Essendon def Geelong 110-93 Review Thread

It’s more that he can defend a 6’2 guy but not the 6’4" guys he’s been getting. IMO. I didn’t think he was playing a particularly attacking role which is Glees’ MO.

I was pretty damn drunk, and trying to be clever. Pretty coherent still, I feel.

It was pretty much what you said, though.

3 Likes

Hoping LaVerde got through the weekend without getting injured. Probably fell over in the shower at home.

You really struggle at playing the ‘clever’ role…

6 Likes

I’ve always found it weird to say “booo”, do people say “booo” or say like ooooooooo and it sounds like a booo.

How does one boo?

1 Like

I’ve never done it.
I do say fark off, carnt! quite often.
But I never boo.

3 Likes

Fanta was awesome in the last, he alone probably stopped us from getting run down, he was key in all 3 goals.

But he had two very good inside 50 opportunities at the start of the last with good options and he sprayed them both. Have to wonder if kicking the first might have just killed the cats off and resulted in a bigger win.

11 Likes

I agree with people saying that Geelong were poor but it doesn’t make our win any less impressive. We still had to pin point passes, kick to advantage and do the work and kick the goals. Otherwise any team could just say they were poor when they lose and never chalk it up to the other team pressuring them into being poor.

7 Likes

To be honest I’m just happy we broke the Geelong hoodoo. We’d lost 13 from 14 against them and the only win was that game where Melksham kicked the winner. There was a stat where Selwood had never played in a loss to us, how fcking pathetic.

If you want to be optimistic of the year, so far we’ve beaten Hawthorn, won interstate, won on Anzac Day and now beaten a pretender for the top 4. My main goal for us is to thrash Carlton & Collingwood, destroy Richmond and putting some sh*tbox teams to the sword like North & St.Kilda would be nice too. Do this, and from a wooden spoon position I think we’ve had a good year. As long as we develop the kids, bring Mutch & maybe Clarke in at some stage, and keep developing the kids. My main worry is that we still don’t have young skilled half-backs to replace Kelly/Goddard and some others.

7 Likes

The 68-21 tackle count at three qtr time I felt contributed to our last qtr fadeout a bit.

It can’t be underestimated how laying so many tackles can take a lot of energy out of players.

To withstand the Geelong barrage early in the final qtr and score goals at crucial times to help stem their comeback was the most pleasing aspect of the game for me on Saturday night.

The boys showed a hell of a lot of heart and grit to get that win and boy did it feel sensational to finally beat those farkers after being dominated by them over the past decade.

3 Likes

Wannabe, I am not expecting Jobe and Hepp to improve a lot but I am hoping !

There is another possible improvement. Thats starting to play McGrath through the midfield. At some point ( maybe even 2017 hopefully) they will start cycling him through there with Tippa, and Raz. Maybe start running him off the back of the square at centre stoppages.
As we saw in the Geelong game, the way we beat their contested and clearance dominance was to play close at stoppages and tackle a lot. Their low tackle count was mainly due to the fact that once we got the ball out wide, they could not catch us.

It gives me great pleasure to be able to say Geelong looked slower than Essendon for the first time in about 15 years.

I can confirm that kicking the first would have likely resulted in a ‘bigger’ win.

3 Likes

okay yeah the lining up for a shot is okay too IMO

Didn’t think it was that complex, but Apology accepted. Let’s all take this as a learning experience.

3 Likes

Poor behaviour?

He’s held this club together for 4 years.
You, and anyone else criticising him for being denom, denon, demom (you don’t even know what that means) are way off base.

Given the proclivities of some of the wiggles, I’m not sure I’d want to do to much ‘buttering up’

2 Likes

Including Dyson Heppel who told him to bugger off and stop yelling for the ball during his shot one goal in round one?

Always good in the VFL games

I noticed many times in the game Leuy tapped it right into the path of our midfielders 1/4 second after they passed … I reckon time will fix this.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting we somehow alter the time dimension continuum by 1/4 of a second?

6 Likes