Essendon Womens team — possibility (2015 thread)

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

This would flow from the mission statement of the club . If you dont like the policies, lobby the board to change the mission statement to something like:
New EFC Mission Statement: Do whatever it takes to win as many AFL premierships as possible.

rather than what is now:

Current EFC Mission Statement
Our long term vision is to be the most successful, inclusive and respected club in Australian sport – the benchmark club both on and off field

I think it is good for the club to be involved with but I personally have no interest in it.

I think it is good for the club to be involved with but I personally have no interest in it.
Concur
I can't see it taking off Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women's match, and that's excluding parents of the kids!

I’m not sure what it is about Aussie Rules in particular, but the skill gap between genders is greater than any other sport I’ve seen

Did you watch the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs women’s match/s?

I saw bits and pieces, and thought the forum footy games were a better standard

The VWFL is about the same standard as EFL Division 3.

I can't see it taking off Get more people spectating an under 15s training then at a senior women's match, and that's excluding parents of the kids!

I’m not sure what it is about Aussie Rules in particular, but the skill gap between genders is greater than any other sport I’ve seen

Did you watch the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs women’s match/s?

I saw bits and pieces, and thought the forum footy games were a better standard

The VWFL is about the same standard as EFL Division 3.

Which backs up my point that the skill gap in footy between genders is far greater than other sports eg tennis, basketball
I don’t necessarily think a national league aligned with the blokes is a bad idea, just don’t think it will take off

To be honest i couldn't really care less. It'd be about as interesting as women's cricket

Clearly didnt watch the product this year, harder than the mans game. An isolated example but was very watchable

Your kidding, arnt you?

I watched it. That game between the dees and dogs? It was shocking

I can’t say I would be that interested in it, although I would be more likely to tune in on TV if it were an Essendon team.

But I would much rather the AFL spend some money on something like this, basically people with a passion for the game.

Rather than all the money squandered in the black holes that are GC & GWS.

sounds like a plug for RADIO DJR!!!

The EFC job is to win AFL premierships. This is crap, noise, rubbish whatever you want to call it.

And enough of the politically correct BS as well. Would any of you pay your hard earned to watch a women’s football match ?

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

But hey - if there are female umps, won’t that even it up?

/shitstir

I always find it fascinating when men say they find women’s sport boring.
Like every men’s sporting event ever is a riveting competition with high quality play and excellent decision making. Its like, get your hands off it.

I most certainly would. The women’s game I saw on TV was one of the most entertaining matches I have seen in a long time. Far better that many of the men’s matches that have been on in recent years.
I’d hazard a guess and suggest either the rules were slightly different too, or else the umpiring was far superior.
It was a cracking match. I’ll be looking forward to the lady bombers.

Slower game makes umpiring a lot easier

Again though, if Pazza says the women’s is the same quality as Div 3 men’s; why would you (presumably) pay more to watch the gals over the guys?
Aligning with an AFL side will definitely boost numbers, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking a women’s game is going to even half fill Etithad as a stand alone game
Games need to be played as a curtain raiser, or out in the burbs somewhere

I think that’s the plan

I’d imagine so
But someone in this thread suggested 3 games a week at Etithad through summer lol

To be honest i couldn't really care less. It'd be about as interesting as women's cricket

Clearly didnt watch the product this year, harder than the mans game. An isolated example but was very watchable

Your kidding, arnt you?

I watched it. That game between the dees and dogs? It was shocking

To be fair, anything involving Melbourne is shocking to watch.

Great initiative.

FTR - I played cricket in the same team as a 16 year old girl last year. She regularly took multiple wicket hauls, and is (I think…) in the squad for NSW and VIC U/18’s. (There are some perks to living on the border.)

The relevance is that when my daughter found out that “girls can play cricket too” she began to take more interest in watching cricket.

Now - if she sees that “girls can play footy too” - she will most likely watch more footy. If that is the case - I would hate to think that she barracks for Melbourne or the Bulldogs because they have a team in the comp and we don’t.

It’s also a great opportunity to watch 3 Essendon related games on a weekend. Maybe even be able convince my wife to check out a game…

Order of interest.

Mckenna/Laverdes team > womens footy team > afl.

Might have something to do with the fact that females in this country are not bought up being taught the skills of footy and in many cases are not generally encouraged athletically in the same way that boys are. By the time guys reach the AFL they’ve usually been playing footy organised or casually nonstop for 10 to 15 years and if they haven’t they would have athletic experience somewhere else.

At the end of the day though, anyone can learn the technique to kick a footy, regardless of other people’s gendered biases.

I always find it fascinating when men say they find women's sport boring. Like every men's sporting event ever is a riveting competition with high quality play and excellent decision making. Its like, get your hands off it.

Make it a lingerie sport though, and whooooaaa!

I always find it fascinating when men say they find women's sport boring. Like every men's sporting event ever is a riveting competition with high quality play and excellent decision making. Its like, get your hands off it.

Make it a lingerie sport though, and whooooaaa!

Yes. Its a real shame that that is what it takes. Talent alone is insufficient.

Bring on the EssenDonnas

Anyone STILL thinking our Club should be the exclusive domain of men or that involving females can only occur on the basis of their appearance (lingerie?) should find themselves a glass cabinet in a museum.

#FFS

I believe he was joking.