EPL 2017/18 Thread

You weren’t far wrong.

Think Gary Cahill won the Red Boot though.

3 Likes

Do you count it from minutes into the game? Or just outright first card?

Was really impressed with mooy really looked confident.

1 Like

Cahill won both ways - 14 mins into a Saturday 3pm game. Newcastle played on Sunday.

normally outright first, but he gets a point for getting it right imo

1 Like

Well he still sounds better than Fellaini.

I spose between Matic and Herrera now taking up that second centre mid spot next to Pogba, means that Fellaini gets far less minutes which I am all for and am still not sure as to why Mou didn’t move him to Galatasaray when he had the chance.

Be interesting to see if we still bring in another wide player and full back before the window closes though.

What is annoying is I honestly was going to write Gary Cahill, but thought to myself, nah he is the captain of his club, no way he would do something so stupid this early in the year!

3 Likes

City are just buying everyone and everything. Now chasing Alexis hard. Build you own team Pep you overrated hack.

He is losing a fair bit of credibility here this off-season IMO.

Might as well be putting out a brand new starting XI from the one he did last year the way he is going.

For someone who is supposed to be renowned for being a great manager, he seems to need totally stacked teams in order to compete ie Bayern, Barca and now City.

It’s always the case but the most important thing is winning, how he achieves that is of little consequence

He also hasn’t had to contend with more than one main rival for the title. At Barca, he only had to worry about Real Madrid and maybe Atleti at times, the rest were also-rans. At Bayern it was Dortmund, but as soon as they got close enough to challenge them they’d just by their best players and the status quo remained. In England there are another 5-6 very good teams who can beat each other. It also makes it harder to concentrate on CL if you have to worry about fielding near to full-strength teams in the League in order to challenge. In Spain he could run out a 2nd string Barca and it still would be confortably better than anything a Getafe or a Villareal or whoever else they would be up against.

3 Likes

Agreed. Still doesn’t make them be liked anymore.

Would love to see them have 0 success.

Real’s asensio kid is insane.

They bought him for an absolute pittance as well.

Neymar sold, Suarez out for a month due to injury. Reckon Barca might be getting a little desperate. In other news, Virgil van Dijk has been spotted in London, fueling interest that he might be Chelsea bound, however Liverpool also have an administrative base in the English capital. We have also been linked with Howedes from Shalke, a player I thought we may have signed previously. 29, but a solid CB, German international and a former teammate of Matip Would cost about a third of what VVD would and I’d be a fair bit more at ease with him at CB than Lovren, who looks like he’s gone back to his pre-Klopp form! Julian Draxler might also be on the outer at PSG with Neymar arriving. Another player we have been linked with in the past and would be an excellent signing regardless of if we lose Phil or not…

1 Like

Seems as though Liverpool get linked with as many players as Man U these days. With the amount of money going around the EPL, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just managers trying to drive up their prices

1 Like

Absolutely, it is a crazy time of the season. English clubs overpay something chronic, and it’s even worse when you buy “Premier League proven” talent as well. Is Keane, recently bought by Everton from Burnley, worth 35 Million? You get a CB from the equivalent club (mid-low table) in Spain, France, Germany or Italy and you’d be paying less than half the fee. Mind you, he has looked pretty decent for the Toffess so far, so it might be money well spent, but Howedes is being talked about for 18 Million, full German international (44 caps).

2 Likes

Same as players we have been linked with. Howedes and Draxler have been regularly linked to Arsenal, Draxler in particular.

tbf, wenger links his club to players 10 years after the fact.

1 Like

£35m for an average centre half in Keane.

Try £50m for John Stones!

2 Likes