Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

Stupid question?
Can he retire and still play in the Australia v Ireland game?
It’s one of his personal goals that he wants to do.

I’m wondering how insurance (should he get or cause an injury) is arranged to a player who is no longer an employee of the AFL.

I’d actually be happy if they do what they did with Gary O’Donnell and make him do a lap of honour at the round 1 game next season.

As if that dud coach Harvey would have the slightest idea what is going on at the club.

But if he is right “screams expletives”

Harvey, you heartless swine.
Segue: I wasn't convinced watching Mark's last training session he was going to play against Adelaide. Trained in sneakers, barely moved. But he assured me and a couple others who approached him afterwards he was OK to go (just) and had a good third quarter in our win after a 0-30 start against eventual premiers Adelaide. Promised not to eat the chocolates he was given by the girl behind me before the Sunday game.

Remember Harv’s last game like yesterday. Our best win in a ■■■■ year for the club and one of the best days I’ve had at the footy.

Stupid question? Can he retire and still play in the Australia v Ireland game? It's one of his personal goals that he wants to do.

I’m wondering how insurance (should he get or cause an injury) is arranged to a player who is no longer an employee of the AFL.

I’d actually be happy if they do what they did with Gary O’Donnell and make him do a lap of honour at the round 1 game next season.

I’m sure Fletch has absolutely no issue given the importance that the AFL places on its players well being … or not

Pick him.

Let him just rest against the behind point eating a pie in the 1st qtr,
Then sub him.

Don’t think there’s a rule saying that a player can’t consume food whilst on the ground is there?
Would be the ultimate fk you to the AFL.

He’s earnt another two year deal.

3 Sep 2015 Herald Sun
DANNY RUSSELL 

Fletch must pay for that ‘other fellow’

DUSTIN Fletcher owes Essendon nothing on or off the field, but he does still owe club joker Nick O’Brien “one minute of madness”.

O’Brien has been the young Bomber charged with putting fun and lightness back into the playing group.

Since mid-season he has run “The Dice”, a weekly meeting in which the group votes on who has made the biggest social blunder.

Caretaker coach Matthew Egan introduced the idea so Essendon would be a fun place to be at while working hard.

Fletcher’s crime? Forgetting draftee Kyle Langford’s name while speaking to a school group, referring to him as “the other fellow”. Although, to be fair, he is a 40-year-old, 400game veteran.

His punishment, after rolling the dice, was to perform a minute of madness in front of the group. O’Brien said he had until today to pay up.

“We’ll see if we can get it out of him, maybe he might read a few pages out of the Old Testament that he wrote,” O’Brien laughed.

On a serious note, O’Brien said the Bombers would love nothing more than following Fletcher out one last time against Collingwood at the MCG on Sunday.

“It would be great if he could, I’d love to see him play one more … but there would be no point playing injured,” O’Brien said.

“He’s still had an unbelievable career and we’ll find a way to send him off.”

Give him another year.

This is bullshit.
If he is no chance then the club should have announced something early in the week.
If they are waiting on today’s training to decide then he must be close to 50/50 which if he is that close he plays regardless.

This is bullshit. If he is no chance then the club should have announced something early in the week. If they are waiting on today's training to decide then he must be close to 50/50 which if he is that close he plays regardless.

It’s not bullshit.
The club is giving Fletch every opportunity to play this weekend. It is the least that can be given to someone who has been at the club for 20+ years.

This is bullshit. If he is no chance then the club should have announced something early in the week. If they are waiting on today's training to decide then he must be close to 50/50 which if he is that close he plays regardless.

It’s not bullshit.
The club is giving Fletch every opportunity to play this weekend. It is the least that can be given to someone who has been at the club for 20+ years.

He’s not even training today.
I’m all for giving him every opportunity. I’m saying even if he’s half a chance just play him.

Segue: I wasn't convinced watching Mark's last training session he was going to play against Adelaide. Trained in sneakers, barely moved. But he assured me and a couple others who approached him afterwards he was OK to go (just) and had a good third quarter in our win after a 0-30 start against eventual premiers Adelaide. Promised not to eat the chocolates he was given by the girl behind me before the Sunday game.

Remember Harv’s last game like yesterday. Our best win in a ■■■■ year for the club and one of the best days I’ve had at the footy.

Was it better than the game the week before (Brisbane away)? I literally went for a sprint around the block just to use the overflowing energy I had at the end of watching that comeback, and there was that great post-match interview when Dipper swept through something 7 youngsters in rapid fire (with Lucas being the best-spoken, of course).

Was it better than the game the week before (Brisbane away)? I literally went for a sprint around the block just to use the overflowing energy I had at the end of watching that comeback, and there was that great post-match interview when Dipper swept through something 7 youngsters in rapid fire (with Lucas being the best-spoken, of course).

That Brisbane game was the first time I’d experienced spontaneoulsy hugging another Bombers fan at the game when the siren went. We’re now married.

IIRC was Harvey’s last game also the day Princess Diana died?

IIRC was Princess Diana's death on the day of Harvey's last game?
Fixed. Yes.

Also Sheedy’s 400th game as coach.

IIRC was Harvey’s last game also the day Princess Diana died?

Yep

The “Rollerball” lap of the ground after the game for Harvey was the greatest farewell ever given by a footy crowd.

IIRC was Princess Diana's death on the day of Harvey's last game?
Fixed. Yes.

Also Sheedy’s 400th game as coach.

Thanks for correcting. I didn’t mean to imply the two events were linked. I know I’m new so don’t judge too harshly.

I’m not saying they were linked. I’m just saying you had the order of importance wrong!

That game against Adelaide holds a memory.
It was s Sunday game, I was supposed to train with my local side after a hefty defeat the day before, it was finals I think.
I chose to go and watch Harvs and because of that decision I was suspended for the the next game.

I remember that game too, I sat at the cemetery end pocket and the announcement about Diana came over the pa, then it was game on and everyone went mental, wallis had a cracker that day