Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

I’m kinda happy that he doesn’t get a farewell game. Does not deserve to go out with a belting.

Can’t believe I sat up and watched the Footy Show!!!
Wanted to see some Fletch love and any possible announcement yet, Crawford was the only one who said a word on it.

c*** head Brayshaw actually gave a speech for Chappy (correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure that was last weeks news)

It’s a disgrace Fletch has been almost forgotten and the club have been tight lipped also.

Fletch is the same age as me, for my entire adulthood he has been dominating in the Red and Black. He is/was a superstar that deserves the biggest of send offs!!!

There hasn’t actually been an official announcement of his retirement yet…

‘Occasionally’ VFL playing assistant coach on the cards.

I don’t think he will retire 1 more year!

Personally, I’m pretty disappointed we don’t get to do a massive send off for this guy. I reckon I’ve anticipated this even more than I did the Hirdy / Sheeds send off. This is potentially bigger than that.

But when you play for as long as Dustin has, you earn the right to go out the way you want to. And from what I’ve gathered watching this humble champion over the last 20 odd years, a highly-publicised event with massive fanfare was never going to be his thing. If Dusty wants to sneak off quietly into the night, then so be it.

I say keep going Fletch, he wants to coach and mentor from what I hear, why not see if he can go on next year, worst case scenario, provided he can stay fit, is being a depth player in the AFL, but at the same time being a playing mentor/coach in the VFL, which isn’t bad if he wants to do it. Best case scenario is he stays an AFL player who doesn’t travel, doesn’t do 6 day breaks, and doesn’t play more than 4 matches in a row. Which still could mean 14 -15 matches. He’s recovered from groin injuries before, so this one might not have to finish him off.

Only another season to go before Mason is 17.

Fletch is a champion of essendon always will be rembered for the tremendous Torp goals from the centre square 400 dynamic games. 2 time premiership hero B&f in a premiership year Bomber legend Barracked for ess as a kid Quality person. Bleeds red and black. Son of a gun.

Must retire. He hasn’t been anywhere near playing since round 9!
The body has given up finally. Time for someone else to take his place on the list.

Starting to show some promise, I say give him a heavily back ended 7 year deal.

Groin injury in rd.9.
WTF were we doing for his rehab???

Groin injury in rd.9. WTF were we doing for his rehab???

Think of the children. Get out the “Sawsack Redemption”!

Official now

#FarewellFletch

Just received an email from the club confirming Fletch is hanging up the boots. Brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks Dustin for your years of service and many wonderful memories.

#FarewellFletch

Just received an email from the club confirming Fletch is hanging up the boots.

He "forgot" to thank Matthew Knights...

Thanks Fletch, you bow out a legend. The four minutes of highlights on the club website is only scratching the surface.

Absolute gentleman, professional and star player.
#farewellfletch
Thankyou for all the fantastic memories.

Very sad, been a massive constant for us over the years…great bloke, great player and all round champion.

That caps off the most POXY footy year I can remember.

#thankyoufletch.

Absolute Champion, Changed how defenders played the game, A true pioneer.

Shattered!

I was 7 years old when Fletcher played on Stephen Kernahan in the 1993 Grand Final.

I’m now 31 years old and don’t remember football without him.