Electric Motor Vehicles

So after a few weeks of EV ownership, how do you like it? Pros and cons?

Just to manage expectations, I think It’s still ‘slowish’. But if you’re going to have the car parked in the driveway for a few hours, or days, it’s a no brainer.

Having had to use the 3-pin plug charger up to today, I’m not ready to answer.

Being able to use a charger from solar that’s 6 times faster should show more benefits.

1 Like

I see that Tesla have opened half of their Tesla Supercharger sites to non-Tesla EVs.

Colac, Warrnambool, Geelong suitable for my trips to Melbourne. Bendigo also.

Youjust have to sign up to the Tesla app, add your payment details and off you go! Well, after charging, obviously.

My experience in my garage is that I get 15 km per charge from standard 3-pin socket, and 52 km per hour from my 7 kW single phase charger.

Next week we get a 3 phase 22kW charger installed at our factory, so I expect about 160 km per hour from it.

None of the Tesla Supercharger sites on the Hume seem to be on the list, but there are enough Evie and Chargefox sites.

It does cost 78c per kWh, compared with about 60c on Evie and Chargefox (20% discount for RACV/NRMA members). They also charge idking time of $1 per minute if you leave you car connected after charging is finished. Fair enough too…I’m sure the others will think of that after the next holiday season.

The Supercharger at Wodonga is 250kW and you just see the battery fill up. Charged me about 400 km in 20 minutes.

Not sure many EV besides Tesla can handle this quick charge.

Cost Tesla owners 64c kWH, and only ever pay the idle few if you are still there 10 minutes after charge limit and other stations are in use.

There’s a 350kw charger station at Barnawartha North about 15km from Wodonga. EV6 and IONIQ5 will handle those charging speeds.

They advertise 20% to 80% in 18 minutes. That’s over 320km.

I never measure in kms added, but in percentages.

1 Like

1 Like

Rather than EV subsidies to buy the cars, id much rather a nationalised charging network.

Price kwh should be much cheaper, way closer to retail electricity prices.

If it was dirt cheap and ubiquitous to charge I think the demand and therefore supply of cars would take care of itself.

Would have to be a national initiative by the feds i think, so the whole country is covered adequately.

Much more accessible for people of lesser means buying an electric car for work on say the second hand market who may also rent their home.(eg the young)

Ie those not getting tax discounts or have the means to charge at their own residence.

That would be a good ALP govt policy

It is a strong debate at all levels within the ALP. Major problem is just one of economic reality. On one hand great Government income is from road users with levies on petrol etc. and on the other is that the cost of super charging infrastructure is huge. Even putting 3 phase chargers into a block of units is very expensive.

The more fortunate have home charging and when allied to solar panels or wind turbines, it makes running a car very cheap. And ironically we are the people who can afford it in any case.

1 Like

Really? In comparison to subsidising new car buyers?

Its an investment in infrastructure.

Im not talking governments paying for private charging in apartment blocks. But even if they did subsidise that it would be a fairer system than handing new vehicles over to private buyers at a cheaper rate.

As for govt revenue on fuel, arent Lithium miners making money hand over foot? Surely you say look your going to cop a higher resources rent tax, but with that money we are going to incite demand for evs through better access to chargers its a balanced thing.

I think EVs give us a way to rethink the way we use cars and the space allocated for recharging. Rather than just build more ‘service stations’ on prime real estate.

It would be better for people to charge at home (where possible) than just rely on government building infrastructure.

If you had every EV user needing to use public chargers, it would be chaos.

Highway travel might be a bit different, but even then, people need to rethink how they travel and when/where they will recharge.

Standardise batteries, plug 'n play at current servos, alla Swap 'n Go.

But no, will never happen.

Those 80kwh batteries that weigh the best part of a tonne?

It’s not 4 AAA’s.

2 Likes

not necessarily. there will always be the advantage of charging on your own home infrastructure if you have solar(during the day), off-peak(overnight). Having more and more public charges doesn’t create chaos.

What creates chaos is having too many electric vehicles and not enough places to charge them publicly. ie destination chargers

government built infrastructure would be about guaranteeing cheap supply putting the chicken before the egg. for a LOT of people, 40k+ on a car is not affordable, neither is spending tens of thousands retrofitting their home.

and then there’s 1/3 of Australians who rent or live in strata accomodations where the barrier is even higher to get access to charging.

Why should those people be made second class citizens in the push to Electric Vehicles? Especially when many are the workers in the economy(more and more)

They haven’t been disadvantaged for normal petrol powered ones and in the next few years when they look at sky high fuel prices and second hand electric cars being more affordable.

why lock them out of that access with higher priced and difficult to access charging facilities?

1 Like

Hard to disagree, but after 50 years in politics, I am yet to see balance.

To me it is a no-brainer that drastic action on climate change is needed, but few in politics of all colours including Greens actually agree.

its a thing in China isnt it? Im sure I read something about trucking doing that too. (Makes sense for point to point transit).

Oz minerals here:

Not single batteries. Standardised, smaller, cart-hauled batteries.

I would be all for small Nuclear modular reactors.
Technology way better now.
Don’t need to be only for big cities as can make smaller nuclear power stations.
We have abundant resource.
it is easy to adjust use of power with solar.wind etc.

Also need to improve the electricity grid.
plus if we are going electric, a lot more recharge stations.

reduces our reliance on big oil imports.