxwell is not an opener. His career strike rate didn’t come as an opener. He gets that strike rate batting lower in the order and chasing very quick runs.

I like Maxwell and want him playing, but not as an opener, he isn’t suited to the role and has basically never really played there since early in his career.

You guys are trying to make him out as our saviour, he isn’t that.

And nice abuse btw, pity is wasn’t correct.

It’s just such a pity we don’t all get to look at your magical crystal ball.
Oh well.

I don’t believe in saviours.
I do believe it’s worth trying things out, particularly when we seem to stink pretty bad.
In fact I think “we can’t possibly try X” is about as mindless as it gets.

Leave Maxwell middle order. He can’t play a swinging ball so I’d be hesitant opening with him. When the ball is a little bit older he can come in and tee off. Is batting 2 spots low in this side IMO

1 Like

And you called my post unbelievably stupid.

You don’t just "try things’ by throwing a player around the order. That very rarely works and often causes the player to lose confidence because they don’t succeed. You play someone in a position that suits their technique. Maxwell is a proven lower order player so you play him there.

If we need an opener then you look at those whose natural position is as an opener, that has a reasonable track record there, such as Short or even give Carey (that’s where you “try” something) a chance to either sink or swim.

You don’t try things because you just don’t.
Right.
Got it.
That’s what your point boils down too. And I get that you wouldn’t, and that’s fine. But you haven’t really given anything more than that.

And I’m done with this enlightening conversation.

Carey is fast scoring, is he?

Why do you feel the need to behave like a petulant child instead of just discussing it? Why not just stick to having a decent discussion. You do realise we don’t have to agree with each other?

Is “you just don’t” really adding much to the conversation?

You never used to open the batting with the keeper - until someone did.
You never used to bowl spin early in the innings - until someone did.
You never shift people around the order - except that happens all the time.

2 Likes

Gilly was already a successful opener at domestic level, he wasn’t just tried for the sake of trying something at international level.

That is not correct, spinners were tried early plenty of times, never really worked until Shane Warne came on the scene.

We are talking about Maxwell going from 5,6 or 7 to opening, something he has basically never done. If he had been tried at different times over that last 7 years then it is worth trying now, but he hasn’t done this, even at domestic level very much.

You wouldn’t.
I hear you. Noted!

Dipak Patel opened the bowling with great success in the 92 WC

I wouldn’t either TBH. We should be settling a side for the WC which is played in English conditions where the ball will do plenty. Maxwell will struggle over there opening against the new ball so pointless trying him for a few practice matches now as he wouldn’t even be in the picture to open over there

1 Like

Don’t tell HAP

Meanwhile Maxwell gets a wicket.

To be fair there aren’t a lot of aussie batsmen who can

Too true

Yep, it is baffling that we do not send our test players over to play county cricket, best place to learn.