Essendon def Geelong 110-93 Review Thread

Is that what he was saying? Looked pretty animated

Right before he kicked the sealer too

This is the respect Raz has for the handbaggers.

8 Likes

How did the octopus get up there in te first place, that’s the amazing part.

I must admit when I was at the game I thought Hartley was crap…not looking at the ball enough. After watch the replay I think he did the best he could. Hawkins is a big ■■■■■■■ and quick off the first 5 steps.I guess my frustration came when they got so close. But it made for a more exciting game.

What I dont get is the booing at Hawkins…IMO he is a pretty fair player…its not his fault the umps seemed to favor him.
We are fast becoming the West Coast/Adlelaide booing team of Victoria…at umpys or some turn who smacks one of our players for sure but not for the good sports of our game.

5 Likes

They are good mates

Geelong were poor. Were we that good ?
We still need to fix the midfield problem.
There are 2 things we have yet to try: Bird in. He averaged 4 clearances in 2016, given a lot of time at stoppages, but who goes out?
Myers in at stoppages? He averaged a respectable 4.2 clearances in 2014. I think we need to try this.

Other than that, at this point we need to rely on Hepp, and Jobe improving, which will realistically be marginal, and BJ continuing as an inside mid. Who knows if he can sustain it?

The most growth potential surely must be in Darcy and Zac. If they can lift a bit with more time in stoppages maybe we can improve by the 5 clearances a game that we need to start to break even.

1 Like

Sorry, I have no idea what your asking me?

Is that true?

Hate to see what Hurley does to his enemies.

No. We were quick

Essentially this: do you think it’s appropriate to cast a poster with a measured history of critical analysis as negative based on a valid post that suggests a player with a history of problematic behaviour, whilst being a good contributor, should address said behaviour?

I get that Luey doesn’t win many taps to advantage but I’m a big fan of his second efforts at stoppages. Always seems to just wade into the middle of it all and help out with a quick one-two or a tackle.

A lot of people have commented on Zaka’s return to form. The thing that impressed me most of all on Saturday was his courage. Haven’t watched the replay but at the ground I noticed a couple of marking attempts running with the flight - something we haven’t always seen from him. I’ve always been a Zaka fan so I’m rapt he’s found his mojo. Needs to butter up again v the Wiggles.

6 Likes

Umm, sorry, a bit too complicated for me. Are you saying it’s not appropriate for me to comment on your posts?
Are you upset? I apologise if I hurt your feelings.

1 Like

Are we playing the Wiggles? That will be a walk in the park…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Especially if Jonathan the Dinosaur gets a run with them.

3 Likes

lol

Giles has been good for them this year

I agree Geelong were poor and we shouldn’t get too excited that we scraped home.

I disagree that the improvement from Jobe & Hepp will only be marginal, I think their output can improve significantly and that it’s only a matter of time before we see that. 8 weeks isn’t that long and once their bodies get used to recovering each week and going hard again I’m sure we will see them get to more contests, win more contests and have better/cleaner ball use and decision making.

The other factor is the chemistry and we won’t see the improvement I’m suggesting/expecting if we drop Watson/Myers/Heppel for Bird just because he’s dominating at VFL level where no doubt the players I just mentioned would too (like Howlett and Stanton have).

2 Likes

As the risk of raising the ire of Resident Ray, l will say we were that good, especially in the first half. The early couple of goals set the tone. You could tell the Bombers were switched on and the Cats were in cruise mode. As a contest the game was over by half time, such was the dominance we had established. By that l mean Essendon had established the terms on how the game was to be played, the Cats were clueless to stop it. There were only two things left to be decided, the strength and length of the Cats comeback and the final winning margin. They were always going to come back at us, but they left it too late and left it to too few. Essendon had clearly played a superior game and fully deserved the win.

6 Likes

I won’t boo in general play unless something ridiculous has happened. I won’t boo a player every time they touch the ball. But when an opposition player is lining up for goal, why shouldn’t the crowd try to make it as hostile as possible? If it has a legit chance of affecting the outcome, that home team crowd can give us an advantage. Look at the impact of the Adelaide and Perth crowds.

4 Likes

Dying to catch the game. I have a flight later today on which I would nothing more than to sit back and watch it. Anywhere I might be able be find a download link?