Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

After getting their predatory emails in reply, I am forced to concur. But what is it with their target of 1500?

If they get to 1500 signatures the Government will allow D Fletcher to access an new, experimental, futuristic set of bionic groins which may allow him to play past 2050.

Sad to finally see Fletch go.

Such a humble champion too is what makes me so proud that he represented our club.

How he has survived 23 seasons surrounded by all the reprobates, narcissists, criminals, druggie, rapist, pisshead farkwits that seems to surround professional sports these days, with a clean reputation and respect from his fellow athletes is truly a great testemant to his character.

One of my great memories of him was a game at Subiaco Oval (2004?) against the Eagles, was when he had his front teeth knocked out early in the game. After a frantic search by the trainers at quarter time I think it was, to Fletches relief, they managed to find them and preserve them in milk and get some seriously quick dental work performed for him in Perth. Funnily enough though, in interviews after the incident he never seemed fazed about it at all.

Apart from all his usual on field feats that we all became accustomed to seeing, it was his speed for a big guy and ability to play on a variety of different sized opponents that stood out for me.

Fletch will be sorely missed by us Bomber faithful.

Wish him all the very best in his future endevours.

My favourite memory.

Not for him losing his teeth, but for what he did after. He came back on in the 2nd half. Essendon were getting murdered, but he came back on. Didn’t serve an on-field purpose but I reckon everyone out there with him would never have moaned about a sore this or twigged that within earshot of him again. Thin but real tough.

I Interviewed for my year 11 communications project in his second season, Paul Salmon was a family friend and he teed up for me to spend the whole day with him because it was to be a day in the life of and AFL player, his idea, he rang me at my house to set it all up but we missed the train out of Dandenong so we got to Windy Hill a half an hour late so he had to leave to his first appointment for the day so instead of waiting for him to get back we set off to meet him there but kept missing him at each place for the rest of the day until about an hour before training where he took us around the club and we had a sit down chat with him, we was very apologetic, so I handed in a video for the final called desperately seeking Dustin, good times

One smart footballer, outside the box thinker.

• Shook the goal post to attempt to spoil a kick at goal.
  • Used the big screen to track play while running with the flight of the ball.
  • tried to leap over the top of someone shepherding in an attempt to spoil Ablett rather than going around

Today's super sub? #EssendonVFL #PJVFL pic.twitter.com/SRDhGB9iEW

— Essendon VFL (@EssendonVFL) September 6, 2015

Today's super sub? #EssendonVFL #PJVFL pic.twitter.com/SRDhGB9iEW

— Essendon VFL (@EssendonVFL) September 6, 2015

Bomber man through and through. Great to see him at the ressies with his son and Jobe.

I think it's a wank to name your children after celebs but if my 2nd born was a boy it was going to be Fletcher after the great man. We had a girl. Anyway, fave moment is his run down of Garlett against the Blues in 2011, I think it was. Fark Carlton. Go Dusty!

knew a girl called fletcher.

I know a bloke called Fletcher
Infamous for disappearing for a furiously all the time. He took a ■■■■ on a campfire once. Nice bloke.

To think we now live in a Fletcherless Essendon Football Club :frowning:

No idea what happened yesterday.

I turned up 30 minutes early to hopefully see Licha and Fletch go around. Nothing.
Then I thought half time they might come out. Nothing.
Then I thought they might come out at the end. Nothing.

Great win but ■■■■ me. Geelong did it really well. We just limped it.

Would have been nice to send him off. Shows how much spirit we are lacking at the moment.

Have an idea they & the club didn’t want to have a send off while WADA is still about. Maybe after it’s over, they’ll come out for a lap at next years 1st home game.

I think it's a wank to name your children after celebs but if my 2nd born was a boy it was going to be Fletcher after the great man. We had a girl. Anyway, fave moment is his run down of Garlett against the Blues in 2011, I think it was. Fark Carlton. Go Dusty!

knew a girl called fletcher.

I know a bloke called Fletcher
Infamous for disappearing for a furiously all the time. He took a ■■■■ on a campfire once. Nice bloke.

they’re a weird lot those fletchers.

Collingwoods home game have anything to do with no send offs? Would think so. Itd be like buckly or didak getting farewelled at our home game. A 40k mostly feral crowd isnt that great to say goodbye to.

Maybe fletcher will launch a torp or fake spoil someone at the fletcher end in our first home game at jihad

Have an idea they & the club didn't want to have a send off while WADA is still about. Maybe after it's over, they'll come out for a lap at next years 1st home game.

He was give the option for some sort of farewell, I believe to lead the team out, but declined. Was in the rooms before the game but left before it started.
Pretty sure the club was keen on doing something but left it up to him.

One for the statisticians - with the retirement of Fletch (and Chapman), when was the last time Essendon did not have a premiership player on it’s list ? (I don’t know by the way).

One for the statisticians - with the retirement of Fletch (and Chapman), when was the last time Essendon did not have a premiership player on it's list ? (I don't know by the way).

One for the statisticians - with the retirement of Fletch (and Chapman), when was the last time Essendon did not have a premiership player on it's list ? (I don't know by the way).
Nope, Bryan Wood joined us in 1983 (played with Richmond when they were relevant).
Nope, Bryan Wood was on the list then (played with Richmond when they were relevant).

You the real MVP, DJR.

On a quick glance through who played that year, 1982 therefore seems to be the answer?

Absolutely fantastic.

I know most people (myself included), don’t really care for the International Rules. But Fletch playing will ensure that I watch it. After all, his desire to play in this game was the reason why he didn’t want to destroy his body by playing in Rd 23.

Hope he smashes it and its a fitting farewell game for the champ.

Just received a signed copy of the Fletch book for my birthday !
It seems there was a large queue lined up for the Fletch signing at Westfield and my daughter only just got in before the cutoff, meanwhile at the Paul Mercurio book signing on the floor below there was a conspicuous lack of numbers; like 0.
Popular, is our Dustin; as befits a legend.