English Premier League 2018/19

Yes, the penalty was there because Mustafi clearly gave him a solid shove in the back with no intent to play the ball. The issue is that Kane was offside before the penalty was given and therefore the penalty wouldn’t have been given if the linesman had done his job or if VAR was being used. This is the exact reason so many of us want to see VAR introduced. The red to Torreira would most likely also have been overturned.

1 Like

Surely you jest LB. That was a red every day of the week.

It was a legit penalty and I suggest you read the rules of the English FA.

FA rules state that if “a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence.”

1 Like

The penalty was there but it was offside.

Nothing correct about it.

1 Like

He was in the process of playing the ball.

How about the square up penalty for Arsenal? Pretty soft call.

3 Likes

Yep was soft.

Auba probably recognised it as well so choked his effort.

Arsenal were by far and away the better side despite not controlling and were robbed of the 3 points.

1 Like

The rules are quite clear and it was a clear penalty.

1 Like

They certainly were organised and created better chances.

1 Like

Having a settled defensive line and just the one striker has made all the difference.

Emery is starting to get to play the way he wants.

We have had a shocking run with injury this year.

Show me these rules.

I just looked it up and it states as soon as you move to address the ball from an offside position then you are offside.

He was clearly addressing the ball when mustafi bumped him.

1 Like

Numerous sources have since came out and said that even with VAR the penalty would have stood

That states “before attempting to play the ball”!

He is fouled while attempting to play the ball so that is the difference.

He got the ball first, but studs were showing and there was a chance of serious injury. Definite red.

1 Like

Where does “attempting to play the ball” begin? The run to position, the leap?

1 Like

Both.

If he was entirely off to the side then fair enough but he is clearly playing the ball.

I’ve listened to plenty of commentary of it this morning and the majority of experts claim it to be the correct call and even the FA said with VAR it still would have stood so having VAR wouldn’t have made a difference

We can all agree that both Spurs and Gunners both suck balls

5 Likes

Everything thing I have read including that rule you just showed me says otherwise.

If that’s not offside I don’t know what is.

If that was a red card, then surely so was Rose’s attempt against the keeper where he went in studs first with both feet raised and clearly hit him in the chest. No less dangerous than Torreira’s and arguably more so as a solid direct blow to the chest can lead to heart failure.

Edit: add to that that Rose didn’t even get to the ball. It could be argued that while Torreira got the ball first his contact was careless rather than reckless = yellow card, whilst Rose was reckless because he didn’t even get close to the ball. And yes, I know that contact with the ball first isn’t in the rules, but needs to be taken into account by the ref in terms of seriousness of the consequences, i.e. careless, reckless or deliberate.

2 Likes