Dumb Questions Amnesty

I remember being at that game, at half time in little league a kid tried to bounce the ball, it got stuck in the mud and the kid kept running , his opponent picked up the ball turned around and kicked a goal. Maybe walshy saw this and knew he had to bounce it with some force!

Essendon Bombers.

Is it politically incorrect for us to go by this name in 2017 and should we just call ourselves Essendon with a shortened term the Dons?

Works like fg, retard, Dik, spastic, gay, etc that are not fine to use these days.

Like how do players like Saad and Houli(back then) feel about being referred to as a Bomber? What happens when we get a player with the name Muhammad join the club?

Of course the ones that know and use it will refer to us as the Bombers, but it will overtime be lost as we desensitize our footy clubs name from what the term ā€˜Bomberā€™ mean now days.

The logo can stay so it has our identity in it. But we are Essendon so to speak.

Not a dumb question amnesty sort of thing, but I didnā€™t want to start a new thread.

Answering the bolded part:
Nothing, we donā€™t assume anything about someone from their name or religion.

4 Likes

Whaaa???

1 Like

Not talking about you or me. Of course we donā€™t assume. But look at this from a society perspective where racism still plays a large part.

Its part of our identity. As a kid the colours and the plane are the reason I chose the bombers.

Itā€™s always been violent imagery. Nothing new now.

But one would argue that when you were a kid the word ā€œBomberā€ didnā€™t mean terrorist? Just like when I was a kid it was okay to say gay.

(Iā€™m just supplying another point of view)

The question has been asked before, and itā€™s far more at home now when feelings count for more than facts.

The nickname comes and has always come from US Bombers stationed at Essendon Airport during WWII.
You can tell people that, and that it has nothing to do with terrorism, but it counts for nothing.

2 Likes

So should we just go back to ā€œblood stained ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€? Seriouslyā€¦

2 Likes

The Essendon Happy Clappers

1 Like

Why is a paddy wagon called so? Prefer divvy bannmyself.

1 Like

Irish cops.
Presumably an Americanism?

Seems to be prevalent in Sydney.

Is Divvy Van Australian then?

Yes, Divisional Van

More likely to be a pejorative for who was inside the wagon, not who was putting them there.

Well that would make it English, I presume.
Interesting.

Found this reference:

ā€œThe name came from the New York Draft riots of 1863. The Irish at the time were the poorest people in the city. When the draft was implemented it had a provision for wealthier people to buy a waiver. The Irish rioted, and the term Paddy wagon was coined.ā€

2 Likes

Three different theories:
.Irish getting collected and taken home after St Patrickā€™s day
. Predominantly Irish cops in NY
. Police Division (PD) wagons evolved into paddy wagons

Divvy Van is Victorian
Paddy Wagon is NSW

whatā€™s everyone else?