Easton Wood Speaks Out On Gambling In Sport

Regulation of advertising of gambling linked to sport events would not prevent a person from gambling on a sporting event.

Yes and regulating alcohol ads has done bugger all about it’s associated negative issues
Like I said banning anything rarely if ever works but it let’s the powers that be suck people into thinking they are doing something

Regulations limiting access by minors to alcohol might have some beneficial impact, as have the .05 driving limits and close to zero for P Platers. Alcohol may not be the sole contribution to road tolls.

Regulations limiting access by minors to alcohol might have some beneficial impact, as have the .05 driving limits and close to zero for P Platers. Alcohol may not be the sole contribution to road tolls.

You missed my point, the road toll reduction correlated with the education of the masses with regard to the consequences of doing the wrong thing such as speeding, tired driving, focusing, drink driving etc it wasn’t because they banned anything, my point is EDUCATION is the best tool to reduce negative impacts due to behaviours

Regulation of advertising of gambling linked to sport events would not prevent a person from gambling on a sporting event.

No.

But it does allow kids to watch footy on TV without continually getting their brain spammed with the idea that gambling is an integral part of the game.

No.

But it does allow kids to watch footy on TV without continually getting their brain spammed with the idea that gambling is an integral part of the game.

Or that your enjoyment of the game could be significantly enhanced by gambling on it.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

Sure, adults are. But these adds are grooming kids.

And parents are there to show children how to balance their lives, don’t get me wrong, I think gambling is insidious but banning stuff doesn’t agree with my libertarian views

I’m not anti gambling. I have a bet on the horses and very rarely the footy.

I don’t want to ban gambling. What I do want is a limit on advertising gambling. You cannot watch a game or listen to footy on the radio ( abc excepted) without being inundated by gambling ads.

They want to normalise gambling as part of footy. Grooming kids to become customers. It’s happening. It’s deliberate. It’s wrong.

Yes but bottom line is their grooming kids to do something that is legal, as a parent I have a responsibility to teach my child who is now 19 the reality of life and I did, she doesn’t gamble or gorge herself on crappy fast food and she drinks reasonably responsibly.
Parents need to stop passing the buck and step up.
As a side note there are no advertisements for illegal drugs but a lot of people abuse the ■■■■ out of them.
It’s about knowledge & best available information not shielding and censorship

What rubbish.
Of course parents need to be responsible and teach their kids the right things.
And of course, when someone has a great kid or two, they proceed to lecture the majority of others who have the ‘average’ child about how crap they are at parenting and how they should act just like them. Pretty immature statement from a parent. Didn’t your parents teach you about respecting others?

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let's ban that as they shouldn't be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking.......you can't have it all

I don’t want it all.

What I want is for gambling not to be normalised to children as just another part of the game. It isn’t.

Yes you’ve mentioned but what about my point on alcohol, I see little difference to children’s exposure to a damaging substance/idea but that’s ok

No, it’s not ok.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

And parents are there to show children how to balance their lives, don’t get me wrong, I think gambling is insidious but banning stuff doesn’t agree with my libertarian views

I don’t want to ban gambling. What I do want is a limit on advertising gambling. You cannot watch a game or listen to footy on the radio ( abc excepted) without being inundated by gambling ads.

They want to normalise gambling as part of footy. Grooming kids to become customers. It’s happening. It’s deliberate. It’s wrong.

Yes but bottom line is their grooming kids to do something that is legal, as a parent I have a responsibility to teach my child who is now 19 the reality of life and I did, she doesn’t gamble or gorge herself on crappy fast food and she drinks reasonably responsibly.
As a side note there are no advertisements for illegal drugs but a lot of people abuse the ■■■■ out of them.

What rubbish.
And of course, when someone has a great kid or two, they proceed to lecture the majority of others who have the ‘average’ child about how crap they are at parenting and how they should act just like them. Pretty immature statement from a parent. Didn’t your parents teach you about respecting others?

Ouch!

No.

I think you missed the context of the comment.

Humble Minion:
I think we are in acccord. My reference - to the fact that gambling in sport would not be banned as a consequence of an advterising ban linked to a sporting event - was in response to another poster opposed to bans on gambling.

Humble Minion: I think we are in acccord. My reference - to the fact that gambling in sport would not be banned as a consequence of an advterising ban linked to a sporting event - was in response to another poster opposed to bans on gambling.

Humble Minion is not a purse-carrying nancy boy! How dare you call him that!!!

Stoke’s ■■■■■■■ home ground is called bet365 stadium.

The NSW O’Farrell Review recorded opposition by broadcasters to gambling advertising bans. Wait for Channel 7 lobbying .

What rubbish.

Was a civil conversation til you stuck your nose in
How about adding to the discussion about whether banning has a better outcome over education mr maturity, typical of you though

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/children-as-young-as-eight-influenced-by-sports-gambling-ads-

Children as young as eight influenced by sports gambling ads

Farrah Tomazin

Children are being bombarded with sports betting ads to such an extent that most of them can easily identify gambling brands, renewing calls for advertising to be scaled back during AFL matches and other major events.

With cashed-up bookmakers pumping millions of dollars into advertising and corporate sponsorship in the hope of securing a bigger foothold in the sports betting market, new research has revealed the impact this is having on teenagers and children as young as eight.

A Deakin University study released on Friday found three quarters of children can now recall at least one sports betting brand without any prompting, while more than one quarter of children can identify four or more.

Sportsbet, Bet365 and TAB were among the most familiar agencies among children; gambling ads involving celebrities had the most influence; and betting brands were now more recognisable than alcohol brands that have been around longer.

The research comes a few weeks after the Turnbull Government released the findings of a review into illegal offshore wagering, which called for nationally consistent and enforceable rules for online gambling ads.

However, the parents and children who took part in the study also held the view that sporting codes needed to take greater responsibility for the level of gambling advertising young people are exposed to.

In Victoria, for instance, several AFL clubs no longer take sponsorships from sports betting agencies, but the AFL itself has partnership arrangements with large betting houses and permits significant advertising at venues during matches.

“Governments need to show much more leadership, but it’s now time for our sporting codes to show leadership too,” said Samantha Thomas, an associate professor of public health at Deakin University. “We’re not asking for the advertising to be banned, but we do need to see a reduction and we do need to see a practical solution to make sure kids are not exposed to this to the extent that they are now.”

The research was funded by the Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation and involved 152 children aged eight to 16 years, as well as 152 parents or carers. It also found:

* Children attending AFL and NRL recalled more correct sponsorship relationships than children attending soccer games.

• “Cash back” offers in some ads were contributing to children thinking their parents couldn’t lose from gambling.

• Children aged 12 to 16 years, boys, and children who play or attend AFL matches were the most likely to recall gambling brand names.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the AFL took the view “that the benefits of maintaining relationships with wagering companies are important for integrity and regulatory reasons.”

“We do, however, understand that such a relationship must be monitored and encourage our broadcast and stadium partners to take a conservative approach when it comes to advertising,” he said.

A spokeswoman for the Australian Wagering Council, which represents the online wagering and sports betting industry, said the group had heard the community’s views and was willing to engage with the government but added: “We need to ensure that the real benefits of advertising are preserved and that any scaling back of wagering advertising doesn’t result in unintended consequences, such as more Australians wagering with unlicensed operators.”

A Sportsbet spokesman said the agency was “strongly committed to advertising responsibly and continues to actively explore ways to meaningfully mitigate wagering advertising being viewed by minors”.

I’ll explain my situation in more detail so you guys understand where I’m coming from, not a sob story just facts, my mum spent most of her life in and out of institutions from when I was 12 onwards and my dad was only interested in himself and did not step up to the mark when me and siblings needed him so we had virtually zero guidance from him which resulted in drug addiction, immaturity and little clue about life and at 21 I was doing dishes at a restaurant to maintain my habit and was clueless, I was lucky to decide to walk into the defence recruitment office and was accepted and that’s where I gat my lessons on commitment, discipline and education.
When I had a child there was no way I was not going to prepare her for life and educating her about good and bad and allowing her to experience life with knowledge was in my eyes the key not censoring or shielding her from reality and what do you know it works it’s not luck so that’s why I come with this point of view if anyone took offence to that comment I apologise except for you Deckam you can ■■■■ off

1 Like
Banning alcohol ads has done sfa about drinking and it's associated social effects are worse than ever, banning anything rarely works what should be done imo is if there is a social negative from a particular thing or activity then it should be heavily taxed and ALL money's raised spent on education, think about the road toll and how education helped reduce it dramatically we didn't ban car ads

There are mostly sensible regulations involved in alcohol advertising but it hasn’t been banned. Not really sure where your assertion that problems related to alcohol abuse are worse than ever either or how heavy taxation fits in with your “libertarian” viewpoint.

You missed my point, the road toll reduction correlated with the education of the masses with regard to the consequences of doing the wrong thing such as speeding, tired driving, focusing, drink driving etc it wasn’t because they banned anything, my point is EDUCATION is the best tool to reduce negative impacts due to behaviours

And of course speeding, drink driving and many other dangerous driving activities are both legally banned and actively enforced. Education works for a large section of society, but unfortunately there’s plenty of people out there who also need strict laws in place to stop them doing the wrong thing.

Humble Minion: I think we are in acccord. My reference - to the fact that gambling in sport would not be banned as a consequence of an advterising ban linked to a sporting event - was in response to another poster opposed to bans on gambling.

Humble Minion is not a purse-carrying nancy boy! How dare you call him that!!!

:*

It’s not about completely shielding kids from the Real world.

I don’t want my kids going to see the bombers next game at Goldfingers Arena and i don’t need them hearing what the best odds are from Brownie at Crown bet for the upcoming JLT challenge game as they eat their weat bix.

Kids are exposed to so much influential Media these days, so much more than we ever saw as kids, there needs to be limitations on what and when is acceptable.

I'll explain my situation in more detail so you guys understand where I'm coming from, not a sob story just facts, my mum spent most of her life in and out of institutions from when I was 12 onwards and my dad was only interested in himself and did not step up to the mark when me and siblings needed him so we had virtually zero guidance from him which resulted in drug addiction, immaturity and little clue about life and at 21 I was doing dishes at a restaurant to maintain my habit and was clueless, I was lucky to decide to walk into the defence recruitment office and was accepted and that's where I gat my lessons on commitment, discipline and education. When I had a child there was no way I was not going to prepare her for life and educating her about good and bad and allowing her to experience life with knowledge was in my eyes the key not censoring or shielding her from reality and what do you know it works it's not luck so that's why I come with this point of view if anyone took offence to that comment I apologise except for you Deckam you can ■■■■ off

Hear you & agree.

But I’m against gambling on/in sport full stop (like it will ever change now I know), & particularly against the brainwashing & indoctrination of children by barstad greedy people through advertising.

Sometimes even the best parenting won’t get past the subliminal psychological programming installed during childhood.

Just by the by, do you know which industry employs some of the highest paid psychologists of all?

Give you one guess.