Derek Kickett -- re-heating the hot take

Wanganeen was shoved in the back as he kicked that too. Should’ve been a free in front of goal.

1 Like

I know somebody mentioned the… it’s hard for me to type or even say the words… the… 1990 Grand Final…

He kicked one of the most underrated Grand Final goals in the history of the game in that GF. One of very few on the day and I would imagine, had we won, more would be spoken about that goal.

From what has been put on the public record about the dumping during the 1993 finals series, I think there is a lot of regret from the club (including the coach) how that was all handled. Could’ve been handled better from both parties.

1 Like
7 Likes

Had a kick with my son the other night. I hit a few torps and he wasn’t hitting any. Did a few torp passes - much easier to hit to try get his eye in. He got a few of those off. But he still couldn’t land any longer bombs. It’s the only kicking skill I still have over him, although my long bomb torps are shorter than his drop punts!

2 Likes

Lose two finals in the same finals series by 1 point ffs.

Only club to have lost four finals by a point:

86 elimination
96 prelim
96 second qualifying final
99 prelim

1 Like

And besides the 1996 Preliminary Final, I don’t think we deserved to win any of those. Perhaps an unpopular view.

1996 - 13 points up with 5 minutes to go in a low scoring game, that should’ve been it. I reckon we were outplayed for a majority of those other games.

And they are all topped by the 1948 Grand Final.

Realistically, the 99 prelim is the only one we would have gone on to win the flag IMO.

Yep would’ve got smoked by North in 96.

2 Likes

Apparently there was some attitude problems there as well, during the Prelim against Adelaide, and then broke a coach imposed curfew during the week. He gave Sheedy no choice.

I was 12 years old when we won the '93 flag and it remains my all-time favourite footy memory. I absolutely idolised Michael Long.

All the commentary here is that Dekka was in terrible form and deserved to be dropped. But I’d like to know: had Wallis done enough to get a call-up? Especially for such a big game?

1 Like

North was unstoppable in 96

1 Like

Its genuinely hard looking back and thinking that 90s north squad only got 2 flags. Could have easily racked up 3 or 4.

Fell away in 93
Dicked in the 94 prelim after the siren
Dicked in the 98 GF after domianting to HT

2 Likes

true but lucky with the 99.

That was ours

1 Like

WAllis was always a Sheedy favourite.

Derek was very unlucky in 93. He kicked 8 goals in r.20 then the following week against Geelong he ended up on Ablett after Fletcher went down. He did play in the backline at times in 93 to help plug up gaps, but that happening a week after bagging 8 would be unthinkable these days. We then had a bye in r.22 and he ended up on and off the bench through the finals. He was a regular goalkicker throughout 93, he was almost played out of form. I would’ve dropped Hills myself. Derek was a damn good player for us and deserved better. Any talk it should’ve happened earlier is ridiculous.

1 Like

I loved Wallace. Except for the last 2 minutes of the 99 preliminary final where I wanted to kill him.

1 Like

Was at the WCE Torp match in 93 . And the Dogs nine goal game. Went both times with dad. Was 15. I’ll never forget them. Unbelievable stuff.

As for the 93 GF…tough one. Shouldnt have been dropped…but shouldnt have played…but…yeah I dunno aye…

Yep, no-one doubts this. But did he deserve his call-up?