Dumb Questions Amnesty

In Sydney earlier this year I was celebrating a big business deal, hadn’t drink anything.

Wanted a $20 mezcal neat, in an old fashioned glass, to sip. The guy understood what I wanted, but explained I had to have at least one ice cube in it to be able to serve it.

I ain’t putting no ice in a $20 shot.

Melbourne doesn’t have the same crazy laws, or at least if you’re in the right sort of establishment you’ll be fine.

How do they cope with Limoncello???

What you do, right, is drop an ice cube into a glass, then get another shot glass, put it in that one, and then pour your shot.
Welcome.

Bit late for that now.

I’ll have to wait til I land another big deal, it’s late and I’m in Marble Bar.

But I’ll let you know how I go

If its in your street or within 1 KM of where you live NO WAY

On being told JD is out for a Month plus at the presser, …

Reporter/ Journo (??) to Worsfold … "Do you need to re think your FWD structure at all?"

If only Woosha could have stared back like this, … blink he would have …

Wins Dumbest question of the year so far for mine.

That’s not how this thread works. That goes in the death of journalism thread.

1 Like

Is it possible to have a 2 day hamstring strain? Or is it a 48 hour cramp?
Did some serious training with no noticeable injury. During the night I woke up with some pain in my left hamstring. Could hardly walk the next day, but the pain eased with movement. Day after it was much better. Then gone. Never had a sore hammy in my life. WTF was that?

I did that in my cricket days. Tugged it badly early in the day and was OK 2 days later.

My teammates said that only genuine athletes do the hamstring, so I was safe.

So for non-athletes like us we can have hammy tugs which repair themselves in 2 days. The track athletes that take 12 weeks to recover would probably die to have our recuperative powers.

Whereas I wouldn’t run a hundred metres flat out unless there was a MICA present with a spare defibrillator.

where did all the blue-stone come from that we see everywhere in Melbourne and Victoria?

Melbourne buildings, streets and gutters are lined with it. along with similar uses in towns around the state. Im assuming the stone that lines train tracks, and rocks that go into making roads come from the same source. ITS EVERYWHERE!

surely there is one huge hole in the ground somewhere that its all sourced from.

I thought it was Northern suburbs? Coburg Lake was allegedly the quarry for Pentridge.

1 Like

A bit of history for you tinhillterror.

Victorian Bluestone: An Affective Cultural History |

This project examines the cultural and affective history of Victorian bluestone. The volcanic basalt plains of Western Victoria are the third largest in the world, and date from 4.5 million years ago. They flowed from the west and south-west of the state more or less to the point where the Merri Creek meets the Yarra River in Melbourne.

Bluestone is hard, and difficult to carve, but immensely strong for building and foundations. It was used by Indigenous people to make stone eel races at Lake Condah, and by English settlers to make dry stone walls that were reminiscent of home but that are now distinctive of the south-west of Victoria. Bluestone is used for churches, schools and civic buildings such as the National Gallery of Victoria. Pentridge prison in Coburg was built near the bluestone quarries along the Merri Creek so the prisoners could dig out the materials to build the walls for their own gothic style prison. It is also a contested feature of urban architecture: many local councils want to concrete over the kilometres of bluestone laneways that are expensive to maintain, but are a characteristic feature of Melbourne and its inner suburbs.

This research project examines the cultural and affective history of this distinctive stone, which seems to elicit very passionate and emotional responses.

Bluestone was often quarried by convict labour, and it has been suggested that Ned Kelly, the Victorian bushranger, might have laboured in the bluestone quarries in Williamstown. Bluestone sites (cemeteries, morgues, gaols) are often said to be haunted: a major feature of contemporary heritage tourism. Bluestone was also sent back to England as ballast in ships that had brought convicts, settlers and supplies to Australia. The stone was used in buildings around the port areas of London, so bluestone also has a global history. More recently, bluestone was used to create a Cretan labyrinth near the Merri Creek in 2002: a new age meditative practice using local stone to express an ancient tradition. This labyrinth is cared for by members of the local community.

In 2015 Stephanie Trigg has dedicated her Humanities Researcher blog to keep a daily record of her research on and encounters with bluestone, from bridges, churches, monuments, schools and prisons, to debates about heritage culture, and the emotional language used to describe this stone and its distinctive use in Victoria and Melbourne. With research assistant Helen Hickey, she is building a digital archive of the way Victorians and Melbournians have worked with bluestone, in preparation for an illustrated book to be written over the course of this yea

7 Likes

From my block…bastards. I paid about $20k to get rid of a swag of it off my block. And recently had a bobcat guy in to do a little bit of work. He said he’d done the original work on the block and he’d never seen anything like it. Some rocks were bigger than a ton.

Every time I chuck a spade in the ground, there’s a frigging bluestone rock.

SW Victoria has got stacks of the stuff. Volcanoes all over the place…Mt Leura, Mt Elephant, Mt Rouse, Mt Eccles, Tower Hill…and many more.

1 Like

The Stony Rises, the most recent volcanic activity

1 Like

There’s a big volcanic field, Red Rock, turn off the A1 about 10km west of Colac, near Alvie on Lake Corangamite.

Should be heading for Melbourne soon enough.

1 Like

Interesting.

Seriously can’t imagine what melbourne, or Victoria, would look like without it.

Same as Sydney with all the sandstone.

2 Likes

That was also a major swimming area for the region back in the earlier part of last century. Had diving boards and everything.

1 Like

When did we start using CE instead of AD?