Cricket Part III

It should have been a dead ball call by the ump.

I agree that the bowler leaving his crease early is cheating too. But I donā€™t agree that itā€™s on the same level as the bowler stopping.

I probably wouldnā€™t go the 5 run penalty, but if the captain wanted to continue the appeal, the team would certainly be getting a zero on the Spirit of Cricket assessment we fill in every game.

And make sure that you realise that I consider there to be a massive difference between the batsman being in the crease at the normal delivery stride, and outside his crease. The first I consider the bowler is cheating, the second the batsman.

And this is the funny thing rightā€¦ Ashwin clearly gives ZERO ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  about the famed spirit of cricket, as does every other ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  nation. They care about winning. Only Australians price their own moral superiority above the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  results.

And just on the spirit of cricketā€¦ WG Grace refused to walk after getting bowledā€¦

2 Likes

I have no problem with the mankad whatsoever. Itā€™s a legitimate form of dismissal and people saying Ashwin operates outside of the spirit of the game are probably the same ones who donā€™t have a problem with soccer players milking minimal contact in the penalty area to get a spot kick. Rules are there to be exploited. The ICC/MCC changed the laws surrounding the mankad to try and stop non-strikers gaining an unfair advantage by backing up metres down the pitch once the bowler hits their delivery stride, which is once the back foot lands, he/she used to be compelled to bowl the ball. That has now changed. Technically once the bowler commenced the swing of the arm then they must follow through and deliver the ball.

Buttler wasnā€™t trying to get an unfair advantage given his bat was still grounded when Ashwin hit his delivery stride, but before commencing the swing of the arm Ashwin did stop and with JB out of his ground removed the bails. Nice? No. Within the laws of cricket? Yes. A memo to all batsmen to pay attention to the bowler and wait for them to release the ball before backing upā€¦

2 Likes

This is the key thing for me. Very simple way of avoiding any potential issues.

2 Likes

Real ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  simple. Still too hard for Jos evidently given heā€™s had to learn the hard way twice.

When the bowler is in the process of bowling the ball and you are behind the line, would you not assume he is still bowling the ball? Check out the still frame, he is fully extended to bowl the ball and the bat is behind the line.

To then stop and turn around and flick off the bails is dodgy.

I didnā€™t realise Noondog was a cricket umpire.
When the players appeal does he ignore them unless they can tell him where the apostrophes are in Howzat?

4 Likes

I expect them to also ask in French, German and Spanish.

Iā€™ve certainly told batsmen not to leave their crease until over is calledā€¦just in caseā€¦and not to pick up the ball if thereā€™s any chance someone will appeal.

I did call over once slightly prematurely when I thought someone was going to try to run the batsman out at the end of an over.

Cool story. But do you give LBWā€™s?

Of course, if a batsman has done something to annoy me and the bowler hasnā€™t.

4 Likes

Prefer Butlerā€™s reaction here.

1 Like

Pretty much the response I was expecting.

:joy:

I saw a guy at the grand final the other day. Iā€™d given him lbw second ball earlier in the year on the grounds that he was plumb. Saturday he was wearing a ā– ā– ā– ā–  Carlton cap. Made me smile a bit on the insideā€¦on the outside too.

2 Likes

Bruce Yardley has died after a battle with cancer

RIP Bruce

1 Like

Hereā€™s one

There was a runout from 2nd slip in the GF over the weekend. Batsman just switched off and didnā€™t get back into his ground, and the slip had a go.

One or two of the batting team thought it was dead ball - Iā€™m sure thatā€™s only when it gets back to the keeper (or when play is otherwise obviously stopped) ?

Would you have given it?

Pretty sure ball is only considered dead when the ball goes back to the 'keeper. Itā€™s happened quite a few times where the slip fieldsman runs out the batsman. Mark Waugh ran out a kiwi batsman with a back handed flick down in Hobart in the 90s or early 2000s. Maybe Nathan Astle?

Depends. If the ballā€™s still obviously live, then heā€™s out.

But if, say, the keeperā€™s fumbled itā€¦and itā€™s just trickled to slipā€¦and everyone thinks itā€™s deadā€¦

The better question is, does it go down as a Run Out or a Stumping?