Diets

Not sure about that, Megz. For most people who are overweight it really is as simple as eat less and exercise more, but most people who are overweight don't do it. You have to have digscipline and persistence, and it takes a while. It's a lot easier to continue to have the bucket of hot chips mid-morning and the sandwich with 350 grams of schnitzel for lunch, with a muffin. And skip the exercise today because it's cold.

Seriously. You know more about this than a dietitian? Go you …

I was talking more about the psychology side of things. Lots of people have a really ■■■■■■ yp relationship with food. We live in an environment where it’s okay to actively discriminate against overweight people as lazy but advertise and have huge amount of foods available. Women (and increasingly men) are told or think they’re overweight from a very young age - teenagers rank body image as their number one issue (above environment and family violence!)

Also some people do really well on lower carbs, some don’t, some do better on a low fat, some do well on kilojoule counting (although in my experience not long term), alot do really well focusing on mindfullness.

If it were easy it wouldn’t be an industry wo r h billions built on repeat custom.

Doesnt help fast food is cheaper…

$10+ for a sandwich at Healthy Habits… far out

Doesnt help fast food is cheaper..

$10+ for a sandwich at Healthy Habits… far out

Furthermore the great irony is the more you excercise the more you want/need to eat. So you begin to look for fast/cheap/filling food and NOTHING exists that is also healthy.

On Day 7 of Ln’E. Dont feel as hungry and I really do notice the portion difference.

Compared to normally having a T bone steak 2 roast potato and cup of vegies. L n’ E do a smaller steak and load up big on half plate of vegies and half a roast potato.

Only treat meal was 4 slices of pizza on Friday night during the game and a can of coke zero each night with the wife (thats changed from previously having 2 a day)

Total weight loss post surgery: 3.8kg

I was talking more about the psychology side of things. Lots of people have a really ■■■■■■ yp relationship with food. We live in an environment where it's okay to actively discriminate against overweight people as lazy but advertise and have huge amount of foods available. Women (and increasingly men) are told or think they're overweight from a very young age - teenagers rank body image as their number one issue (above environment and family violence!)

Also some people do really well on lower carbs, some don’t, some do better on a low fat, some do well on kilojoule counting (although in my experience not long term), alot do really well focusing on mindfullness.

If it were easy it wouldn’t be an industry wo r h billions built on repeat custom.

I completely agree with all that. What I was saying in my post is that while it’s easy in theory to lose weight by eating less and exercising more, in practice it’s not easy at all. I mentioned the need for discipline and willpower and pointed out that it’s a lot easier to continue overeating and not exercising enough. I agree with you that the way food is advertised and the universal availability of food in huge portions is another reason why many people are overweight and find it hard to get the excess off.

You point out that many women and increasingly men are think they’re overweight from a very young age. That’s true. But there are two quite distinct situations. One is where a young girl starves herself because she thinks that to be beautiful she needs to be like one of those anorexic-looking models that can be seen in some magazines. She obviously should not be told she’s overweight and should be encouraged to realise that it’s the model who is unhealthily thin, not she who is overweight. But in many cases young people really are overweight, and their problem is not that they starve themselves, but that they continue to overeat. Obviously the message to give to them is very different.

I also agree with Eastie Boy that simply reducing calories does not automatically lead to a good and healthy diet. Obviously it doesn’t. If a person who has been eating 4000 calories of junk a day reduces to 2000 calories of junk, it’s still junk. I don’t know much about Lite n Easy, but I looked at their website and asked them a specific question, and they say quite explicitly that their meals are constructed to give a proper balance of food types and ensure that the proper quantities of all necessary ingredients are included. I would assume that’s the proper quantities for someone with a fairly ordinary lifestyle; obviously the needs of someone training for a bodybuilding championship or a power lifting competition would have different requirements, but then again someone like that is unlikely to be eating Lite n Easy anyway.

Its all about eating and making your own good fresh food in the right portion sizes imo, and doing what ever you can to avoid the bad stuff. I pretty much never do soft drink and really cut back grog to 1 moderate session a week. When you are starting you gotta think long term, minimum 8 weeks I reckon. Set a goal and track your results daily. Count calories, it keeps you focussed
Excercise an absolute must. I am down to about 78 kgs now from a high a few years ago of almost 105. I started out walking heaps, like every day about 8+ klms, now I run every 2nd day, I usually do 2 or 3 x 7k runs during the week and a 10k run on saturday mornings. Im lucky enough to live somewhere where I can run along side the sea every day. It’s magic.
Im hooked on this new life. Its all about midnset, motivation and comittment

Its all about eating and making your own good fresh food in the right portion sizes imo, and doing what ever you can to avoid the bad stuff. I pretty much never do soft drink and really cut back grog to 1 moderate session a week. When you are starting you gotta think long term, minimum 8 weeks I reckon. Set a goal and track your results daily. Count calories, it keeps you focussed Excercise an absolute must. I am down to about 78 kgs now from a high a few years ago of almost 105. I started out walking heaps, like every day about 8+ klms, now I run every 2nd day, I usually do 2 or 3 x 7k runs during the week and a 10k run on saturday mornings. Im lucky enough to live somewhere where I can run along side the sea every day. It's magic. Im hooked on this new life. Its all about midnset, motivation and comittment
Good stuff dundalan.

I started the 12 week body transformation and am really enjoying the food and exercise. Having 2 young kids makes it hard to get to the gym so the online exercise videos are great. Looking at 1800 calories a day because I breastfeed.

Definitely something i can continue after the 12 weeks which is what i wanted.

Its all about eating and making your own good fresh food in the right portion sizes imo, and doing what ever you can to avoid the bad stuff. I pretty much never do soft drink and really cut back grog to 1 moderate session a week. When you are starting you gotta think long term, minimum 8 weeks I reckon. Set a goal and track your results daily. Count calories, it keeps you focussed Excercise an absolute must. I am down to about 78 kgs now from a high a few years ago of almost 105. I started out walking heaps, like every day about 8+ klms, now I run every 2nd day, I usually do 2 or 3 x 7k runs during the week and a 10k run on saturday mornings. Im lucky enough to live somewhere where I can run along side the sea every day. It's magic. Im hooked on this new life. Its all about midnset, motivation and comittment
Good stuff dundalan.

+1. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks matt, I really pride myself on my glib compliments.

9,000 calories - good life for some haha

Am currently 1500 or less per day (no less than 1200, coz that’s a bad idea) and resumed getting 30 - 60 minutes of exercise per day. As a result, I’ve dropped 7.7 kgs since July 8th, and have zero hunger issues.

Typical day might go something like this:

Breakfast:
4 weetbix with light milk, or 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with butter and jam.

Snack:
Skinny cappuccino
Banana/Apple

Lunch:
150g chicken breast, with lettuce, cherry tomato, baby beetroot, carrot, other salady type vegies.
White tea/coffee

Snack
Apple/mandarin

Dinner
Steamed vegies (broccoli, carrot, zucchini etc) and either 150 - 200g steak, chicken or fish

Before 9:00 pm
1 piece of dark chocolate, or a couple of biccies with a cup of tea/coffee

No eating after 9pm
Min. 2l of water each day.

I got a good laugh out of this article I found

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/the-ridiculous-things-paleo-people-eat/story-fneuzkvr-1227485642691?sv=c443473ae782601fce4c8e1193a155e1

Its not easy the Paleo diet that’s for sure.

Doing FODMAP* because my body hates me.

Potted summary of FODMAP diet:
Is it tasty? CAN’T HAVE IT.

Doing FODMAP* because my body hates me.

Potted summary of FODMAP diet:
Is it tasty? CAN’T HAVE IT.

Are you doing it with a dietitian? Once symptom free there is challenges aimed to be able to reintroduce some foods. Also worth remembering that if you can live with the symptoms you can eat the food its not going to cause damage.

Waiting for an appointment with this Shepherd character. As far as you know, do you normally need a referral from a GP to see a private practice dietitian?

Yes, have been struggling with IBS-ey type symptoms. Have been diagnosed as UC but getting worse this year.

General plan is to hit this hard for 6 weeks or so then start re-introducing stuff - pending dietitian consult.

Don’t need a referral. If you have health insurance it may be covered. And if you’re seeing Sue Shepherd she discovered this FODMAP thing (and owns the trademark) so she knows in better than anyone.

1 Like

Yep, thanks for that.

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/the-ridiculous-things-paleo-people-eat/story-fneuzkvr-1227485642691?sv=c443473ae782601fce4c8e1193a155e1

Crossfitters drinking breast milk is one I can’t forget. Surely an Onion article I read.