Cricket Part III

Ravi Ashwin has set the IPL alight overnight by controversially running out Jos Butler before delivering the ball. Personally I don’t have much issue with doing this in general.

The two big questions are should he have given a warning (not required under the laws but this is the generally accepted thing to do) and secondly did he pause in his delivery stride which led to Butler inadvertently leaving the crease.

If you want a laugh have a look at the response from English cricketers on social media. It would be appropriate to dig out the footage of Broad whacking one to first slip and not walking.

2nd time butler’s been mankad in 12 months. Get behind the line ■■■■.

*im inclined to give a warning but clearly you don’t have to. Since the caveat about being before your delivery stride got tossed out I think the point about Ashwin drawing him into the dismissal is null and void. He didn’t have to deliver the ball if he was trying to effect a mankad.

1 Like

Personally, I think it is tantamount to the underarm both technically allowed in the rules both dog acts. At the very least a warning should be given, but even then Butler wasn’t exactly taking much, if any ground.

But now that he’s set the precedent, I hope that it is used against every team he plays for. It will certainly make the World Cup more interesting if Mankading is used against the Indians. And I dare say all the Indians supporting Ashwin now will quickly change their tune.

2 Likes

You think it’s a dog act?

I think Butler is in the wrong. He’s creeping up the pitch so he has less chance of being runout at the other end by having a shorter distance to travel. If you aren’t out of your crease you can’t be run out.

And if it’s his second time - he should definitely know by now to wait for the ball leaving the bowlers hand before moving up the pitch.

2 Likes

Thought he needs to be in his delivery stride to then be run out?

1 Like

That’s correct and this seems to be the main issue. A lot of people are saying Butler was tricked into leaving his crease, however you could also easily argue that you just don’t leave your crease until you see the ball released by the bowler. That way its simple for everyone, no interpretation required.

2 Likes

Would love to see the reaction if Kholi is run out like this in the world cup

4 Likes

The only reason he was out of his crease was because Ashwin intentionally didn’t ball the ball. If Ashwin thought Butler was stealing yards then he should have just told the batsman and the umpire.

Looks behind the crease in my eyes.

2 Likes

Really?

As far as a tactic goes, yes, different stakes being a meaningless IPL game though. But if this happened in a WC knockout or final it would be just as shameful.

Simple solution, stay behind the ■■■■■■■ line till the ball is bowled. Twice in a year.

2 Likes

His bat was behind the line, Ashwin was the one who refused to deliver the ball which should make it a dead ball. If Buttler wasn’t belting them everywhere Ashwin doesn’t attempt it, a weak effort from a desperate bowler.

No doubt it was a desperate move from the captain of that side. But within the rules. I don’t really care for virtue signalling about stuff that’s supposedly immoral but actually in the rules. The fact that Ashwin was ■■■■■■■■ so many bricks as to do it just makes it’s all the more amusing.

1 Like

I guess I’ve seen too many games deteriorate into a shitshow or end completely because some carnty bowler, usually a spinner couldn’t earn his wickets properly.

As for this situation it’s kind of perfect as it ■■■■■■ off England and paints a target on Ashwin’s back and India’s by proxy.

1 Like

Setting aside that leaving your crease before the ball is bowled IS AGAINST THE ■■■■■■■ RULES, we’re talking about legit professional international cricket matches here, not some village suburban comp.

1 Like

In my opinion, Ashwin is cheating.

When he’s ready to deliver the ball, Buttler is inside his crease. And to say you should wait until you see the ball leaving the bowler’s hand is ridiculous.

But if the non-striker is cribbing, and leaves before the bowler is ready to deliver. fair game! It’s a no-ball if the bowler cribs.

4 Likes

Nearly as bad as an underarm serve in tennis.

No, it’s just what every child that ever plays cricket is taught…

1 Like

In my view, you started a yard or so back from the stumps and when the bowler reached you, you started moving.

If the bowler then stops, he’s cheating.

I’d never give anyone out under those circumstances and would consider pinging the bowling team 5 penalty runs.

2 Likes

Disagree that the non-striker shouldn’t be watching the bowlers arm for the release of the ball. What else are they watching? If you can be run out by the bowler then you surely have a duty to yourself and your team to ensure you do everything possible to avoid getting out.

As for the bowling stopping. It’s the same as the batsmen leaving his crease early. You can claim they are both cheating. But I’m guessing you would never penalise the batting team 5 runs for their offence. The game is already way too in favour of the batting team without giving them even more concessions! Yes I’m primarily a bowler.

2 Likes