Essendon def Geelong 110-93 Review Thread

Is CB perhaps getting Joe Dan and TIPPA confused? Easy to do.

4 Likes

Bruh he canā€™t kick 45 from a set shot.

there hes on the fkg run.

Yep - was going to mention this, but didnā€™t want to intrude on the awkward argument.
Walla should back himself in more often. Earlier on, he was quite comfortable kicking 50m set shots. This year, he seems to be hesitating, and Iā€™m not sure why that is.

1 Like

Itā€™s possible the coaches encourage him to do this and iā€™m sure if you asked the coaches and players, they would say they are fine with it.
Your assessment that he should cut it out. is your opinion and far from fact. IMO.

2 Likes

Okay, sure, I suppose itā€™s fair to say in context HAP probably meant from a set shot. However

He kicked it from exactly on the 50, and missed to the left hand side by letā€™s say half a metre. The goal is 6.4 metres wide, but letā€™s round up and say he missed the centre of the goals by 4m. The minimum distance you could kick a ball from the arc and have it be 4m from the centre when it crosses the line is 46m (because basic arithmetic). So he kicked the ball at least 46m which is, Iā€™m almost certain, more than 45m.

Bruh.

3 Likes

Heppel and Hurley both have demonstrated that they donā€™t care for it.

Doesnā€™t seem to be a breakdown in any relationships though.

Players lead every game and are ignored for what is thought a better option. This is kinda the same in my book. Weā€™ve seen them say yes and no to his requests no matter how animated

100% true.

However, both players have taken issue, on field, to him demanding the ball in these situations.

Really? That stuff goes on all the time at every leve

They all look the same to me.

1 Like

To suggest Tippa is the ā€œworst set shot heā€™s ever seenā€ and ā€œcanā€™t kick 45mā€ is a bit much. Iā€™ve seen him kick set shots and Iā€™ve seen him kick 50m.

1 Like

Tippa is too unselfish.
This recent penchant for handballing backwards(from a set shot) is costing us IMO.

It worked twice in Rd.1 when he gave off to Stants (who had to kick both outside the 50), but he may have kicked the goals himself.

It hasnā€™t worked once since Rd1 that I can remember.
If he is taking the kick from 45m out or closer, he needs to take responsibility.
The Selwood HTB Free, he would have kicked from about 44mtrs.
You canā€™t tell me that Goddard from 53m on the angle with pressure is the better option.
The last play of the night was laughableā€¦youā€™re 20mtrs outā€¦kick the goal !

4 Likes

They have declined his requests.
I wouldnā€™t say they have taken issue.

2 Likes

Hepps took issue, I reckon.

Hurley handed the ball over with a very animated discussion.

Walla handed it off unquestioningly and Goddard didnā€™t make the distance.

In any case, my original assertion, which I stand by, is that he should stop doing it. Not that his teammates think heā€™s a ā– ā– ā– ā– .

3 Likes

Breaking News:

Having listened to the media over the past two days, the AFL has seen fit to not award Essendon 4 points for Saturday night but rather take 4 points off Geelong.

Apparently Essendon didnā€™t win the game, Geelong just lost it.

19 Likes

The Lid On thread concurs with this decision ā€¦

You could replay that game 10 times etcā€¦

1 Like

I remember many years ago Blight commentating and saying that Hardwick should give up trying to be a tough guy and just concentrate on playing. However, Hardwick never did, and l am glad that he didnā€™t modify his game. To do so, would not have come naturally to him. His combative style is what made him such an effective player. Had he dropped that element from his game, l doubt that he would have been as good a player. I believe that same issue is in play here. If Goddard werenā€™t so vocal and demonstrative, he would be less of a player. It is part of their make-up. Trying to get them to drop such a fundamental aspect of their character would l feel, be an error. l am sure there are other players with different quirks, like Ballantyne, who fall into this category.

To say Geelong lost the game is facile. We played in close at stoppages so we could easily tackle them when they got the ball. We were faster than them and this enabled us to catch them and pressure them in the midfield. On our forward line our pressure was immense.
After watching the replay, I can confidently say we beat them. Fair and square.

4 Likes

There was a good point in the third where we had them on the ropes and we missed three easy shots, then Hurley kicked it to them and they goaled, then they got one from a dodgy free kick. If anything the cats were lucky to not be down by 10+ goals at 3qtr time. In fact they only kicked about three real goals and the rest off us missing an easy kick or them getting a soft free.

Also really amazing how about 5 times they kicked a goal and we kicked on straight back.