Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

I can’t see it taking off
Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women’s match, and that’s excluding parents of the kids!

I’m not sure what it is about Aussie Rules in particular, but the skill gap between genders is greater than any other sport I’ve seen

I like this a lot.
Would love to see us get on board.

I can't see it taking off Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women's match, and that's excluding parents of the kids!

I’m not sure what it is about Aussie Rules in particular, but the skill gap between genders is greater than any other sport I’ve seen

Did you watch the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs women’s match/s?

My mother always said that if you haven’t got anything nice to say about anyone/anything, then don’t say anything at all.

Pretty sure I heard that AFL is the fastest growing sport among young women.

It seems everyone in here is worried it might be boring and forgets that the game for the players is important.

I’m sure clubs and the AFL could pitch in to make it successful. They both blow so much money already.

Pretty sure I heard that AFL is the fastest growing sport among young women.

It seems everyone in here is worried it might be boring and forgets that the game for the players is important.

I’m sure clubs and the AFL could pitch in to make it successful. They both blow so much money already.

they could probably fund the whole league with essendons fines over the years

The Bombres?

Great strategic move by the AFL and EFC. Women’s Aussie Rules is the fastest growing sport in the country. Get the whole family involved and protect the market they have. Despite soccer trying to destroy itself there are just so many kids playing (boys and girls) that weight of numbers will mean that soccer will be a great commercial success. Basketball appears to have finally found a way of cashing in on the huge numbers that play at a social level and the AFL has to be concerned at what is happening with clubs at ground level. Many clubs are struggling with player payments, sponsors are harder to find, spectators aren’t as passionate (ie less money spent at the club) and the answer is getting women involved in the club on and off the field.

Getting a EFC team in place will help consolidate the growth of the game and works in nicely with our stated objectives.

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

I think that’s the plan

The “highest level of the game” hasn’t been that for quite some years, in some significant respects (negative play, interpretation of rules, media that make it all about themselves).

Delete

Yes

Sweet. We can stop the players visiting hospitals, stop our community camps, break off from Tiwi etc.

So glad that’s over. I wouldn’t have paid a cent to watch any of those.

The Bombres?

No, it will be The Bombras

Yes. Absolutely yes.

I don’t watch any of that Big Bash Garbage … but I will watch the WBBL.

I can't see it taking off Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women's match, and that's excluding parents of the kids!

Did you watch the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs women’s match/s?

I saw bits and pieces, and thought the forum footy games were a better standard

Anymore footy to get into is a good thing. Love reading reports of the VFL if I can’t watch it or get to the game. Eagerly await the training threads. If there is an EFC girls team I can get behind I will. Even more so if they are successful. It would be nice for the footy to be only about footy again.