Dumb Questions Amnesty

I think it’s 2.1 lbs

Normally they’ll say 2 pounds and 2 ounces

Not sure when but it’s not that long ago they quoted bond prices in thirty-seconds, e.g. 93 and 5/32…the ‘and’ is just there to avoid ambiguity.

1 Like

It’s about a kilo, who cares what derp measurements they use?

1 Like

How much could you get for thruppence ha’penny?

1 Like

There’s such a thing as American Imperialism, where (for eg) they literally split an inch into 10.

Is the “inside lane” the left lane or is the inside lane the right lane? or is the outside the left?

I always felt the outside lane is the right lane…

ie: you on merge into the inside lane for instance… you over take on outside right hand lane, to over take on the inside is to use the left lane… Im worried i have been wrong all my life on this and no one pulled me up on it (pardon the pun)

do you even drive, bro?

1 Like

I’d never thought of that before, but in a freeway sense I see your dilemma, … and it would get worse if you add in racing parlance, where the inside is either left or right depending on which way the next corner turns.

One for Geoffery Robinson i think …

Could somebody explain how the term “essington” came into being?

In my opinion -
The frustration at not having your team win when you want them to, combined with a limitation in being able to define why that happens, results in over-simplifying the cause with terms like 'didn’t want it bad enough’, ‘came unprepared’, 'don’t have killer instinct’, ‘culture of mediocrity’, and so on. The next mental level down from those vague simplicities, is combining it all into one condensed ugg word - ‘essington’.

2 Likes

If someone asks you for a double entendre, should you give 'em one?

1 Like

Don’t be silly…give 'em what they asked for.

If they’ve asked for a double, surely a gentleman would give two if he was able.

1 Like

Who is pushing the Christmas in July carp? Retailers? Really who is behind this dumb idea?

Retailers. I hate it too, so freaking dumb. Even if it was meant to celebrate the winter solstice in Aus, it’s in the wrong month. It should be 21st of June. FFS!!

I think perhaps it started many years ago as a mid winter fundraising event for local sports clubs. I remember by dads golf club did it every year as did our netball club.

1 Like

Presumably it can’t be in June as that slot is already occupied by end of financial year stuff… marketing 101, people!

And July is usually much colder than June.

But to me, a traditional Christmas is prawns and salads on a stinking hot summer day.

1 Like

In horticulture learnings, the coldest time of the year is the 6 weeks after the winter solstice.

1 Like

Not just sport clubs. It was a big thing with corporates in the 80’s / 90’s

1 Like

10 days to go & counting …

1 Like