Electric Motor Vehicles

4 lamp post charger points on my street. £3.25 to fully charge my BMW 3 series hybrid that I’ve had as a company vehicle since dec 2019. Free charging available at many supermarkets and at a charge point near my work. Can just about manage 20 miles on a full charge depending on the mix of urban and highway driving. For longer trips just have to set the satnav up and it manages the battery across the whole journey to keep the ride smooth (obviously using petrol to extend the range)

Downside is a smaller boot.

I guess AN10, if I refused to buys things because of who owns the company I would have very limited choices.

A close friend has two sons working for Musk in California, they get paid less as Engineers than other technology companies, but reckon they have the most exciting jobs ever and every new day is just fun. I have also been to Giga in Austin Texas, and it is a remarkable factory. Tesla are easily the leaders in making EV and maybe all cars. Others will catch up, but even though Musk is a flog, he is a remarkable bloke.

1 Like

Yeah not bad for a product of apartheid hey

The Model 3 looks very, very small on the road. Is it really a 4 seater?

Personal opinion but I reckon Tesla are too concerned with drag coefficients and their vehicles all look like blobs on the road. I guess that makes them different though.

Actually reasonable space inside. Lot sof room n the back for my big dog !!

The Tesla engineering seems a bit cleverer than most others. It looks OK, not an eye popper, but I drove the high powered one and it goes very quick off the mark.

When you put a lot of them side by side, they seem to have similiar traits.
All the others I have driven are new designs and nothing from the past, except th eLexus UX300e which is based on the NX200 and is a bit small. Though it has more room insdie than the NX200 as the battery takes up less room and then fuel tanks and spare wheel.

Note I am yet to find an EV that has a spare !!

Didnt he sell a ■■■■ load of shares earlier in the year to pay tax on them.

Musk buying Twitter is like Abramovich/Skase buy buying a footy club

The teslas will be designed ground up by engineers and designers only thinking about electric cars.

So I think that’s a very good thing.

A few of the other manufacturers are probably thinking about traditional cars when building them.

I’m not sure how good the Lexus might be? But if it’s nice to drive?

I think Toyota have been fairly hesitant on embracing EVs. They will get it right eventually though because well it’s Toyota.

Kia, Hyundai and Genesis are building electric cars from the ground up using their eGMP platform.

1 Like

The Lexus EV is nice to drive, actually all Lexi are nice to drive.

Check out the Youtube from this bloke

Now he gets all excited over Tesla but there is one were he tours the Giga Factory in Texas and some of this explains Teslas advantages. He also does good reports on other makes as well, he just loves “good engineering”

Kia Hyundai are going all in by decommissioning their ice research facility and starting up EV. Give it a while but they’ll come on strong.

My friends in Texas are not sure about this, I guess do ing a sales call at Exxon in this EV would be a bit risky.

americans are pretty ■■■■ in their opinion on things they haven’t had a hand in making

Yes the quality of fit out is very good.

I was more alluding to cars which have been developed from the ground up considering the different weight distribution of a battery versus say a engine in the front .

I like Lexus, Toyota do a good job on them. Especially their sedans. I’ve only driven their regular vehicles not with a battery.

Registered my interest in the BMW i4 M50 variant.
Hoping they get a demo model in Adelaide to take for a test drive but pretty impressive looking machine and specs all seem ok. It’s a little bit more pricier than the i4 edrive 40 but I still need something with a bit of toe.

3 Likes

Yep 5 seater. Plenty big enough IMO but obviously not huge. Slight benefit is there’s no drive train going down the centre of the car so the back middle seat is better than ICEVs. Do you have kids/how old?

LOL?

1 Like