Cricket Part III

A few have been asking for the return of Renshaw to the test team, yet he has barely made a run in the SS for two years.

Dean failed again…for the umpteenth time in a row…Maddinson hurt his thumb fielding but Vics 2/106 with Pucovski 43 and Gotch 27. Not sure I think much of playing 5 bowlers.

Fekete is an obvious out for Boland for the final, but with White and Dean out of form and Maddinson injured, what do the Vics do to the teamfor the final?

NSW lost Copeland 2nd ball of the day butAbbott and Baxter Holt have taken them to 8/360.

Edit…NSW all out 375. Abbott 47*

I fail to recall seeing any cricket at Galle. The ground seems rather small (and free to watch from the fort!)

1 Like

Being that Dean is captaining the side in Maxwell, Finch and Handscomb’s absence, I don’t see them dropping him in spite of his shocking form. Somebody once told me Trav would be playing test cricket for Australia within two years after his debut season. I laughed heartily at the time. I’m still laughing.

We don’t have a heap of options though in reality.

That stand looks too big to be Galle! It reminded me of suburban oval in terms of infrastructure but with a truly amazing setting - the ocean on two sides and the fort overlooking it from one end.

1 Like

Oh it’s definitely Punt Road scale, including the thin strip of outfield on the fort side.

1 Like

Has been terrible this season but scored three centuries in the shield after christmas last season. In the last 2 years he’s had two months of outstanding shield form and 3 months of outstanding county form. But terrible the rest of the time and nowhere near test selection at the moment.

1 Like

and they’d have tigers

real tigers

Plus he had a really good run playing county cricket last year. He isn’t that far away. Awful form yes but we know he can succeed at test level. So once he finds some form he will be back in the test team thinking.

1 Like

Except that now we know that he can have extended spells of poor form, whereas we didn’t know that before. It’s why players get the second-year blues…the opposition discover their weaknesses.

Like when the Poms finally realised that Taylor and Gilchrist have weaknesses against bowlers coming round the wicket, and pitchers started pitching curveballs to Pedro Cerrano…who fled Cuba due to religious persecution.

Pucovski misses out on the 100 in pretty unlucky circumstances. Clipped on off his legs into the short leg’s shin and bounced up into the keepers arms. Stiff.

1 Like

James Pattinson coming in at 4th drop??? That is one hell of a tail…

I thought Shield games now had a sub rule where if someone was injured during the game they could be replaced. Am I wrong? If not, why hasn’t Maddinson been replaced?

Maddinson injured - would’ve been in at 4 or 5, Pattinson slated to come in at 7.

the sub rule is only for concussions.

1 Like

Vics got past then collapsed. Short 56 Pattinson 24 then Tremain and Hollard brisk ducks.

Dean is really struggling and has no place in the state team. Be interesting to compare Dean’s record with Renshaw in the last two SS seasons.

Dean is averaging 16 this season with 250 runs, Renshaw 19 with 320. last season Renshaw averaged 44 with 804 runs Dean 27 with 500 runs.

1 Like

Beautiful ground. Having the oceans on both sides of it caused chaos during the tsunami of 2004.
Sat on top of the rocks near the stadium where a lot of the locals go to watch the cricket for free, great view.

2 Likes

Vics bowling again against the SACA’s, 1/1 early and guess who…

1 Like

2/2 - Patto again

4 Likes

Oh yeah… the blood is starting shift…

Did I mentioned he’s signed with Notts for an early season county stint this season?

It’s fappening!!!

2 Likes