Dumb Questions Amnesty

[serious]
Are you really wanting to know/understand, or just commentating on how awesome it is?

What I find additionally amazing, is that you can turn your amp off, ensure your immediate environment is reasonably quiet, am still hear the music faintly as the stylus moves through the grooves.

1 Like

Bothā€¦and explain video tapes whilst you are at it.

I will, tonight sometime.

If you plug in headphones in a mic input it will work as a microphone.

Iā€™m going to do this as an ā€˜ELI5ā€™
Sound is essentially frequencies of vibrations. We have evolved to decode vibrations travelling through a medium (air, water, solids) and understand information through it. We transmit these vibrations, as well as receive them. Over the extremely lengthy period of our physical evolution, the information we transfer has become extremely complex, comparable to our other main information input faculties - sight and taste and touch.
Back to vibrations. We create sound by creating vibrations, and ā€˜hearā€™ sound by decoding vibrations. ā€˜Hi fidelityā€™ is a higher resolution of sound.We can create sound by, for example, clapping our hands together which creates certain frequencies of vibration, that travel through the air and are decoded by a listeners inner ear/cochlea/brain.
Image if you had a device - a kind of membrane or drum perhaps, so finely balanced that these ā€˜vibrationsā€™ effected it, causing it to predictably react. And imagine that part of this reaction was to ā€˜imprintā€™ a ā€˜copyā€™ or ā€˜simulacrumā€™ of these vibrations onto a receiving platform. An analogy would be like tapping a pencil-point to a beat, onto a travelling strip of paper. The 'dots or/and dashes would represent the beat you are conveying.
With vinyl records, the original recording is made by ā€˜cuttingā€™ a very tight spiral onto a spinning metal disk (covered in a special coating) via a ā€˜needleā€™. It is so finely controlled, that reversing the procedure - having a similar needle and arm riding through this pre-cut groove, reproduces the original vibrations back the other way. Amplified, we have sound coming from the record player. Subsequent disks (for market) are done by pressing, or stamping vinyl disks using the original metal ā€˜master diskā€™.
And in winding this up, I am slow to realise that you were probably pulling my leg, this isnā€™t 1970, we have internet, and you could have googled this and got a better explanation, in hi-res video ffs.

8 Likes

Is dental the only non elective thing excluded from Medicare? If so why?

Slight digress, but hereā€™s a mindfucker for you:
At the dentist the other day, I discovered that my insurance companyā€¦sets the priceā€¦to the dentistā€¦for proceduresā€¦

I think thatā€™s how it works with most medical. Then the clinician can charge whatever they want (or youā€™re willing to pay) as a ā€˜gapā€™.

But he way, anyone got a dentist they would recommend in Northcote/Fitzroy/Thornbury?

Just signed up with Smile.com.au

70 odd bucks a year, 1500 dentists to choose from, and the prices are set so you know what youā€™ll pay on each item number,

Then you can have your own private dental/extras insurance and claim the full rebate back from them as well on top of that.

Iā€™d been with Latrobe top extras for years, (which is really good), but had let it lapse for a year or 2 and they wouldnā€™t give me any of the benefits Iā€™d built up over 20 years prior if I re upped with them, ā€¦ so I went with AHM top extras, ā€¦ Unlimited Gen Dental and No waiting period on it either. ( I couldnā€™t believe that, & had to ring & confirm)

As a for instance, one item was worth up to $190 at some Dentists, but with a smile m/ship, was $120 with any of their member Dentists, and the AHM rebate on it was about $58, ā€¦ so from $190 odd to $62, and youā€™re done.

1 Like

Awesome.

Iā€™ll look into that

Iā€™m not too fussed by what I pay, within reason. I just want a decent dentist.

Thank you.
Do I am assume the master disc plays backwards or in reverse?

Weā€™ve had infra-red locking on cars for a long time now.
Why donā€™t we have it on our houses?

1 Like

Neither.

They are available, but expensive. I researched a while ago, as I was thinking the same thing.

If they were standard I imagine theyā€™d be a lot cheaper.
I donā€™t really understand why theyā€™re not.

I agree. Makes no sense.

I think two of the scum, the filth or norf played a the G that day.

What about this.

We have tags on a $2 tshirt made in Bangladesh. We know who made it, who inspected it, wjaybits made from and Joe to car for it.

Why donā€™t houses have some kind of information to show who built it, when and some other info (within reason)

Whaaa?

1 Like