English Premier League 2018/19

Hate to be negative but unless they’ve got pockets as deep as City’s they’re pig in the sky ambitions given the size and squads of the current top 6 clubs in England hogging the European slots especially considering Wovles have been a 2nd division club for most of the last 40 years.

I think the best wolves can hope to achieve is just trying to stay as long as possible in the premier league.

When you look at the composition of the premier league the last 25 years, there are 6 locks Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Everton and now cashed up Man City going forward.

After that you have the almost lock clubs who suffer a banterish relegation for a season every now and then in West Ham and Newcastle.

That’s 9 clubs, the other 11 in the league have all been hit and miss the entire period.

I guess Leicester have been able to take that step to sort of consolidation as a epl team but I still always view them as a season away from relegation and another 5 years back in the championship.

Aston Villa is the only other consistent long serving club but I don’t know how to categorize them yet after there relegation.

1 Like

is mick mccarthy

2 Likes

I saw a great article about clubs that get relegated from the PL, and the quite prevalent occurrence of some clubs being relegated from the Championship within 5-6 years of losing Premier League status (eg: Sunderland, Wigan Athletic, Portsmouth, etc). Basically clubs have a 1-3 year window after being relegated of being a “bounceback” team. You often see teams get relegated and win back promotion at the first time of asking. As clubs receive a “parachute payment” to help with the pending loss of PL TV money, and to help pay for the wages of players still on their books, financially they can almost bankroll their way back into the Premiership. But if they miss that window, they then become just another Championship club. Villa are getting near to that point. I think this is their 3rd season outside the PL? They are a “big” Championship club, but if they don’t watch it they could be the next Leeds, who are still trying to find their way back to the top flight…

Apparently if Villa don’t get promotion this season they’re looking at a points deduction next season in the championship due to some financial fair play rules the football league has.

Makes promotion this season even more important for Villa, it’s not looking likely though.

Sunderland Till I Die is a good Netflix doco about how they struggled on and off the field after getting relegated to the championship.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find our owner has enough money.

However, its not about that. Plenty of clubs have had rich owners only to wastefully spend money chasing quick fix glory. Wolves project seems different, the owners talk about working towards success setting their aims for 10 years time. The owners are committed for the long term, but I don’t think they’ll settle for languishing in the Championship, they have ambition.

There are no guarantees of course, time will tell. Love where we are at though and we never reached these heights as a club under Steve Morgan or the much loved Sir Jack Hayward.

3 Likes

“Too good to go down” is another about Man U’s temporary exit between Sir Matt and Tom Docherty s short but spectacular, and ultimately controversial stint. Lest We Forget.

I loved that doco series. They did it really well. Even the GF liked it.

Watching it was like playing a game of Football Manager.

Worth a read - such an average club. Hope they are relegated.

This is brilliant :joy:

Not like the Daily Mail to push hard for a scandalous story. I think the links they are trying to make aren’t really fair no matter how Cardiff have previously conducted themselves when a player has just died in extremely tragic circumstances.

1 Like

Chelsea slapped with a 2 year ban from signing new players

Next two transfer windows?

That’s huge.

Hope they get relegated.

Sorry 1 year ban so next 2 transfer windows. They were originally given a full 2 year ban and City given 1 year but Chelsea’s has been cut to 1 year and City’s outcome has yet to be decided but I’d think they will get off

Chelsea are well stocked for youth players but this will hurt big.

Wonder what Sarri is thinking now?

Surely Hazard goes.

COMMMEEE ONNN YOUUUU IRONSSSSS

If ever West Ham’s owners are going to have a proper crack and breaking into the top 6, the next 2 transfer windows are critical.

With Chelsea banned and Arsenal being tight, this is the chance.

We’ve got the right manager, the squad is already pushing for 7th despite injuries, next window at the end of the season we have to go for it.

1 Like

Didn’t even know there were games yesterday.
My fantasy team is now ■■■■■■.

1 Like

Big game for us tonight.
Burnley haven’t lost in a while so I’m expecting a tough one.