English Premier League 2018/19

Dismissal from England job
“ “My beliefs have evolved in the last eight or nine years, that the spirit has to come back again, that is nothing new, that has been around for thousands of years. You have to come back to learn and face some of the things you have done, good and bad. There are too many injustices around.”
“You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains. Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap.”

“You have to look at things that happened in your life and ask why. It comes around.”

— Glenn Hoddle, from Matt Dickinson interview[20]
On 30 January 1999, with the England team preparing for Euro 2000, and amidst the fall-out from the previous season’s World Cup, Hoddle gave an interview to Matt Dickinson of The Times newspaper in an attempt to defend himself against his critics (over issues such as Eileen Drewery and his faith as a born-again Christian[21]) and show a strong front for the remainder of the qualifiers.

Dickinson’s interview revealed that Hoddle had a “controversial belief that the disabled, and others, are being punished for sins in a former life.”[20] Hoddle’s comments were criticised by several politicians including Sports Minister Tony Banks and Prime Minister Tony Blair.[22] Public opinion, based upon the immediate media furore resulted in (according to one BBC poll) 90% of respondents believing Hoddle should not continue as England manager.[23] However, the BBC survey showed that while many considered his comments insensitive to disabled people, others defended his right to express his religious beliefs by claiming that to sack him would constitute religious discrimination.[24]

Hoddle stated that he was not prepared to resign and claimed his words were misinterpreted and pointed out his contributions and commitment to organisations helping disabled people.[25][26] The Football Association terminated Hoddle’s contract on 2 February 1999,[27] which was welcomed by representatives of disabled groups.[28] The disabled rights campaigner Lord Ashley however, while criticising Hoddle’s views, defended his right to express them, likening the campaign against Hoddle to a “witchhunt” and considered Hoddle’s dismissal “a sad day for British tolerance and freedom of speech”[28][29] a view which was shared by the Daily Mirror and Daily Mail[30] and in several foreign newspapers.[24][31] Some writers considered the remarks were used as a pretext to get rid of him.[32] Hoddle apologised for the offence that had been caused, stating it had never been his intention[27] and continued to fundraise for disabled groups after being dismissed.[33] Much later criticism was made of Hoddle’s dismissal on the grounds that he had been forced out for non-footballing reasons.[34]

Maybe his karma is he continues to raise funds and campaign for the disabled.

Not much news coming out about the helicopter crash.

Hang on a sec. Hoddle is a born again Christian and believes in reincarnation? OK then.

Getting back to the football, looks like the wheat is separating from the chaff as it were. Huddersfield, Newcastle, Cardiff, Southampton all look in trouble. Fulham have conceded 28 goals from their first 10 games, including another 3 last night in their defeat to Bournemouth. West Ham, Burnley and Palace look to have enough quality to stay away from that dogfight. Early days but there looks to be some separation between the bottom 5 and the rest already…

Disgusting.

Take it with a grain on salt like any thing on twitter but I’ve read the owner and manager were on the helicopter

Yep, English newspapers are all reporting the same thing

While I wouldn’t of necessarily posted what you said HAP. I see no problem with it. To say what hodge said about disabled people is an absolute disgrace- how he is still allowed to work in the media who the hell knows

Huddle is a prized twat

I didn’t know about Hoddle’s comments but I do remember seeing Spurs play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in November 1978, and watching Hoddle, Ardiles and Ricky Villa pushed me towards a preference for Spurs.

Very un-English for the time.

I’ve posted them above, and Sammy posted them too. Both times he said basically the same thing.

I guess it’s all ok, since he did the classic PR move - apologised that people got offended.

He’s piece of poo, and I hope he gets to see his remarks from the other side.

It’s been so long since the helicopter crash an no conclusive news.

So he is as bad as you.

1 Like

‘Twas serious quality.

2 Likes

The BBC are reporting that the owner was on board.

Nine have run with the owner has been confirmed as having been on the aircraft and of course having perished. Still awaiting an official statement from LCFC. Other than the pilot, not sure who else was on board. Absolute tragedy…

1 Like

A tragic end to one of sports true fairy tales.

2 Likes

That’s awful

Look mate - Hoddle is a legend of my football club but yep his comments due to his religious beliefs are in my opinion are one of a nut jobs.
So we agree on that 100%.
That being said I’m not wishing physical harm on a bloke who has bizarre religious beliefs.

I mean I still enjoy The Mission Impossible movies.

Hoddle you will find did a truckload of charity work when he played.
So what? You will say - just saying he isn’t a monster.
Just into a weird religious belief.

So true.